SciFi Now reveals Shia's role?

WillKill4Food

Mutt Williams said:
I say by the end of the movie, it's up to us to decide. They will not mention it on screen. We'll only get hints that Mutt is Indy's son, that's all.

My 2 cents.
I'm pretty sure that it's safe to say that he is Marion's son.(y)

Adamwankenobi

Deckard said:
He also didn't probably plan on Indy 4 at the time. He could have simply re-written Indy's fate.

And that is exactly his problem. He's pulled the same crap with Star Wars. Out of respect for your audience, film history, and in Lucas' case, alive (Clive Revill, and George Hall at the time) and dead (Sebastian Shaw) actors, you do not alter the old to fit the new unless you release both versions in equal quality. Every other filmmaker seems to respect this except Lucas. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Lucas at one point had plans to alter the original three Indiana Jones films for DVD, but was prevented from doing so by Spielberg. Because there were no real alterations to the Indiana Jones films for DVD, the fans responded positively to the DVD set, while the Star Wars DVD set(s) have always been poorly received by fans.

The_Raiders

Hold on, I hear here his names Mutt Williams not Jones so how can he be Indys son? I sure hope Mutt doesn't take the spotlight from Indy, that would suck it'd have to be "Mutt Williams and the Kindom of the Crystom Skull" not "Indina Jones, etc" I want my first Indy film I see in theatres to be about Indy not Mutt, son or not! :mad:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
At the moment, it's Williams. We do know from the book descriptions of the junior book, "Meet Mutt" that he is in fact Marion's son. Even if he isn't Indy's and Indy and Marion do get married, Indy would accept him as a son, ergo there would be a son of some kind in the place of the daughter.

Blue Jay

okay, if his name is Mutt Williams, then how could he be Marions Son?
I always thought that children take the name of the mother.
On the other hand i read somewhere that Marion named him williams after the father, just to protect him from someone or that he could not be found...:confused:

Then he could also be willie scotts son? ;)

Man, that would be so cool :p

Blue Jay said:
okay, if his name is Mutt Williams, then how could he be Marions Son?
I always thought that children take the name of the mother.
On the other hand i read somewhere that Marion named him williams after the father, just to protect him from someone or that he could not be found...:confused:

Then he could also be willie scotts son? ;)

Man, that would be so cool :p

Huh, what? Classically speaking, men pass on their family name, not women.

Blue Jay

Well if you are married, than this rule clearly does not apply.

I just know a few unmarried mothers and their children are named after the mother. That is common practice in germany and ruled by law!

Everything else is pretty conservative...

tocksic

Blue Jay said:
Well if you are married, than this rule clearly does not apply.

I just know a few unmarried mothers and their children are named after the mother. That is common practice in germany and ruled by law!

Everything else is pretty conservative...

Who says Marion is unmarried? Maybe she WAS married. But than got divorced or something. Then Mutt could keep his Fathers name. When my parents got divorced I lived with my mother, but kept my fathers name.

Blue Jay

Then it would be Marion Williams and not Ravenwood and yes i know she could have used her maiden name again, bla bla bla.... :p

This discussion is endless :p

I dunno how it was handled in the 30s, 40s and 50s.
Is there anyone here who can?

deckard24

Deckard said:
Nah cmon guys, Indy is older now, accept it. Hes getting to that point in his life where everything is winding down and he knows soon, he'll have to retire.

Who wants to retire to nothing? When i retire I want a huge family to spend time with. And all of you feel the same way, weather you want to admit it or not. No one wants to die alone.

Plus if Marcus is dead he's got very few friends, Sallah but hes in Egypt, most of his friends are overseas, and Henry may have passsed.

I can think of nothing better then Indy getting to be happy w/ Marion and knowing he has a son to carry on his name and legacy.
These are great points!

But, my only issue is that I just can't ever picture the Indy character at home, with his feet up on an ottoman, sipping a cup of coffee, and reading the morning newspaper while Marion whips him up some scrambled eggs! It just doesn't seem plausible that a guy like Indy would ever really settle down? I've always been interested by how adrenaline junkies(mercenaries, merchant marines,and adventurer types like Sir. Edmund Hilary), usually just can't just hang up their crazy ways and settle in for a nice safe cozy life. Something always draws them back out, or the strain of years of abuse takes its final toll. I know soldiers always have gone home to families and ordinary lives, leaving the excitement for domestic bliss, but they seem to be the exception. It just seems that the more loner rogue types(like the good Dr. Jones) always have wanderlust, and can never settle down.

seasider

deckard24 said:
These are great points!

But, my only issue is that I just can't ever picture the Indy character at home, with his feet up on an ottoman, sipping a cup of coffee, and reading the morning newspaper while Marion whips him up some scrambled eggs! It just doesn't seem plausible that a guy like Indy would ever really settle down? I've always been interested by how adrenaline junkies(mercenaries, merchant marines,and adventurer types like Sir. Edmund Hilary), usually just can't just hang up their crazy ways and settle in for a nice safe cozy life. Something always draws them back out, or the strain of years of abuse takes its final toll. I know soldiers always have gone home to families and ordinary lives, leaving the excitement for domestic bliss, but they seem to be the exception. It just seems that the more loner rogue types(like the good Dr. Jones) always have wanderlust, and can never settle down.

That's a good point and Marion actually asks him about that very thing in Raiders. I think deep down Indy does want to have a normal family but his lifestyle was not set up for it. At some point, Indy ages and says "I'm getting too old for this sh&&!" This is probably the Indy we see when KOTCS begins. A man on the edge of retirement trying to figure out what he's going to do with rest of his life. I think if Indy does hook up with Marion, he'll still be be involved in Archaeology but it will different than before. Just my opinion.