"Sex" too hot for Indiana Jones at box office

James

Looks like Indy "held impressively" overseas as well. Maybe someone should tell these industry guys that a 51-54% drop in the second weekend is a bad thing? :p

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" stayed socko at the weekend's international box office with $71.5 million at 8,439 playdates in 60 territories while "Sex and the City" wowed foreign fans with $39.2 million at 3,537 in 13 markets.

"Crystal Skull" held impressively overseas in its sophomore session with a 51% decline after the fifth-largest launch of all time, hoisting foreign cume to $266 million.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117986714.html?categoryid=19&cs=1

Crusade>Raiders

gear01 said:
Indy had its one and only #1 weekend when it premiered. Next week "Kung Fu Panda" and "You Don't Mess with the Zohan" will send Indy down to third or lower, and in a month, KotCS will be a faded memory.
Hate to break it to you, but most summer blockbusters are number 1 for one weekend...I mean thats kinda how it works >_>

I meant ****, how much money you think it was gonna make :)

Also, WTF @ half the people in this thread being gay. I ain't homophobic(I don't agree with people choosing that kind of lifestyle though), but damn. Didn't know we had so many bears around.

Last edited:

Raider S

Who the F cares how much the movie makes unless you have a precentage point or something?

Yeah, yeah, Indy V. This will be the one where he flies off in the UFO to find the Lost Ark of Omicron 12.

The movie has done well. It's not huge and not small either. There's a LOT of new stuff coming out and Indy won't get that much repeat business - they're already cutting back the number of showings.

Rococo

The problem with KOTCS coming out this time of year was exactly what we are seeing- there are SO MANY big, BIG films coming out in the next few weeks, I don't know that any of them will be able to hold onto a title for long. Indy had a great opening weekend, and I suspect will be extremely formidable overseas. Paramount could not have possibly expected any different opening a film right now- a good, strong week is all that could be hoped for, with SITC opening the next weekend. I suspect if The Dark Knight was opening next weekend, it would unseat SITC just as quickly.

Also interesting to note- SITC had a very big opening day, but ticket sales then declined through the weekend- quite a common phenomenon. By contrast, KOTCS box office numbers actually grew from opening day, which is a notable accomplishment to the industry insiders.

As a woman, I've seen Indy 3 times already, and have no interest in seeing the girls of SITC gossip and drink copiously- but sadly many others of my gender are not of the same opinion.

Long-term wise, Indy is going to have box office staying power with fans, families, children, men, women etc- I suspect SITC will have tapped it's target audience, women, very quickly, then fizzle.

Rococo

Forbidden Eye said:
I don't know, I think the end of KOTCS really closed the franchise nicely(better than TLC even). If they do make a 5th one though, I really hope they don't make Indy a secondary character.

My sentiments exactly on that one! As much as I would love to see another Indy film, if there wasn't one, I think KOTCS wraps the entire thing up well- a full circle, so to speak.

UltimateManGod

Rococo said:
My sentiments exactly on that one! As much as I would love to see another Indy film, if there wasn't one, I think KOTCS wraps the entire thing up well- a full circle, so to speak.

I definitely saw this one as Indy's last adventure. I mean, in the Indy EU, it's been 10 years since his last big adventure, Infernal Machine. This will be a terribly remembered reference by me, but I remember someone here likening Indy's standing in front of the mushroom cloud to someone playing a cowboy, looking on as a modern jet flew by. I can't remember the actor or movie, or who wrote that, but that resonated with me. This was Indy's final hurrah. Now he's married and has a family, and the world has entered a different era. This was Indy's last great adventure.

|ZiR|

Crusade>Raiders said:
Also, WTF @ half the people in this thread being gay. I ain't homophobic(I don't agree with people choosing that kind of lifestyle though), but damn. Didn't know we had so many bears around.

WE ARE LEGION.

Seriously, though, it's pretty cool to find out that there are so many queers here. I thought I was the only one!

But I take exception to being referred to as a "bear." Ick. :<

psion

from Dark horizons:

Unfortunately Sex and City numbers also show that the audience are as fickle as the film's characters with the love for the film proving to be a one-night stand. Friday was incredible business with a massive $25 million opening day. The film fell fast on the weekend though - dropping 33% on Saturday and a further 23% on Sunday. In spite of its success, it certainly doesn't look to have the long-run legs of a "Devil Wears Prada" style sleeper hit.

Despite huge fanboy and online geek backlash, "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" held relatively steady in its second weekend. Disappointing business on Friday ($12m) was balanced by a surge on Saturday ($19m) with the drop-off expected to be around 54% for the weekend. In comparison well-received May openers like "Iron Man" & "Spider-Man 2" fell 48% in their second weekend, whilst generally panned ones like "The Matrix Reloaded" and the third entries in the 'Pirates', 'Spider-Man' and 'X-Men' franchises all fell 60% or more.

Indy currently stands at a $216 million total domestic and a further $146 million worldwide - pushing it ahead of 'Raiders' as the highest earner of the franchise. Adjusted for inflationm the previous two Indy sequels scored $360m & $339m respectively - numbers which 'Skull' may get near but certainly won't top.

NO ONE NIGHT STAND FOR INDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YO

psion

Garth from Dark Horizon feels it wont top the previous sequels (with adjusted inflation)

I STRONGLY BELIVE IT WILL.

He forgot Indy have not open in JAPAN.

JAPAN market is HUGE.

With Steady business as now, PLUS June 21, the opening of Indy in JAPAN.

Indy big in Japan, plus they have the Crystal Skull's ride at DisneySEA.

It will BE big numbers, close to 400 million.

Only thing is that, many reports says GL, SS, Ford wont see a dime unless is over 400. Maybe they will only collect the money after the DVD sales.

Or like Ford said on Entertainment Tonight, I will only make a few hundred dollars (IF the final box office is like 400million and 300 bucks, the SS GL Ford can split 100 bucks each to buy themselves some ice cream for the summer.

deckard24

|ZiR| said:
WE ARE LEGION.

Seriously, though, it's pretty cool to find out that there are so many queers here. I thought I was the only one!

But I take exception to being referred to as a "bear." Ick. :<
What the hell is a bear??:confused:

Sharlow

Avilos said:
The word is defense,

Sorry can't help myself, gotta comment here.

Depending on where abouts in the world you live the correct spelling of the word is DEFENCE. Only in america (I think) do you spell it DEFENSE.

James

psion said:
Only thing is that, many reports says GL, SS, Ford wont see a dime unless is over 400. Maybe they will only collect the money after the DVD sales.

Variety has already predicted that the film will probably reach the $400 million mark overseas alone.

Avilos

psion said:

There was one source for this report, don't remember where, with everyone just repeating. Many have assumed it was 400 Million domestic. But few movies ever break that. More than likely its really 400 Million total profits. Which KotCS will surely break and far and away pass.

motifone

This is because girls go to see the movie, guys stay home and download the movie they want to see.

I partially kid, as I saw Indy at the theater, but think about it -- pirating seems more like a dude thing, and Indy is now very available online.

The Man

Sharlow said:
Sorry can't help myself, gotta comment here.

Depending on where abouts in the world you live the correct spelling of the word is DEFENCE. Only in america (I think) do you spell it DEFENSE.

Yes. Glad someone was willing to illuminate that little oddity. It can't be helped that some of us are not American.

Jones_Happens

Is this a sign that the world is done with Dr. Jones? I think perhaps it is. I would love to see another two Indy films, but I think the U.S. moviegoing audience has spoken...:(