Should he find 'the one'?

Canyon

Please forgive me if this has been done before.

Regarding Indy's love interest in the fourth adventure. Should Indy find that one special person, or should he just meet a woman, as he usually does?

Personally I think that Indy should find the one. I'm not suggesting for a moment that he get married in the new film, but I think that our hero deserves to be happy. :D

I'm very interested in reading your views on this one, and once again, I apologies if this has been discussed to death before (I am trying my hardest to think of some original threads to post).

IndyBlues

That would be a good idea, although I wouldn't let it tie up the plot. I think it would be great to have Marion back, since she obviously loves him(he was her first love), and it would make peace with his old mentor, the spirit of Abner. Now that doesn't mean I want a "spirit" showing up,
like Obi-Wan in Star Wars, just in principle.
Marion would be an awesome choice. I think Karen Allen is a very underused resource in Hollywood.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I don't want him to get married in Indy 4. I just want Indy to have a relatioship like in the other movies but with an open end that can let imagine anything you want: they're together and they might get married but that eventuality is in my opinion not to be mentioned in Indy 4.

Gregoire Defence

I have no problem with that idea Canyon. It would be cool if he story takes place in the 1950's.

But anything earlier than that would not make sense, since Indy is still practicing the Player Way in the 1940's.

But I do not want to see a marage cerimony. That's for sure. They always drag those things out in films. Except Episode 2. That cerimony was pretty short;)

IndyBlues

Maybe since it is about two decades later, he's already married, possibly to Marion, and she's there, but not for the whole film, just the beginning. You have to figure, we've got about 2 hours to tell a great adventure story, let's get all the samantics out of the way from the get.
He's married, semi retired from the field work, teaching at a great college, and has to be called back to action, for the sake of the world.

00Kevin

Indyfan
man, if I have to sit through 1 more bloody movie with 'the one' 'the chosen one' or anymore of that crap I'm ganna have to live in a bloody cave!

anyways...Marion is indy's match, always has been, always will be

or indy 4 could take place in the 21st century when indy meets his mate....Canyon ;)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Hmmm...

The 1950's,

American Man find domicile woman to cook and clean for him as he ages gracefully into an archaic era where a woman's place is in the kitchen...ala June Cleaver

might make a great paradox for us to discuss if the plot centers around The Garden of Eden and redemption. Don't think so?!

Then check this out...Indy Jones Jr.'s Wife

monkey

Need more candidates

Another good topic Canyon.

Hmmmmm should IJ find his permanent mate in Indy IV?

I really don't know. I'm not too sure if I'm comfortable with IJ ever doing the getting older/settling down/having a family thing. It changes the character so much. But then I'm not really too hip on the idea of IJ in the fifties either.

But since IJ IV WILL be in the fifties then you raise a good point.

Is Marion the perfect match? Has she always been?

Well, if ever there is one scene that I think shows that, it would be the scene at the very, very end of Raiders when they are walking down the stairs together. for some reason that scene conveys a lot. They seem comfortable with one another, both the characters, and the actors that portray them (Karen and Harrison). They call it 'chemistry' I believe.

But I have always thought that the Playboy aspect of the Indiana Jones character has been under utilized. I believe that it adds an interesting dimension to the character. It even adds some extra internal conflict, with Jones often questioning his own morals in regards to his relationships with women (is it right to let women fall in love with you, and then just move on all the time?)

Anyway, before I make my selection for Jones' perfect match, I'd like to see more candidates!!

Joe Brody

Good topic.

I never want to see Indy 'settle down'.

Throughout his adventures IJ has been extraordinarily lucky and to maintain balance, I think IJ has to be equally unlucky in other aspects of his life (in other words, lucky in life, unlucky in love).

Moreover, I think that all of Indy's exploits, his academic expertise, attainment of other skills have to exact a price -- and that price is that Indy will never have the normal-type life: the smiling wife (I was always partial to Samantha Stevens myself), the suburban home and the 2.2 kids and the big old Buick in the driveway.

I have always been puzzled by Indy's behavior toward Elsa in LC and what's-her-face in ToD, and I've chosen to view his wanton behavior as confirmation that the IJ character is a broken individual who doesn't know how to sustain a mature, mutual relationship. Whatever the cause, in this day and age where all our heroes seem to becoming more plain and vanilla, I accept his misogynistic behavior because it makes Indy a more realistic character.

I think monkey makes some good points and I'd like to see more candidates -- even though I think that Marion is a good match (but as I've posted elsewhere I don't see her coming back). If Indy had to settle down, I'd rather see Indy with a strong Katherine Hepburn type (read, substitute mother) rather than a little spunky sparkplug like Marion.

bob

I don't like the idea of Indy settling down basically because him moving into the suburbs and retiring would mean the death of Indiana Jones and him living as Dr Jones.

I just dont think that anything i have seen in the trilogy would suggest to me that he should settle down or indeed CAN settle down.

Also i do not think that a love story culminating in a marriage would work in an Indy film.

Joe Brody

bob, sounds like we're on the same page. I'm interested in your thoughts -- not that it would happen in a movie -- what type of women could you see Indy settling down with? Would it be Marion?

. . . .and Finn, what's up with the Field mattress reference above and in the other thread? I think I understand but is that a line from a movie? The only gear that I was ever issued that could pass for a field mattress was a 3/4 length 1/2 inch mat. Maybe things are different in Finland.

Finn

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
...and Finn, what's up with the Field mattress reference above and in the other thread? I think I understand but is that a line from a movie? The only gear that I was ever issued that could pass for a field mattress was a 3/4 length 1/2 inch mat. Maybe things are different in Finland.
Yeah, this a real insider one. This line shows up in an old Finnish movie telling about some guys doing their draft. They're on a march and start talking about girls while on the line. A voluptuous young woman riding a bicycle goes past them and one of them says the line.

As a further reference, I can tell you that "model 18" was a cheap field matress of Swedish made used by the Finnish Army up to the 70's. It was practically disposable after one use and famous for its very very bad ability not to keep the soldier dry; one night on wet soil and you could have as well slept in a rain ditch.

[Edited by Finn on 01-12-2004 at 02:47 pm]

Joe Brody

Finn said:
It was practically disposable after one use and famous for its very very bad ability not to keep the soldier dry; one night on wet soil and you could have as well slept in a rain ditch.

I know the feeling. Thanks for the background info.

Canyon

Thank you for your replies! :D

I'm not suggesting for a moment that there is a wedding in the film, and I'm certainly not suggesting that Indy settle down in the sense of just teaching and not adventuring.

Being adventurous is part of who Indy is and if he were to give it all up, I think he would be deeply unhappy.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Renderking Fisk said:
Not enough folks have seen "The Thin Man"... a couple who goes on Advnetures together can and HAS worked in the past and could again.

I agree, but emulating The Thin Man seems even a stretch for this installment of Indy.

theinfiniteweird

I didn't read all the p[revious replies, so if I repeat, forgive me.

"Pearl Harbor" did a pretty good job at having a love story that didn't take precedence over the main point. If Indiana Jones could have the love story like that, trhen it would be fine. I agree, no marriages, it's just not Indy. I don't think he'd ever get married, but that might be unrealistic. Marion would be great, but we have to have a fourth heroine come in. I think the fourth one could be it, and Marion could understand, But that sound to much like a chick flick. Bleh. I guess I don't know what to think.

Darkweaver

Renderking Fisk said:
Not enough folks have seen "The Thin Man"... a couple who goes on Advnetures together can and HAS worked in the past and could again.
Well, Rick O'Connell and Evie did just fine adventuring as a couple.

Primo

Marion Ravenwood

For me, Indy already found the one back in Raiders. Marion Ravenwood. She was it. The only woman who had the stomach, the tenacity and the spark to keep up with Indy. She was Indy's match, man. In every way. She challenged him. They had history. She also had the best musical theme in the whole series. Listen to Marion's Theme and tell me it's not the most aching, haunting love theme you've ever heard. These two were meant to be together. Simple as the freckles on her cheeks.

What would be very interesting to me, would be to know why it didn't work out between her and Indy. Where is Marion now (not dead. That'd be such a cop out). The big thing I want to know is, did Marion leave a mark on Indy? Does he still think about her? If so, does he feel regret for the choices he made? What would he do if he got another chance? Hopefully, Indy 4 will shine a light on this aspect of Indiana's character. Is he just a shameless womanizer, or did he have genuine feelings for Marion? I say he did, but it'd be great to see this conflict played out.

MsIndy07

There is no doubt that Indy had feelings for Marion. But just like in real life, people who have a personality liek Indy, where they move around and don't settle down and live a life of action, usually let people down in the process. Indy wouldn't be the Indy we know if he settled down and got married and had a family. And Marion probably swore him off again, then secretly had his baby. Then in this movie he finds out that he has a child with Marion (Shia) and realizes that he could have done things differently. There will be some sure emotional issues in this film. Which is fine as long as there is some crazy action, and hot love scenes!!! :whip: