Shouldn't Indy's jacket in LC have a hole in it?

chr0n0naut

When Indy gets shot while rescuing the Ark from the Nazi convoy there would surely be a hole in his jacket from then on (he might have even been shot twice - the other time being in the Raven fight but I've never been very clear on that). But I don't think we see any significant jacket damage in LC.

Can you fix a leather jacket? Or maybe it is a new one? I don't like the idea that Indy can just replace his jacket or hat whenever it gets ruffled.

It takes away from that "lived in" feel his costume takes on and the concept of having the hat and jacket be "one of many" seems wrong.

I don't mind if the whips or shoes get replaced (Belloq steals Indy's whip at the start of Raiders) but the hat and the jacket are sort of icon, ya know? :whip:

Dust McAlan

I think that Indy replaces the hat and jacket whenever they're too damaged to wear anymore.

Don't forget that he left the hat and jacket on the Bantu Wind.

Indy~Annie

hmmm...i dont think he buys new hats or whips or jackets either.he he

maybe he's good with a needle? :p

i dont think there was actually a mess up on his jacket in the movies was there?

seemed like it was just his shirt.....

lol sorry i wasnt much of a help was i? he he

chr0n0naut

Sankara said:
It's not the same Hat and it's not the same Jacket, Bag and Shirt in all the movies,
I know the actual hat changes in terms of the prop. But I'm asking if it is supposed to be the same in terms of Indiana Jones canon.

Dust McAlan said:
Don't forget that he left the hat and jacket on the Bantu Wind
We don't know what happened to that hat. The is an entire thread dedicated to that question and there are a lot of theories.

Dr. Wolfwood

It has never been stated whether his clothes are supposed to be the same ones in every movie, but I highly doubt it. If I happen to like a certain type of trousers, it does not mean that I will wear the same pair year after a year. Rather, I'll replace the old ones with new ones now and then. Indy can certainly do the same.

About the hat (again, sorry): If his hat, for example, was meant to be the exact same one as Fedora gave him, they would surely have used the same hat in the young Indy series as well. But they did not. Besides, the shape of the hat that Fedora gave him is entirely different from the one he uses in the Raiders.

chr0n0naut

Dr. Wolfwood said:
If his hat, for example, was meant to be the exact same one as Fedora gave him, they would surely have used the same hat in the young Indy series as well. But they did not. Besides, the shape of the hat that Fedora gave him is entirely different from the one he uses in the Raiders.

Yeah I know the hats are different in the movies. The young Indy hats are far different from the original Fedora hat. But in movie land things can change and are still meant to be the same, if you get my drift.

I don't mind if anything other than the hat and jacket change. To me, they are iconic. The jacket maybe can change once every now and then but not very often (only when you're say, shot in the arm :p).

I would hold that the hat is meant be the same. The one Fedora (does this guy have a name!?) puts on young Indy is the same as Indy has on the Coronado ship. This, I think, is meant to mean that the hat is the same. Why else would Indy risk his ARM to get the hat back before the door slammed shut?

Dr. Wolfwood

chr0n0naut said:
I don't mind if anything other than the hat and jacket change. To me, they are iconic.

I would add the Mark VII to that list. And even the satchel had to be changed when the Sankara stone burned through it...

And, yes, I do get the point of why people want to think that the hat, jacket and bag remain the same from one movie to the next. It would be, indeed, more _meaningful_ (for the lack of a better word) if it were so. However, I'm not that bothered by it one way or the other - I think it is just as meaningful that Indy wants to hold on to the same _style_ year after a year.

loganbush

I always like to think that Indy has the same hat. It might not be practical in the real world but it works for me in the movie world.

Bantu-Wind

The jackets used in Last Crusade and Crystal Skull are noticeably different from the jackets used in Raiders and TOD (to be picky, every movie had jackets of differing designs). The Last Crusade and Crystal Skull jackets, though had different collars and snaps on the front of the jacket, which the Raiders jacket did not have.

So I'm inclined to believe that sometime after Raiders and before Last Crusade, Indy got a new jacket.

Avilos

loganbush said:
I always like to think that Indy has the same hat. It might not be practical in the real world but it works for me in the movie world.

Exactly. The idea that he has the same hat is romantic. That was whole point of Fedora giving it to him. If it was just a hat he bought in a store and replaces all the time they would not have made a big deal about how he got it in the first place. Why would he risk losing his arm to retrieve it in TOD from the Spike chamber if he just replaces his hats all the time????
Is any of this realistic? IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE!!!!

Also variations in the actual costumes don't mean a thing. Its the same hat because they say its the same hat. But the rest of his clothes don't have that significance. He would have replaced his jacket if he needed to.

Last edited:

muttjones

i couldnt think of indy if he bought jackets and hats and whips in bulk to last him the year. it just doesnt feel right.

with the hole in the jacket thing, it is a whole new adventure and story. Yes its set in a different time but its basically the same as ROTLA. and it doesnt even matter if he bought more hats and jackets after they got ruffled (thoguh its a bit weird that he put his arm under the dropping door to save it in ToD.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
With the amount of wear and tear Indy puts them through, his devotion to the outfit wouldn't mean much if he just left it the way it was. He'd look like Harold Oxley or Herman Toothrot.

Isn't it enough that Fedora gave him the basic idea for the outfit, including the hat, without his keeping the same ones over all his life. He's not going to replace them if he doesn't need to, and he probably prefers having them when he's on an adventure (hence the hat rescue from the spike room), but sometimes he needs a new one. Not that anyone needs to accept this as evidence, but I'm pretty sure one of the McCoy novels has something about Indy receiving a new hat in the mail or some such.

Indy Byrd

Attila the Professor said:
He's not going to replace them if he doesn't need to, and he probably prefers having them when he's on an adventure (hence the hat rescue from the spike room), but sometimes he needs a new one.
I agree wholeheartedly with Attila on this one. If I were on a adventure like Indy's and I dropped MY fedora or whip, I'd sure try to get it back if possible before the door shut. Remember in the openings of ROTLA in the temple when the door was shutting, Indy reached back and grabed his whip.

I don't think it wrong for Indy to replace his gear when he needs to. He had to replace his shirt, pants , and shoulder bag at the end of TOD, so why is it so hard to accept that he can replace his jacket or hat if needs be? I know that I'd replace my jacket if I was shot in the arm, too much blood to try to get out of the lining and leather never looks good sewed up, it won't last!!

Besides if we all look close enough at the whips in all four films, we can see differences there too, so is it wrong he replaces them too? I've had several whips when I was growing up (mindful they were not the same quality of Indy's whips) but when they wore out, leather breaks down, lost, etc. I got a replacement one.

We seem to forget that Indy's gear is NOT INDESTRUCTABLE!! It's the same gear that most of us have in own possesion and it wears out after a while and we too at some point are gonna need to replace it, if we use any of it at all.

Dr. Wolfwood

Attila the Professor said:
Isn't it enough that Fedora gave him the basic idea for the outfit, including the hat, without his keeping the same ones over all his life. He's not going to replace them if he doesn't need to, and he probably prefers having them when he's on an adventure (hence the hat rescue from the spike room), but sometimes he needs a new one.

Just what I was trying to say above, so I agree completely. :D

Ryre Sambere

I was on the fence over the whole hat issue for a long time and to be honest, was starting to lean toward the multiple hat idea. But after my most recent viewing of Indy 4, I noticed that during the FBI interrogation scene, the fedora is sitting on the table right in front of Indy. That confirmed, for me at least, that his hat never changes. As for the rest of his gear, I'd never really given it that much thought.

Avilos

Great observation Ryre! In reality all his clothes would have been burned because of exposure to radiation. Its the same reason the hat never falls off....
until its dramatically appropriate. But that is not realistic either.

The_Raiders

I noticed the fedora too. it's one of the FBI agents. Sorry, it's a much darker color, the crown is much shorter and shaped differently along with the brim. I don't see what the big deal is if Indy replaces his gear sometimes. :rolleyes:

Avilos

The_Raiders said:
I noticed the fedora too. it's one of the FBI agents. Sorry, it's a much darker color, the crown is much shorter and shaped differently along with the brim. I don't see what the big deal is if Indy replaces his gear sometimes. :rolleyes:

"Big Deal"? Says someone who is clearly obsessed with the shape and color of Indy's hats! LOL! I never even knew that the top of a hat was called the "Crown" until recently. Or even noticed the size differences.

I think its only the fan costumers, those obsessed with copying Indy's gear,that this issue really means anything to. Otherwise who cares?????!!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited: