Something I noticed.

the hammer42

I noticed something when I did the quiz on the Empire website.
Like everyone else, they think Indy Only says the word "sh*t" once on the rope bridge in TOD.
But in ROTL he says "Holy sh*t" when the German sub pulls next to the Bantu wind. The captain says `We have most important friends` Indy replies with `holy sh*t`.

oki9Sedo

the hammer42 said:
I noticed something when I did the quiz on the Empire website.
Like everyone else, they think Indy Only says the word "sh*t" once on the rope bridge in TOD.
But in ROTL he says "Holy sh*t" when the German sub pulls next to the Bantu wind. The captain says `We have most important friends` Indy replies with `holy sh*t`.

Good point.

Indy's delivery of "Oh, ****" in Temple of Doom was perfect, and one of the funniest parts of the trilogy, I think. Just the context of the scene, it evokes exactly how he's feeling.

swarbs

yeah he definately says holy ****
I remember also hearing 'he only says **** once in the whole trilogy' which isnt true

UltimateManGod

I'd been meaning to mention that somewhere. I first noticed it when I was listineing late at night on headphones, as to not wake my roommate. I've caught a lot of small nuances sound wise by listening with headphones.

Michael24

I've always noticed both S-words. I think my favorite is the one in Temple of Doom. I like how he looks around first, the realization of his being surrounded sets in, and then he utters it quietly. :)

Slightly off-topic, but when I was little, I always thought there was an F-word in The Last Crusade and that that's why the film had a PG-13 rating, since I learned by that point that a movie rated PG-13 could still have an F-word.

Stoo

Not as severe but Indy also says "Son of a b****." when Belloq teases him from the top of The Well of Souls.
In "Phantom Train of Doom", Remy says "F*** off!" in French!:eek:

Stoo

I found another one. The first time Indy runs the troop car off the road, you can clearly see that Gobler says "Aw, s**t!"
It is overdubbed with the German equivalent, "sch*****r!" Go watch it and laugh.:D

Blue Jay

well acutally sch*****r is wrong, i don't know why but every english speaking country i know makes that mistake in every movie involving germans, it is only s**eiße.
the word with "r" as the last letter, means someone who takes a s**t.

:p

Stoo

Thanks for letting me know! Now, I get it because the "ß" stands for "ss", right?
(I can't remember what it's called.)

Tack it down to phonetics.
To the English ear, the pronunciation of the last "e" sounds like "er" as in "Kaiser".
Spelling out the word, makes it look something like "she's" or "sheese" to an English reader.
Since I've never seen the word in print, I wasn't sure how to spell it. Still learning...
Again, thanks for clearing that up.:hat:

What's up with the Swiss-Germans? They have they own thing going on over there!
Next time I'm in Berlin we'll have to go for a big, MONSTROUS beer!

Blue Jay

We are definitely going to do that!! PM me!

The swiss language written is basically the same as german. The same goes with the austrians.
The difference líes in the pronounciation of the words.

Sometimes it is really hard to understand the swiss or the austrians.
If we have a swiss TV show on, there are often subtitles :p

That phenomenon isn't only restricted to the swiss or the austrians, but also the bavarians have their own pronounciation.
I can hardly understand them.

I think you can compare it to southern accent in the us.

Michael24

Blue Jay said:
well acutally sch*****r is wrong, i don't know why but every english speaking country i know makes that mistake in every movie involving germans, it is only s**eiße.
the word with "r" as the last letter, means someone who takes a s**t.

:p

When I had German in high school, a student was trying to pronounce something one day (can't remember what it was now) and said s**eiße by mistake, unaware that was even a word, and it caused our teacher to start cracking up, which then meant she had to try to explain what he had said that was so funny. LOL!!

The Drifter

The only times Indy curses to <b>MY</b> knowledge is:

"Oh ****" In Raiders on the Bantu Wind.
"Holy ****" On the rope bridge during ToD
He says "Damn" and "Hell" many times throughout the triolgy.
Also, if one conciders saying "Jesus Christ!" A taking-Gods-name-in-vain deal; he says that in LC. (And, gets a Connery open-palmed slap for his trouble!)

Stoo

Lonesome Drifter, don't forget "Son of a b***h." from the Well of Souls.;)
There's also a thread in the Literature section discussing Indy saying "F***"
in early editions of the "Genesis Deluge" novel.
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12916

Blue Jay said:
The difference líes in the pronounciation of the words.
I've noticed that Swiss-Germans roll their "r"s like Scotsmen.
Blue Jay said:
I think you can compare it to southern accent in the us.
That's what it's like when I speak to the French here. Most can tell I'm Canadian right away.

Anyway, if you want to see Gobler yell, "Aw, S***!", it's in the close-up shot as they drive through the trees.

The Drifter

Stoo said:
Lonesome Drifter, don't forget "Son of a b***h." from the Well of Souls.;)
There's also a thread in the Literature section discussing Indy saying "F***"
in early editions of the "Genesis Deluge" novel.
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12916

I've noticed that Swiss-Germans roll their "r"s like Scotsmen.
That's what it's like when I speak to the French here. Most can tell I'm Canadian right away.

Anyway, if you want to see Gobler yell, "Aw, S***!", it's in the close-up shot as they drive through the trees.

I forgot all about him saying "Son of a *****" while in the Well of the Souls!
Yes, I read that whole thread about the F-bomb while waiting for the approval of posting here.

In my version he don't drop the F-bomb, which I am glad somewhat. That don't seem Indy to me. lol

Stoo

Lonsome_Drifter said:
In my version he don't drop the F-bomb, which I am glad somewhat. That don't seem Indy to me. lol
No, it doesn't really. I don't know if you're into Young Indy but scroll up to my post #6 to find out where Remy drops the F-Bomb!:eek:

Have you ever read Norman Mailer's, "The Naked and the Dead" where every soldier's second word is "fug"?

The Drifter

Stoo said:
No, it doesn't really. I don't know if you're into Young Indy but scroll up to my post #6 to find out where Remy drops the F-Bomb!:eek:

Have you ever read Norman Mailer's, "The Naked and the Dead" where every soldier's second word is "fug"?

Yep. I have read "The Naked and the Dead", it is on my bookshelf along with about 200 other war novels.
Great book, but drug on at times.

I never gotten the chance to watch any Young Indy shows. I seen them on DVD at Walmart, but my wife would not let me dish out around 70 bucks a piece for them lol