Son Of A *****!

indytim

Did anyone else notice how much the exclamation/expletive 'Son Of A *****!' was used throughout the movie by different characters? That said, I believe there was more swearing in this latest movie than any of the others, probably even them all combined! If I'm remembering rightly the only use of bad language in the original trilogy was Marion screaming 'You b*stards! I'll get you for this!' in Raiders and Indy saying 'Oh Sh*t!' when on the bridge in Temple Of Doom. In Crystal Skull the word sh*t is used on several occassions (by Mutt). Is this maybe a reflection of the change in values within 1950's America or is David Koepp just a potty mouth!

Agent Z

Marion also dropped a GD bomb in Raiders, which always surprised me that it made it through on a PG film.

Dr Jones

Yeah I noticed the potty mouthed adventures of Indy too, but it didn't really detract from the enjoyment! It just showed a more liberal and free-thinking way of society, both for the 1950s and now.

It wasn't used for no reason, it did add to the scene so it wasn't just thrown in there I feel. Mutt being a greaser...well it sort of worked for his 'big-ego, big-mouth' character.

The best use of this, it has to be Mac when Indy has him in a headlock during the jungle chase (headlock AND driving a truck? Good man!), when he is trying to talk to Indy, hearing Mac call him "a stupid son-of-a-b***h" in that cockney talk always makes me smile! Someone out there does have the nerve to talk like that to Indy and get away with it!

(y)

deckard24

Yeah the swearing was pretty much even for all 4 films, maybe with the exception of LC. If anything they threw in an extra s**t, but edited out anyone getting shot! Go figure?

Katarn07

deckard24 said:
Yeah the swearing was pretty much even for all 4 films, maybe with the exception of LC. If anything they threw in an extra s**t, but edited out anyone getting shot! Go figure?

I'd agree with that. I'd rather they dropped the "Oh s**t" line in the truck when Indy cuts his pants and had Indy blown that last cemetery warrior away. Not sure if it works that way, but I hate the fact Indy draws his gun only once and doesn't even use it. The "Bull s**t!" line got laughs from the audiences both times I saw it, myself included.

deckard24

Katarn07 said:
I'd agree with that. I'd rather they dropped the "Oh s**t" line in the truck when Indy cuts his pants and had Indy blown that last cemetery warrior away. Not sure if it works that way, but I hate the fact Indy draws his gun only once and doesn't even use it. The "Bull s**t!" line got laughs from the audiences both times I saw it, myself included.
Yeah that sucks that Indy doesn't even take out one guy with his revolver! It would have been a great nod to Raiders, if the cemetary warrior went to draw on him with his blowgun, only to have Indy shoot him first!

Katarn07

Was there a gun gag at all? I don't count that Hangar 51 misfire (that appeared to be an accident) or the blowgun. It's the one Indy tradition that seems to be absent....

deckard24

Katarn07 said:
Was there a gun gag at all? I don't count that Hangar 51 misfire (that appeared to be an accident) or the blowgun. It's the one Indy tradition that seems to be absent....
You're right, there isn't one! In Raiders there was the famous Cairo swordsman duel, in TOD they made a nod to it with his battle with the two sword wielding thuggees, and then in LC there's the scene of Indy taking out 3 Nazi soldiers with a single shot from a Luger. KOTCS has nothing like this, which is surprising considering how much Koepp claims to be a super fan of Raiders, and says that's why he got into screenwriting in the first place!:confused:

Katarn07

I guess Spielberg's attitude towards guns forced it out of the final cut? There were no onscreen deaths from guns. The blowgun, the ants, and the finale are the only ones I can think of. The opening, the guys being killed are off screen and the camera's on Dovchenko. The Ugha are being gunned down but the camera's on Spalko and there's corpses at her feet. What's the deal with this?! I don't really mind, but I still feel sort of cheated Indy didn't blow anyone away.

deckard24

Katarn07 said:
I guess Spielberg's attitude towards guns forced it out of the final cut? There were no onscreen deaths from guns. The blowgun, the ants, and the finale are the only ones I can think of. The opening, the guys being killed are off screen and the camera's on Dovchenko. The Ugha are being gunned down but the camera's on Spalko and there's corpses at her feet. What's the deal with this?! I don't really mind, but I still feel sort of cheated Indy didn't blow anyone away.
It's true there were no onscreen deaths by guns! Along with those you mentioned there was also the 3 soldiers getting roasted by the jets of the rocket sled, that was pretty brutal!

I agree though, I too feel cheated a bit!

MolaRam2

I don't recall that much language from KOTCS, but I find it odd that Spielberg feels that it is okay to ratchet up the language, but the violence had to be G-rated and glossed over. If Spielberg hates violence that much, he shouldn't make an action movie, even if it is a family action movie.

There are maybe 6 or 7 cuss words in the original trilogy total.

loganbush

Originally Posted by deckard24

Nah, Raiders has a nice bit, Temple only has 2, and I can't remember. I'm glad they put the swearing in there just because it felt like they weren't making t too kiddy.

Dr.Sartorius

MolaRam2 said:
I don't recall that much language from KOTCS, but I find it odd that Spielberg feels that it is okay to ratchet up the language, but the violence had to be G-rated and glossed over. If Spielberg hates violence that much, he shouldn't make an action movie, even if it is a family action movie.

There are maybe 6 or 7 cuss words in the original trilogy total.

Hi.

The violence was not G-rated and was not glossed over.

Thank you. :D