Star Wars: The Clone Wars

The Man

sandiegojones said:
The review on MSNBC is more scathing than AICN:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26159685/

Everything about ?Clone Wars? feels a little off. Yoda?s famous verb-at-the-end syntax gets so garbled by the writers that he eventually lets out a compound sentence that seems to make no sense whatsoever. Even the legendary John Williams theme has been so badly orchestrated that it sounds like it?s being performed by a third-rate middle-school marching band. Very young kids, ?Star Wars? completists and Lucas apologists may find themselves compelled to attend;

Ouchy. Lucas has slowly strangled two legends this summer. Neither is likely to recover under his guidance. Stop this now, George. Just stop it.

sandiegojones

Yeah, I wish he'd hand over the story to people more inspired by the story and characters. He also wrote the story for The Force Unleashed game to be released next month, although in the gaming world they are more collaborative so that may turn out good. Hopefully it will be as good the KOTOR games.

I'd like to see just one long SW epic film made by another team of writers and directors just to see if they can make something cool.

The Man said:
Ouchy. Lucas has slowly strangled two legends this summer. Neither is likely to recover under his guidance. Stop this now, George. Just stop it.

"Lucas apologists may find themselves compelled to attend." Ha! That's pretty much directed at most of the members of this board.

Peacock's-Eye

I love the melodramatic terms in some of these reviews: "star wars fans have suffered heart break". Maybe if you have no life & movies are your religion. I for one think Indy4 was a success. TCW is not even aimed at adults. This is almost like the He-Man/Shera 'movie' that was put in theaters back in the 80's. This may turn off adults, but it will only bolster the growing young fanbase for SW. And all these b!thc!ing fanboiz will be back for the big video game (I forget what it's called) and the live action series, so they can complain again. And I love all the people droning that Lucas should do something else who won't bother to see Red Tails, or watch Young Indy, or Mishima, or a half dozen other things he's worked on that are different. These are the same people who wouldn't give Youth Without Youth or The Cotton Club a chance, who will only be appeased by a "franchise reviving bad ass" Godfather 4. In other words, I think the problem is more with the stupid audience.

DarthMickey

Ha-Haa=Haaa! Funny! Let me inform you dog**** is dog****! You can call it whatever you want.(Greatest Movie ever!) Haa-Haa-Haa! George Lucas is King of the World! Haa-Haaa! Man just retire already with your billions of dollars! It can only get Worse! Much Much WORSE! :gun: :sick: :gun: :eek: :gun: :dead:

Peacock's-Eye

Bunch of positive fan reviews:

Fresh, positive review:

http://www.scificool.com/star-wars-the-clone-wars-2008-movie-review/

This one's been overlooked somehow:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=film_review_star_wars_the

Another overlooked positive review:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-8662.html

Positive fan review from message board:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38652

Yet another positive fan review:

http://blogs.starwars.com/teekay-421/94

Another positive fan review, on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY5tTqaRoz4

- Actually, the more I hear about this, the less I think it's something I'm going to enjoy right now. But I'm fine with there being a SW series for modern kids, why the f*ck not?

Phantom-Train

There seem to be at least a couple people who are really excited by the bad reviews Clone Wars is getting. The reviews are mixed but someone grabs a line from a bad review, copies and pastes it in a message then claims case is closed--another Lucas failure. Why do that? I don't mean this to sound antagonistic. One of you stated the other day that you have zero interest in Clone Wars because you just don't care about that era in the Star Wars timeline--and yet you're here every day harping on the film and relishing any possible bad news for George Lucas. Why?

To those of you who feel somehow vindicated by some bad reviews of Clone Wars, allow me to remind you that Janet Maslin (prestigious critic for the New York Times) harped on the acting in a Star Wars movie too--calling the actors "wooden." That was in her review of The Empire Strikes Back, a movie I think many of you feel is pretty good.

Now, some critic looks at the characters in Clone Wars, who are intentionally drawn somewhat wooden-looking, and the critic complains that the characters seem..."stiff." Really? There's a critic who really earned a week's paycheck.

The late Gene Siskel of Siskel & Ebert complained, when Return of the Jedi was released, that the new film "lacked the humanity and richly drawn characters of the original film."

I'm not trying to say Clone Wars will be as good as the original trilogy or that the Prequels were as good as the OT. I'm just saying, don't put so much stock in what critics have to say. I read reviews too--I'm not saying they have nothing to offer, but most critics hate the kind of films Lucas makes and always have. Personally I care a lot more about what Raverners say about KOTCS or Star Wars than I do any critic--but it gets a little discouraging when some of you have such strong opinions articulated with nothing beyond, "Lucas sucks."

Here are some of my thoughts on the Prequels--hopefully they will offer context as to why I am anxious to see The Clone Wars:

The characters in the Prequels are not as much fun as in the OT. They're missing that earnestness, camaraderie and little-'ol-us-against-the-galaxy glee. But, if in Return of the Jedi, Princess Leia died and Luke turned to the dark side, I'd have been terribly disappointed. If audiences fell in love with the new characters the way many of us did with Luke, Han and Leia then Revenge of the Sith would have been almost too dark. The complete take-over by the Dark Side would have been just devastating given that the characters were so good-hearted, fun and heroic up til that moment. I know there are people who would have preferred this but Star Wars has always been light-hearted fun. It's not a Russian novel. It's not a Greek tragedy. Star Wars, like Indy, is the best of escapist, B-movie-inspired popcorn films.

As to the degree to which the Prequels are compelling as new stories, I'm sure it's easier to write a Good-vs-Evil trilogy than it is to write a Good-becomes-Evil trilogy. Let's face it, back in the mid-70's there was a reason Lucas decided to start with his episode 4--it's a better story. Despite that, fans demanded to see the back-story and then when Lucas revealed it, fans cried "but the other story was better!" Uh...yes, that's why he told the better story.

As to the acting, I wonder about anyone who comes home and says, "Honey, I'd like to see some great acting tonight. Let's check out the new Star Wars." How does it pass as intelligent criticism to write something like, "when being chased by the laser-sword carrying fur-monster on the hyper-drive bike toward the pit of doom, Natalie Portman seemed unrealistic?" And yet, critics get paid to write things like that. Why didn't critics point out how amazing Ian McDiarmid was? You'd think if they really wanted to dissect the quality of acting that might have been mentioned.

As to cynical speculation of George Lucas trying to rob fans of their money, many directors follow their early success by cranking out new movies every year simply because they are provided with the opportunity to do so. The Prequels took ten years to make. Any other director could have made ten films in that time. And if the nefarious desire of Lucas was to sell toys, does anyone really believe he was so financially strapped that he needed to put ten years of his life into making some bucks off action figures? Do people not know how wealthy he is. He could easily retire and live rich for another hundred years if he wanted.

Some argue that rubber monster suits and miniature models were more convincing than CGI. I suppose the flying coke bottles with spraying sparklers as spaceships in the old Flash Gordon serials were the most believable of all. Seriously, re-watch Return of the Jedi's speeder-bike sequence or the airplane fight in Indy and the Last Crusade. I don't know how you argue those scenes are more believable than CGI.

For many people, favorite songs, movies and TV shows from childhood are played again and again as a means of transporting back to a younger self. Asking Star Wars Prequels or KOTCS to serve in this fashion is an unfair and impossible-to-meet expectation. They are different films, watched (for many of us) in the context of a different life. How can they transport us back to a time when they didn't exist? They can't. And if that's all you wish to do, stick with the old films.

The Man

Hate leads to anger...

http://www.businesssheet.com/2008/8...ng-clone-wars-review-demands-cease-and-desist

Well, no one publishes such a scathing review under George Lucas' watch. He sent the site a cease-and-desist letter saying the site broke a review embargo. AICN caved and took the critique down. But like any review, video, or photograph nowadays, once it's been unleashed online, there's really no way to contain it.

It doesn't take Yoda to deduce that George Lucas's Lucas Arts probably wouldn't have cared that Ain't It Cool News published an early review of the forthcoming animated "The Clone Wars" if that review was positive. In fact, they probably would have been overjoyed.

George Lucas ass-nailing Harry Knowles? Get on, Gramps!

Peacock's-Eye

The Man said:
Hate leads to anger...

http://www.businesssheet.com/2008/8...ng-clone-wars-review-demands-cease-and-desist

George Lucas ass-nailing Harry Knowles? Get on, Gramps!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37885

"Regarding The CLONE WARS Reviews...

Hey, everyone. ?Moriarty? here.

I?m not going to spend a lot of time on this because, frankly, it?s being blown up into something it is not. However, I do believe that there should be a clear explanation here so that you guys know what is going on.

When I went to see THE CLONE WARS in Los Angeles, I was told there was an embargo on reviews until the day of release.

Yes. I am aware there are reviews all over the place. Welcome to the world of playing by the rules. EMPIRE, THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, and whoever else has reviews up... they know what they were told by the distributor, and I don?t. What I do know is that I was specifically told there is an embargo until the day of release by Warner Bros.

I am routinely embargoed on films. In this case, I liked THE CLONE WARS, so it?s not because it?s a negative review. Harry posted his review last night, and then was contacted and told about the embargo by Warner Bros. They called me today to re-emphasize... this is a Warner Bros. policy. As I understand it, Lucasfilm did not directly contact the site. Again... I was not the one who pulled Harry?s story. Only he can do that.

With the Massawyrm story, I have to assume it was Merrick who posted it this morning. I?m not sure why it was posted after the night we had last night, but the embargo certainly applies to him as well, and so it had to come back down. Merrick is the one who traditionally posts all Massawyrm material, and unless and until Merrick explains his decision otherwise, I?m going to have to assume it was just poor communication behind the scenes.

Good explanation? Not really. Does this whole thing stink? Yep. Sorta does. They?re having public screenings of the film, like yesterday?s show at the Egyptian, and if I?d gone to one of those, no one would be able to embargo anything. But what this is NOT is a conspiracy, gang. If you?re one of those reactionary talkbackers screaming about the situation, allow me to extend a personal invitation to you to calm the **** down.

Embargoes are a reality that any of us who do this professionally have to deal with, and the truth is that they are selectively enforced. Sometimes we?re on the winning end of the proposition, sometimes we?re not. This time, we?re going to have to play it out with the reviews posting on opening day, and not until.

As I stated in an earlier talkback, if you repost Harry?s review in the talkbacks, you will be banned. No warning. No appeal. The review is off the site until Friday. That?s an editorial decision, and frankly, Lucas?s little cartoon movie isn?t worth all this sound and fury."

TheMutt92

I don't know about anyone else, but in terms of animations I kinda wish they had stuck w/ the old 2-D style. Because w/ the exception of Pixar, 2-D is much to make look cool in appearance than 3-D. Not saying I hate the animation, but I think I'll be able to enjoy the parts of the film and episodes that deal mostly w/ non-humans and clones (its the humans that are my biggest problem).

DarthMickey

hey Phan-tome Train-I noticed you had to get away from all the points and start making up all of that BS that no one was talking about or had ever said-(.Flash Gorden coke Bottles effects better than the new movies)
I guess you have to get obscure-(Lie) to try and make a stupid point for your side by making up statements that no one made.

You can carry your Lucas Flag that says he is the greatest person ever in film all you want.The rest of us know Better. It's over. He can't tell, film or edit a story on his best day. He can't even come up to the level of a Bad Ewok film. He lives in his CGI world with Really Really bad We are the World we are the children aliens and Alien Jedi crap that everyone can't stand and really laughs about. How about Cone head Jedi-a Real Hero-really Laugh out loud Stupid! The Best part in Revenge of the sith is watching those retarded Jedi aliens go down.
He tries to cash in on Cartoon Clone Wars with a TV show that should be on TV for small children only but stops at the theater Bank first for adults. Your probably in line now...right! Haa-Haaa-Haaa! Good day to you Sir! :hat:

The Man

The pit. It seems bottomless...

http://chud.com/articles/articles/15932/1/HOMO-THE-HUTT/Page1.html

When the assembled press wasn't being bludgeoned with the excruciatingly dull action that makes up 95% of the movie, we were howling in laughter at the garbage presented onscreen, and the biggest laugh getter was Zero the Hutt. Living in 'downtown Coruscant' (what does that even mean on a planet that is one big city?), Ziro is Jabba's 'uncle' and owns his own club. He's also purple, wears feathers and body paint and talks like Truman Capote as voiced by Eric Cartman.

Congrats, George, you've offended yet another minority with your prequel movies. While The Clone Wars doesn't have the opening crawl or anyone saying 'I have a bad feeling about this,' it does have a repugnant stereotype affixed to an alien. Chinese people, Jews, blacks, move over and let the gays get on this bandwagon.

:rolleyes:

Peacock's-Eye

CHUD hate everything GL does. And that's not a review, it's a rant. Also, I'm not inclined to take their criticism seriously when they use the term "homo" in the title.

Ch4 says it's fun:

"Originally planned as the opening episodes of an animated television series, filling the blanks between chapters two and three (Attack Of The Clones and Revenge Of The Sith), Star Wars supremo George Lucas was said to be so impressed with the quality that it's been given a spit n' polish, and granted release as a full movie. This is an unwise decision, for fun as the film might be, it doesn't stand comparison with its illustrious source material."

It's hardly a bad review.

sandiegojones

People are looking to hate because that's all they know how to do. Critics are "critical" because that's their job. they are going to find as much fault as possible. Even movies with good reviews are filled with negative comments (yes, even TDK did too). This is CLEARLY meant for kids, not 30 year old fat losers who live in their parents basements. I'm taking my 4 year old and he'll like and I'll probably feel, meh. But if he has fun that's all I care about. I find it funny that the people most critical are the ones who have no lives outside of the movies and internet chat rooms.

Once again, this is a kids show. If the live action serious is lame and childish then I'll complain with the rest of you about GL. For now I get my SW fill from games like Knights of the Old Republic and hopefully The Force Unleashed since the stories are more fleshed out.