Star Wars: The Clone Wars

QBComics

Agent Spalko said:
I didn't think Star Wars could defile itself any worse than the Holiday Special or the Ewok Adventures but Clone Wars takes the saga to a new all-time low. When do Spongebob and Barney show up?

Episode 8. They travel back to Hoth but, find it's melted and is now Bikini Bottom! There, they bring along all there little friends and quickly must find Barney before Hoth freezes up once more! Then, they visit the Telletubbies only to find them kidnapped! So Barney pays them to go find them and ends up becoming a Jedi! Hoth is now a frozen wasteland. Great right!?

Phantom-Train

Agent Spalko,
Can you offer examples of accents characters could use that you wouldn't find offensive? I think it's great that you're very sensitive. We all know Lucas wants to be more sensitive, evidenced by his altering A New Hope to have Han shoot first. You might be doing Lucas a favor by stepping forward and listing all the accents you think should be off-limits.

TheMutt92

Phantom-Train said:
Agent Spalko,
Can you offer examples of accents characters could use that you wouldn't find offensive? I think it's great that you're very sensitive. We all know Lucas wants to be more sensitive, evidenced by his altering A New Hope to have Han shoot first. You might be doing Lucas a favor by stepping forward and listing all the accents you think should be off-limits.

Yes, let us see it! :D

I didn't know that in a galaxy far, far, away that some aliens speak with Scottish accents, or that all Clone Troopers speak with Kiwi New Zealand accents, or that foppish Hutts speak in southern Louisianna accents. You know, they could have worked on something that was a bit more "alien" sounding. For example, Lou Gossett Jr. came up with a Drac dialect for Enemy Mine. It doesn't take a lot to improvise an off-the-cuff dialect of vocal inflections that a good voice actor could perform instead of lazily performing common recognizable English accents.

indythecat

I finally went to see it and I enjoyed it. Probably because I went in with the mindset that I was getting to preview the pilot of a children's show rather than witness Star Wars episode 2.5....
There are some juvenille humor moments, mostly in the character of the new padawan character. She's a bit hip and irreverent for my tastes. But overall it has the potential to be a great animated series.
Batman the Animated Series was great beyond great but what if you went to the theater to see the sequel to the epic Chris Nolan Dark Knight and they showed you "Christmas with the Joker"? Does that mean BatmanTAS is horrible? I think that sort of illustrates the problem Clone Wars is facing: entertaining story but perhaps the wrong venue.
I'll just say that if Clone Wars is indicitive of the quality of the new animated series, then I wish cartoons were that cool when I was a kid (the 80's).

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was not only one of the best Batman movies ever made but one of the best animated movies of all-time. I was blown away when I saw it in the theater. If Clone Wars had strived to that level of "childrens" entertainment I'd tune in ever week to watch it like I did Batman the Animated Series. Clone Wars makes KOTCS look like Raiders of the Lost Ark. Lucas has dumbed down not only mainstream blockbusters but even children's programming. To quote Ashoka "I think he'll live to stink another day."

indythecat

No argument from me, Mask of the Phantasm is a perfect Batman movie. I still get all "goose-bumpilly" when I remember the Batman masking scene when they flash back to him putting the costume on for the first time and Alfred says,"My God...". (y)

It would take Clone Wars time to build to Batman TAS's level of awesomeness; Batman was throwing out perfect episodes in their first week of broadcast ( Heart of Ice) and Clone Wars needs a little refining. I think if I had to see the padawan girl (unless they tone down the youthful exhuberance aspect to her character) and Zero the Hutt every week it could wear thin. But I'm willing to wait and see if they trim the fat and hone their storytelling technique.

Comparing a pilot of any series to BatmanTAS' catalog of high-quality episodes would be daunting to any "new-comer"...but I hope Clone Wars can find it's legs soon and be another high mark in the history of children's animation...someday.

That's a lot of fat to trim off those Hutts. I'm thinking of selling my Sideshow Jabba because I can't even look at it anymore without thinking of Stinky and Ziro. I'd rather watch Starship Troopers: Roughnecks.

Forbidden Eye

Agent Spalko said:
Lucas has dumbed down not only mainstream blockbusters but even children's programming. To quote Ashoka "I think he'll live to stink another day."

Not sure what current children's programming you watch, but that genre has dumbed down LOOOOOOOOOONG before this series will air.

CasualJeff

Just out of curiosity, how old was everybody here when they started watching Batman the animated series? Watching it now as an adult, the show as a whole seems kind of overrated. Although I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for Mask of the Phantasm which was great. I still can't believe it bombed in theaters--it was SO much better than any of the live action movies of that time.

No Ticket

CasualJeff said:
Just out of curiosity, how old was everybody here when they started watching Batman the animated series? Watching it now as an adult, the show as a whole seems kind of overrated. Although I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for Mask of the Phantasm which was great. I still can't believe it bombed in theaters--it was SO much better than any of the live action movies of that time.

I was 7. And I still think the show is great. Not at all overrated. It was a first for shows like that, the tone it presents, in an animated children's show. It was also one of the first shows to have backgrounds painted on black to make the show seem "darker," I love the character designs. Mark Hamill as the Joker is brilliance. I just love this show!

I was in college and couldn't wait to get out of my last course so I could get home and watch it even though I always had the VCR set to record them.

indythecat

I was 16. If cartoons had remained the way they were in the 80's I'd probably have given them up long ago (though there were a few gems in the 80's; I think Bionic Six is very underrated). But the timing of Batman, X-Men, and a few others was just right so that instead of outgrowing cartoons, I felt like my cartoons grew up WITH me. Ever since Justice League went off the air I don't watch much new stuff anymore other than the odd episode of Spongebob or Chowder...so I'm hoping Clone Wars delivers. Maybe I'll NEVER have to grow up!:D

CasualJeff

X-men! Now that's another show I loved, but rewatching some episodes now the animation looks pretty dated. I still like the look of Batman, though. I guess my main problem with Batman: The Animated Series is the same problem I have with every other take on Batman: once they introduce Robin, it becomes impossible for me to take it seriously.

Anyway, back on topic. I took my son to see The Clone Wars today. I would rate it somewhere between "decent" and "pretty good". It's basically a saturday-morning-cartoon-ified version of the prequels. If you are expecting a genuine "event", then you will be disappointed. But if you're just looking for a fun, small-scale EU-ish adventure in the Star Wars universe then it is good.

-Animation of all non-organic beings.
-Action scenes are extremely well done. I love the crazy camera angles.
-The duel with Count Dooku
-The moving deflector shield
-Ziro The Hutt (Ok, I didn't love him, but I honestly didn't see what was so bad. He's a cross-dressing pimp-slug...what's so wrong about that?)

Dislikes:

-Stiff animation of the human characters. I know they're going after the Thunderbirds marionette look...and to be fair, I like the character designs themselves. I just wish they'd move a little more lifelike. The duel between Obi-Wan and the girl was pathetic. I could have made a more natural looking duel with a couple of action figures.
-The fact that they call Jabba's son "stinky"
-Simplicity of the plot. Again, very saturday morning-ish. Baby stolen, good guys rescue it, good guys chased, good guys get away and the end. It just didn't live up to the movies.

All in all, I liked it...it's not deserving of all the hate it gets. But the whole time I was thinking "man, this is AMAZING for TV...and just 'ok' for a movie!". Definitely miles above any animation I've seen on television. It makes me excited for the weekly television series, but if it were up to me I never would have let this release into theaters. It would have made a great TV movie to kickstart the show.

(Don't forget, they screened an episode for the TV critics a few months back and it got near-unanimous praise. I think this stuff just plays better on TV.)

Raider S

CasualJeff said:
Going back to the midichlorians thing...I don't see how it ruins the OT. Isn't it basically suggested that the force is biological in the original movies? I mean, Luke has the force because he inhereted it from his father. Same with Leia. If anybody can use the force, why does the fate of the galaxy rest with Luke? They could just find any old kid to learn how to be a jedi.

So why would people use the phrase "may The Force be with you" to non-jedi? The force wouldn't be with anyone without the stupid midichlorians.

I think there are a lot of social implications placed on the force if it's something completely inheritied. It should be something learned - not like reading 12 easy steps to being a jedi, but something more Zen like. Any old kid might learn some ways of the force, but to be a jedi one would need to be pure of heart - something like the Arthur legend - otherwise they have very limited ability or even become part of the dark side.

Having it come from some little creatures is horrible. You could inject midichlorians like you would steroids.

Whatever, it was a stupid thing and pretty much destroyed much of SW mythology.

CasualJeff

Raider S said:
So why would people use the phrase "may The Force be with you" to non-jedi? The force wouldn't be with anyone without the stupid midichlorians.

Why say "god speed" to somebody who isn't religious? I dunno, it struck me as a just a generic "good luck" type phrase.

I certainly never took the it to mean "the force is with you because anybody can use the force, even you meaningless rebel pilots".

I think there are a lot of social implications placed on the force if it's something completely inheritied. It should be something learned - not like reading 12 easy steps to being a jedi, but something more Zen like. Any old kid might learn some ways of the force, but to be a jedi one would need to be pure of heart - something like the Arthur legend - otherwise they have very limited ability or even become part of the dark side.

"Any old kid might learn some ways of the force"...I don't know. This just isn't supported by the movies, in my opinion. I see your point about being a jedi as more of a zen-like, arthurian legend type thing. But at the same time, the original trilogy spells it right out: Luke has the potential for jedi powers just like his father. Leia has the potential for jedi powers just like her father and brother.

Admiral Ackbar is pure of heart, but Obi-Wan didn't send him to Dagobah to learn from Yoda. He sent Luke for a reason--he had the genes.

Having it come from some little creatures is horrible. You could inject midichlorians like you would steroids.

Whatever, it was a stupid thing and pretty much destroyed much of SW mythology.

Again, I don't think this is supported by the movies. I don't think you could give somebody force powers by having them drink jedi blood. The way I saw it is just that they are cells in the body. It's basically just a science fictioney mumbo-jumbo way of explaining that 1, the force is hereditary, and 2, force potential is quantifiable.

The funny thing is that I actually don't like the fact that force potential is quantifiable. Kinda lame, in my opinion. It's better and more mystical if it's unmeasurable, and jedi's just have to "feel out" a potential force-user rather than take a blood test. But the fact that jedi powers are hereditary is entirely consistent with the original trilogy. I'll never understand why fans pick at that aspect as something that's "ruined Star Wars forever!"

AndyLGR

I went to see the film today.

Yes the plot is very simplistic and its clearly aimed at kids, but its still an engaging enough film, and many other summer films have been realesed with plots much more threadbare than this.

The action is good and the animation criticised by some isnt a hinderance to the film at all, I much preferred this animation style to that of the previous Clone Wars tv series.

The film is obviously like a long TV episode, but based on my impressions from this movie I'll look forward to the TV series.

My 10 year old son enjoyed it too.

Benraianajones

CasualJeff said:
Ziro The Hutt (Ok, I didn't love him, but I honestly didn't see what was so bad. He's a cross-dressing pimp-slug...what's so wrong about that?)

Uhm...what is wrong with it? I think we all know. I can not ever imagine Jabba from the ROTJ throne room, having a cross dressing relative. Ever. Just imagine a cross dressing Hutt in the context of that movie. It is totally out of place.

I actually think I realise, despite hating all the prequels, why I prefer of all of them - TPM. Reason - there were actually quite a few real locations shots on that movie, as opposed to everything being blue screen. As of AOTC, almost every location is generated on a PC.

I can even look (right) past Jar Jar, and the fact Tusken Raiders that would have trouble firing accuratley at a slow paced sand crawler - but can now shoot a pod racer moving at unimaginable speeds - for the simple fact in TPM, we got some real life enviroments.

TPM, AOTC and ROTS are bascially CGI animation cartoons anyway. In fact he should have just included these Clone Wars animations in the middle of these prequels. No one would have realised the difference. I saw my friend watching Revenge of The Sith the other day. I asked him why he was trying to upset me by making me see the scene where Obi Wan is on that giant lizard, which is also using jedi skills to jump and plummet down large chasms. To top it off, I still to this day have to hold my jaw up in shock at that hoop with legs General grevious clambers in to. I can not imagine that in the same universe as Leia. Ever. My point? - The entire segment = computer generated cartoon.

It is good of children are enjoying it. But in realtion to how kids things used to be - they are being treated like total simpletons. The reason jar jar was shoved in TPM and acted so overtly outrageous was simply because the storyline and script was so complex for a family movie. "Senate" "trade federation" "taxation" - I was having problems with it as it was, let alone kids. It tries to act like a kids movie (Jar jar, the general OTT saber action we get now as opposed to the elegant saber battles they were originally meant to be), whislt also trying to conpensate to the older audiences with it's trade federation and taxation plots. Oh and its Senators and Supremes. The originals were easy for all to understand, and didn't need the script/action split and allocated to a certain audience. Why George decided to opt out of making the prequels the family could enjoy as a whole )like the originals) as opposed to like aspects of them is beyond me. The originals have a mature plot which is bascially good vs evil. It is interesting, appeals to all - everyone can make sense of it. The action is fun, and even the non-action scenes keep you entertained.

The prequels are 2 extremes. OTT action and generally a script young kids would not grasp. I was about 11 I was asking my older brother what most of the prequel scenes meant. "Senate? taxation?" (and may I add, didn't find Jar Jar or the poo jokes funny - more an insult, cause I knew they were for "me" as I wouldn't graspthe plot). - however I watched orginals about aged 4 and pretty much understood it all - and there wasn't a poo joke in sight. The ironic thing is - the complexity of the prequels to a child, doesn't mean they are of a deeper, mature, well written quality either.

Last edited:

No Ticket

Hey my nephew, who is 5, just went to see this.

And when I asked him about it he said it was stupid and that "only the beginning part was good."

So much for it being just for the kiddos. I think even the kids can see how stupid Zero the Hutt (which he really hated) and Jabba's little "punky muffin" is. He told me that's what they called Jabba's kid. Punky Muffin.

PUNKY MUFFIN?

You gotta be kidding me. JABBA THE HUTT, the vile gangster, said that?