Star Wars: The Clone Wars

No Ticket

iLUVINDY said:
I hate how people talk crap about this movie, it is a awesome movie. and its obviously aimed at kids. You cant compare them to the live action movies. Its a great animated movie, another side of Star Wars we haven't seen. I saw it opening day in a packed theater. Another thing, people say the animation sucks, well its not meant to be realistic its a cool "Funky/Different" style of animation. Great Film, funny and has great action. Stop Hating people :mad:

This is not it's only problem. Most critics don't like it because...

1.) The animation is sub-par for movies, but okay for TV. Therefore it's theatrical release is seen as unnecessary.

2.) It happens between AOTC and ROTS so we know that all the main characters will live and we don't worry much about them.

3.) The soldiers are either clones or robots, so there isn't much at stake to care about so for the most part you're not worried about the fights. They are mindless and pointless.

... I see what they mean, I see these points. Then you add in stuff like Zero the Hutt which is just lame, plus some bad lines which I've read about... it's just not that great. Sure it's okay for kids, but I doubt many kids will think it's great either.

"It's for kids" is not an excuse for sub-par quality.

I doubt anything in this movie is as clever as how Gennedy Tartakovsky used Mace Windu in the original 2D animated one. That episode where he fights the giant machine without saying one word. It's all done visually. This is the brilliance behind it. Gennedy tells the story visually and with sounds without any lines of dialog.

And by the way, this "Funky/Different" style is just ripping off the style Tartakovsky invented himself (The guy did Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack --- so this is just HIS art style)... but his style works best in 2D.

Phantom-Train

I saw Clone Wars today, and have argued the merits of the Prequels in earlier posts here--so, I am a fan. I thought Clone Wars was great. I loved the animation, and it was just great fun to see more of this creation. The story of this "movie" was where it seemed most aimed at kids. For fans of the Prequels I would imagine the overall story here to be a little disappointing in it's simplicity, however, the vast majority of the criticism is way overblown. For anyone who hates the Prequels I've no idea why bother having anything to do with this. I very much look forward to the series, as half-hour weekly installments of this feels exactly right given the lack of depth.

Couple other quick things: I used to review films for a publication and the editor would always check to see what other publications were saying about a film prior to releasing reviews. A herd-mentality exists in the press--always has. This may explain why the episode of Clone Wars previewed a few weeks ago received almost unanimous praise. The film has now received mostly negative reaction in the press. No one really likes to stand out for fear of looking foolish. I say this because some of you clearly rely far too much on what critics have to say. The vast majority of critics have opinions no more valid than your own. It's fine to read them but to parrot them as exactly your own reaction just makes you part of the herd.

Lastly, someone here said the live action series will be Dawson's Creek on Tatooine. "Dawson's Creek on Tatooine" was what People Magazine called Attack of the Clones when it was released years ago. That's a perfect example of what I mention above. Maybe I missed it, but if you're going to quote someone else's review, you might mention that the creativity of that line is not your own.

sandiegojones

No Ticket said:
This is not it's only problem. Most critics don't like it because...

1.) The animation is sub-par for movies, but okay for TV. Therefore it's theatrical release is seen as unnecessary.

2.) It happens between AOTC and ROTS so we know that all the main characters will live and we don't worry much about them.

3.) The soldiers are either clones or robots, so there isn't much at stake to care about so for the most part you're not worried about the fights. They are mindless and pointless.

... I see what they mean, I see these points. Then you add in stuff like Zero the Hutt which is just lame, plus some bad lines which I've read about... it's just not that great. Sure it's okay for kids, but I doubt many kids will think it's great either.

"It's for kids" is not an excuse for sub-par quality.

I doubt anything in this movie is as clever as how Gennedy Tartakovsky used Mace Windu in the original 2D animated one. That episode where he fights the giant machine without saying one word. It's all done visually. This is the brilliance behind it. Gennedy tells the story visually and with sounds without any lines of dialog.

And by the way, this "Funky/Different" style is just ripping off the style Tartakovsky invented himself (The guy did Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack --- so this is just HIS art style)... but his style works best in 2D.

This film is not sub-par on quality! Kung Fu Panda cost $150 million to make. According to GL he spent about $10 million on this. For what he spent and for what he likely knew the box office would be for this, this is excellent. I've seen clips of it in HD at home and it's fantastic looking. Did it need to be released in theaters? No, but then neither do a lot of films, regardless of how much they cost to make. Plus, you don't really have to go see it either, do you? If you didn't pay, then no need to complain.

The style is very different than the other Clone Wars show too. They didn't copy Genndy's work and his stuff was only 2-5 minutes. This was 98 minutes so a story was required. Yes, the story is dumbed down for the kiddies but that's who's going to watch it. Adults need not complain as this isn't for them. The story is also not bad considering what you can compare it to. A lot of kids shows are way lamer. This kind of reminded me the an old Ninja Turtles show from the 80's. That's the kind of humor and storytelling that's at work here.

As far as the action is concerned, no there were no "Mace moments ", but it's also going to be a 100 episode show so I'm sure they'll get to it. Some of the stuff done in this show is halfway between the power of the films and that show so they aren't too powerful.

No Ticket

sandiegojones said:
This film is not sub-par on quality! Kung Fu Panda cost $150 million to make. According to GL he spent about $10 million on this. For what he spent and for what he likely knew the box office would be for this, this is excellent. I've seen clips of it in HD at home and it's fantastic looking. Did it need to be released in theaters? No, but then neither do a lot of films, regardless of how much they cost to make. Plus, you don't really have to go see it either, do you? If you didn't pay, then no need to complain.

The style is very different than the other Clone Wars show too. They didn't copy Genndy's work and his stuff was only 2-5 minutes. This was 98 minutes so a story was required. Yes, the story is dumbed down for the kiddies but that's who's going to watch it. Adults need not complain as this isn't for them. The story is also not bad considering what you can compare it to. A lot of kids shows are way lamer. This kind of reminded me the an old Ninja Turtles show from the 80's. That's the kind of humor and storytelling that's at work here.

As far as the action is concerned, no there were no "Mace moments ", but it's also going to be a 100 episode show so I'm sure they'll get to it. Some of the stuff done in this show is halfway between the power of the films and that show so they aren't too powerful.

I said sub-par as in, for theatrical release. Kung Fu Panda was $150 million because it was meant for theaters. This is reallly really nice animation for television but sub-par for theaters compared to other animated films. Which is my point. Releasing it in theaters was just a ploy to get more moolah out of people.

Indy&HanFan

so, i saw it today, and let's just say i couldn't wait until it ended.(n) as much as i love star wars, this movie just wasn't doing it for me. i think i'll still to the live action movies.(y)

Gustav

I saw this tonight and gave it a solid grade of C. The characters had much more personality than they did in the prequel trilogy. Zero the Hutt reminded me of Truman Capote.
But I left feeling like it was completely pointless.

The Man

A little taster of The Force Unleashed...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23095

Coming on August 21, on Xbox Live Marketplace and PlayStation Network, PS3and Xbox 360 owners will be able to give the hotly-anticpated game a whirl for themselves. The demo gives players a taste of one of the early levels in the game in which you get the chance to whoop all kinds of ass in a TIE Fighter Construction Facility.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/index2.html?section=1&sub=4

sandiegojones

Gustav said:
I saw this tonight and gave it a solid grade of C. The characters had much more personality than they did in the prequel trilogy. Zero the Hutt reminded me of Truman Capote.
But I left feeling like it was completely pointless.

Indy&HanFan said:
so, i saw it today, and let's just say i couldn't wait until it ended. as much as i love star wars, this movie just wasn't doing it for me. i think i'll still to the live action movies.

It's no surprise you feel "luke" warm to it. It just proves you're not 10 years old. I grew up with SW and if this had come out when I was 8 or 9 I'd be lovin' it! When I was 8 I had GI Joe and He-Man (which was a SW rip-off itself), and this is a similar show. Some may think SW is above this, but it's cool for what it is. At my age though, I only got real enjoyment from it since my son had fun watching it. I would certainly prefer he watches this than the Wiggles or Speed Racer and other crappy shows.

AndyLGR

Phantom-Train said:
I say this because some of you clearly rely far too much on what critics have to say. The vast majority of critics have opinions no more valid than your own. It's fine to read them but to parrot them as exactly your own reaction just makes you part of the herd.
That is spot on, one of the big things that is evident is that people are so quick to quote a negative review, in some cases even before the person quoting it has seen the film yet. Make up your own mind and post your own honest opinion.

sandiegojones

Agent Spalko said:
The Star Whores saga continues...
Say what you want about Clone Wars, but these games are usually pretty damn good! This looks like a very high quality game and very interesting plot wise.

Benraianajones

As much as "The Force Unleased" looks good - it also looks so boring.

Yet another game just about using the force/sabers.

The original Star Wars movies ventured away from just "The force" and sabers/jedis. We even had that Jabba sub plot for Han, but all the new stuff it simply like you have a light saber shoved in your face.

sandiegojones

Benraianajones said:
As much as "The Force Unleased" looks good - it also looks so boring.

Yet another game just about using the force/sabers.

The original Star Wars movies ventured away from just "The force" and sabers/jedis. We even had that Jabba sub plot for Han, but all the new stuff it simply like you have a light saber shoved in your face.
This is supposed to be more about the powers than the Saber stuff though.

sandiegojones said:
Say what you want about Clone Wars, but these games are usually pretty damn good! This looks like a very high quality game and very interesting plot wise.

Using the Force to bring a Star Destroyer crashing down on the planet. These must be some Super Jedi. So much for Ani being the most powerful Jedi ever.

No Ticket

I bet you can't bring Star Destroyers down like that in the actual game. Probably just a cut scene. I actually don't consider this "Super Jedi" thing such a big deal, since it is actually kind of cool. Plus Yoda himself said that size matters not... so in theory any Jedi probably could have done something like that if they concentrated on it enough.

I like the idea of this guy being Vader's apprentice, seems he is working against the Empire... which to me signals that perhaps he is laying the groundwork for Vader to kill Emperor. "Always two there are, no more, no less." I don't know if that's what the story is about though, I've paid little attention to the game. Doesn't look THAT interesting.

Although I've usually liked most Star Wars games, Jedi Outcast was one of my favorites.

.... but back on topic:

I am boycotting this Clone Wars movie. Why? Because I feel more than ever like Lucas is just putting this in theaters to make some extra dough even though it was made for TV and doesn't even BELONG in theaters. He just strung 3 episodes together and calls that a movie. Plus, the story sounds lame. So it is my opinion that in order to keep George from continuing to think he could put ANYTHING Star Wars in theaters and make money (no matter what amount of effort put into it), we have to actually NOT go see it.

There's a part of me that wants to see this. I know it's Star Wars so I think, "It can't be all bad." But then I read the reviews. I just don't want to give Lucas anymore money. Indy was sub-par and the prequels weren't that great. And after reading that interview where he was described as thinking it didn't matter how good the movie was because anything they put in theaters would make money, I just think this is why he doesn't put as much effort into them.

This being said, I don't think the prequels and Indy are THAT bad. Just sub-par. The originals were GREAT. But this looks THAT bad. And I don't want to give him my money for this just because it's Star Wars.

I'll catch these episodes for FREE on TV. Because they are just episodes of a television series, after all.

The Man

Any chance that The Clone Wars will challenge Wall-E for Best Animated Picture at Oscars 2009? Any chance at all..?

sandiegojones

No Ticket, if you don't have a kids to take to see TCW, then don't go. No need to boycott it as it wasn't made for adults anyway. As a parent who has to see a lot of animated crap, this was at least worth the price (matinee at least).

And "The Man", you know this wasn't made to win an oscar so why be a smart ass? Wall-E should be nominated as best picture, not just as an animated feature.

No Ticket

sandiegojones said:
No Ticket, if you don't have a kids to take to see TCW, then don't go. No need to boycott it as it wasn't made for adults anyway. As a parent who has to see a lot of animated crap, this was at least worth the price (matinee at least).

And "The Man", you know this wasn't made to win an oscar so why be a smart ass? Wall-E should be nominated as best picture, not just as an animated feature.

Animation isn't meant to be solely for "kids" ya know. When it's done correctly even animated stuff for children is entertaining to adults. And I don't just mean the jokes that fly over kids heads (Shrek).

But my main beef with it is how dumb they've made it sound, even for kids. But you're right, it was obviously made for 5 year olds and younger.

Raider S

Benraianajones said:

Great point about SW overall and where it is now: everything is about jedis and the force. There is much more in the SW universe than force users. One big problem with the prequels was a lack of "other" characters to be interested in.