Struzan Retires

The Man

http://www.theraider.net/news/fullstory_miscellaneous.php?id=908

"Having been working at not working has produced a guy who could never return to illustration again. It took a lot to attempt the idea of retiring from my 40 years of effort and sacrifice but now that I have, I am delighting in life as never before. I had forgotten how to rest, to smell the proverbial roses and to see the future as opportunity. I am grateful and honored to have had the opportunity to do all the work I did. I am well pleased to have been able to give a gift of beauty and peace through my artwork to so many throughout the world. Now I have laid down the burden and have peace and happiness as the reward for my day's labor."

- Drew Struzan -
(September 3rd, 2008)​

His legacy is immeasurable. Good times to the man...

QBComics

That's terrible! I guess he won't make the Indy V poster if we get one. :( We'll miss your stuff Drew.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
I guess he had enough of fanboys calling his wife at 4 o'clock in the morning because the studio ****ed up his poster art.

I must admit that I was a little shocked when I first read about his retirement. His farewell message is a very satisfying good-bye, though.

Just like some great trailers his posters captured the essence of the greatest (mostly adventure-)film you had yet to see. And more than just images to heat up anticipation, his posters became an integral part of the expanded film experience itself.

I'm thankful for his unique work. And I wish him the best for the days to come.
And ...may the floating heads-fraction not yet take over.

EddyW

Not that I don't take his words seriously, but I'm guessing he might pick up his paints again every once in a while for a job like Indy V or something else that's just so much up his alley that his sense op pride steps in. Or at least I hope! Anyway, he's done some amazing stuff and he's earned all the chilling he wants.

The Man

indyclone25 said:
i think hellboy 2 was after the indy poster

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Thanks for posting the image below in another thread. I'd never seen it until now...and it pretty much typifies this guy's talent...

gm080710152028242.jpg

"It's beautiful!"

Stoo

WOW. I'm stunned...:eek:
The Man said:
His legacy is immeasurable. Good times to the man...
Indeed. Unfortunate news for many but I wish him all the best.

Step-by-Step Graphics magazine had a feature on his technique in 1994. It was a detailed voyage from thumbnail sketch to
finished product for the '87 Star Wars 10th Anniversary poster. I still cherish the mag to this very day. Style and precision!
Thanks for everything, Drew. (Just do us a favour and bless us with Indy 5 as a one-shot!):hat:

|ZiR|

Nooo! Now who's going to do the poster for Indy V? :p

I hope he'll release a book of his art work. Like a completely retrospective with all the posters he designed (including the covers for the IJ books) on big glossy pages. I'd buy that.

Forbidden Eye

Doesn't he have a son who's works for his father's company? If Indy 5 does get made, I wouldn't sweat it too much as his son's style is very similar if not near identical to his father.

Sad news none the less. Glad to see he's retiring on a high note.

indyclone25

knowing lucasfilm they will find someone who can copy his style to do a poster someone like matt busch or create a photo poster like they did for the stra wars dvds a few years back --- but hell yeah i 'd buy any book drew put out showing all his artwork

JediPug1

Oh wow... I was always a fan of his work. I wish him all the best, though... you gotta do what makes you happy, ya know? Life is too short...

Crusade>Raiders

NOOOO! My favorite poster artist by far. His posters are all across my walls.

First the trailer announcer aka Don Fontaine aka God dies, now the best poster maker in the business calls it quits...Ledger dead, Mac dead, Hayes dead...

This is not a good year for entertainment (n)

Dr.Mirakle32

Crusade>Raiders said:

First the trailer announcer aka Don Fontaine aka God dies, now the best poster maker in the business calls it quits...Ledger dead, Mac dead, Hayes dead...

Don't forget Heston...:(

No Ticket

Too bad. He was one of the greatest. Any further Star Wars/Indy films will just not feel right without his touch.

Indy~Annie

oh thats awful.(n)

well i hope a good art free life for the best artist ever!:)

but i think he'll do the Indy V poster.;)

Goonie

Crusade>Raiders said:

And you forgot about special effects guru Stan Winston who also passed away this year. :(