Stunt It!

Eric Solo

Anyone know whatever happened to the stuntman who played the German mechanic and the giant Thugee Guard (and various other roles) who whooped up on Indy? Is he still in the business and eligible to whoop Indy's butt again in Indy IV for old times sake?
:confused:

Speaking of stunts: Check out the bonus disk on Tarantino's Death Proof DVD. Terry Leonard worked on that one and did some of the driving stunts. He gets interviewed and the other stuntmen hold him in high regard of course.

Eric Solo

Darn it! He was the man. :mad: He's listed as an actor in that article, not a stuntman. My bad. RIP

Last edited:

Ska

He was also in Last Crusade as one of the Nazi agents (I think). I wonder why they broke tradition of not having Indy fight Pat Roach...?

barranca

They did flim a fight scene for Crusade, unfortunately it ended up on the cutting room floor. Although as the zepelin takes off he can be seen with the SS officer in the shot from the carriage.
Speilberg liked to have a running gag in the Indy movies, of Jones fighting the same guy over and over. He regreted having to delete that scene.
Pat was a well regarded actor in the UK he appeared in all but the last series of 'Auf wiedersehn Pet' and numerous other Roles on TV and film.
Look him up on the IMDB, you'll be suprised to find out just what you may have seen him in.

Eric Solo

I wonder if the deleted fight scene concluded with something HORRIBLE happening to Pat (e.g. Propeller to the face or GIANT grindstone to the head, etc.)(y)

No Ticket

Eric Solo said:
I wonder if the deleted fight scene concluded with something HORRIBLE happening to Pat (e.g. Propeller to the face or GIANT grindstone to the head, etc.)(y)

I've seen one still shot of it I think... or a short clip... and it looks like they just fight while Indy is in a hallway or in a kitchen on the blimp... something like that. Although he did get some pretty gruesome deaths in the other two. I do wonder what would have happened.

See, if they'd just put the deleted scenes on an INDY DVD WE'D KNOW!!

Snakes

There is a short clip of the fight in the "making of the trilogy" thing on the DVD. It shows Indy in waiter gear punching into a door and Pat Roach slumping onto him and falling to the floor. I really hope they release all the deleted scenes someday.

SZNUR

Scene :Frederick Jaeger ... WWI Ace is drunk
20no0.jpg

then there is a fight scene
19amy8.jpg

20aqj7.jpg

after fight Pat and drunken WWI Ace are going to get INDY
21fx4.jpg

and they went to another bi-plane but WWI Ace was so drunk that he forgot to start engine
22vy2.jpg

plane is going down BUUUM

barranca

sarah navarro said:
wow i had no clue he passed i did wonder why he wasnt in the new one:(
Sadly yes, he was very well regarded in the UK, I suspect that 'Dovchenko' ( Igor Jijikine ) is his replacement in KOTCS. I also suspect that the same actor may pop up again in further movies, if there are any, as Pat Roach did.
When KOTCS was announced I did a quick scan of all the stunt workers on the film to see if any of them were fit to fill Roaches' boots. When I saw Igor, I felt they had the right guy.

CaliforniaJones

If I recall correctly, Pat Roach was quite ill toward the end. I think that may be why there wasn't a large fight with him like the other two movies.

oki9Sedo

It would appear they didn't have a fight scene in Last Crusade....but rather a scene where Indy punches him, the punch has no effect, you think there's going to be another big fight where Indy's getting his arse whooped, and then he collapses unconscious.

It probably would have been tiresome to have yet another Indy vs. Pat Roach fight, so having a joke like that was a good idea in my mind. Its a shame they had to cut it.

Finn

Staff member
CaliforniaJones said:
If I recall correctly, Pat Roach was quite ill toward the end. I think that may be why there wasn't a large fight with him like the other two movies.
Pat Roach died in 2004. LC was filmed in 1989. So... what do you mean "toward the end"?

CaliforniaJones

Well like I said I could have heard (or read) wrong. According to Wikipedia, the man died of a long fight against throat cancer. He could have been ill for years. Judging by those pictures above, he certainly wasn't the physical presence he was in the first two films. Temple was only 5 years before LC, and he was pretty damn huge in Temple.

barranca

All things considered he was fairly fit in 1989, if one goes by his filmography alone. If I remember correctly he was only really ill for the last 3-4 yrs of his life.

The_Raiders

crowmagnumman said:
Man, I'm really gonna miss Pat Roach in Indy 4. That guy was such an awesome part of the first two movies.

First two??? i know he's in ROTLA but what others, and what part?