Temple of Akator = Empire of Akakor ?

tocksic

Through the KotCS LEGO-sets we know that the temple in wich the movies climax takes place is namend "Akator". It seems that this is a completely made-up name, because Google didn't spit out anything on Akator. (I know that Google is not the highest "knowledge institution", but it is a very good indicator.)

But now in the German Indy Message Board one user posted something that caught my interest:

He says that maybe "Akator" is a typing error and is meant to be "Akakor" - or at least it's not a typing error but a deliberate alienation of the name "Akakor".

My English is not good enough to really explain everything I just read on Akakor - I couldn't even explain that in German! :D So I will just give you a few key-infos:

Akakor was an acient south-american empire near Machu Picchu. It is said that Akakor was mainly build under the earth. So it was located in a place wich today is on the ground of Peru.

It is said that the Akakorians were a superior race like the atlanteans. They might even be connected.

LhasaMap2.jpg

It is said that Machu Picchu was build as an outpost for the Akakorian empire.

Akakor is connected with old legends about "gods" that came and go in "flying disks". Gods... flying disks... anyone? ;) In this context it's not astonishing that also Daeniken was interested in Akakor.

It seems that it was a common akakorian thing to shape their heads anomalously. We spoke about that theory already in another thread.

Unfortunatly I couldn't find anything good on Akakor and crystal skulls. But Google spits out so many things on Akakor, so maybe someone else finds something and posts it here. Someone with a better English. :p

This seems to be a ground plan of the Akakorian temple:
unterakakor.gif

With a little bit of imagination this temple-set in LA could be the main building indicated by 1 - and this curved structure could be the bulding indicated by 2. - But that is only a daring conjecture. ;)

Akakor 1
Akakor 2
Shaping Heads

edit: I know I could have posted this in the archaeology forum, but I think the whole thing is ( / could be) too much connected to the movie.

Last edited:

metalinvader

Damn,My congrats to you tocksic:hat:

The whole Akakor mythology certainly fits in with what we know.

Interesting to note your 'Akakor 2" link it talks about a city hidden by a waterfall...

and of course we have all seen the waterfall set pictures....

tocksic

My personal believe is that Koepp.. Lucas... Darabont... whoever ... took themselfs script-ideas from various sources. A little bit of Akakor here, a little bit of crystal skulls there, a big piece of Indy and then threw it all in a big pot.

But if it would be a fact that there is something Akakor-related in the script I would love it! Because it would compensate the lack of "real" mythology of the crystal skull thing. Because Akakor has a REAL historical mythology! It's almost on a level with Atlantis. The only thing that would bother me is "gods and flying disks"... But if they were only mentioned and not acutally shown it would be cool.

Last edited:

Kingsley

tocksic said:
It is said that the Akakorians were a superior race like the atlanteans. They might even be connected.
Is this the "too connected" stuff Lucas talked about a couple of years ago?
Is a videogame like FOA something so relevant to doubt about a similar idea?

TheLastCrusader

Found something interesting about Akakor on wikipedia: link
A German worker named Hans Guenther Hauck left his home near Nuremberg in 1967, moved into the Brazilian jungle and proclaimed himself as the leader of the secret Ugha-Mongulala tribe, which lives hidden in the secret jungle city of Akakor since 15,000 years. The city and the tribe never existed. But very famous filmmakers and adventure-loving men and women believed Mr Nara, three people even died during Tatunca-lead jungle excursions. The deaths of the people and the whole circumstances have never completely been revealed. In Nehberg's book "Der selbstgemachte Haeuptling" (The self-made chieftain) the whole story of this mysterious man and his deeds can be read.
Naturally, this Hauck guy won't have anything to do with Indy 4, but maybe that Ugha-Mongulala tribe will.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
This does make sense. I remember Lucas did want an underground city in a film one of these days, and it seems he found it. This is great information!

Finn

Staff member
Kingsley said:
Is this the "too connected" stuff Lucas talked about a couple of years ago?
Is a videogame like FOA something so relevant to doubt about a similar idea?
There's a Hal Barwood quote I like to reminisce from time to time back from the days of development for the Infernal Machine...

"We originally had another storyline in mind, but were told to scrap it since the company might want to use to turn that into a movie one day."

In the movies the supernatural has been a subtle thing, though definitely present. In Indy video games however sometimes even over-the-top. Now, I definitely don't expect any cardboard copies but can't help wondering how much of the plot Barwood mentions actually made it in KotCS?

FordFan

I think the "too connected" line has to do with the ark being involved in this movie's prologue, maybe more.

tocksic

FordFan said:
I think the "too connected" line has to do with the ark being involved in this movie's prologue, maybe more.

I suppose they intended to bring back Marion, bring back Henry sr., bring back sallah, bring back the ark. And that would have been "too connected" maybe. :confused:

mrbeenz

more from google

Ok, I've google 'akakor' and some amusing things came up; I'm wondering if we haven't got a viral campaign for the movie in 'front' of us :)

have a look a these links:

http://www.rickrichards.com/ac/ac_3.html

Follow the links at the bottom, and it cleraly seems to be the journey we are all expecting in May :)

Another link:

http://www.originsproject.com/acambaro.html

Doesn't this creature remind you of the skeleton in one of the official pictures ?

mrbeenz

arf, thanks for the info on that page, what about the originsproject page ?

I've looked up at it's 'root' and it's 'loaded' with themes very similar what we (think) we know?

MattJones

Might I say that I am IMPRESSED with this thread-thusfar. For once, I feel I can confidently say that you guys finally stumbled onto the plot. And it's a plot I like...

I would have no issue with referring to these "flying saucer" gods, as long as it is just that. OR, if they do end up showing them, they do it in a way that's very mysterious and unexplanatory (a la the Ark Ghosts).

San Holo

So what is the consensus on the Temple and the Ugha warriors? Are the warriors guardians of Akator from the present time, or will they come from the past, through some portal via the Crystal Scull?:confused: