Temple of Doom Plot Holes

OmegaSeamaster

Man, I love all of the Indy films, but I couldn't help noticing the huge plot holes in Temple of Doom on a recent viewing. I guess I've seen it so many times, my mind starts to wander.

1. The Mine Cart Ride - I can't believe that I realized for the first time ever that the cart is being powered by nothing but inertia for the whole chase. Unless the whole chase was on a slope, which it clearly wasn't, the cart should have come to a dead stop, especially with 3 people riding in it.

2. Water, Water, Water!!! - Ok, so Mola Ram sends all this water gushing after Indiana Jones, which first rushes into view from the direction of the mine car tunnel they just used. How in the heck could that water make it past those huge lava pits and crevasses to get to Indy and Co? Not to mention the volume of water that shoots out into the gorge was way too much for some small water tower in the slave pits to contain.

3. Willie's SPF 5000 Sunblock - Congratulations to Willie Scott, who managed to be suspended 10 feet above molten lava IN AN IRON CAGE. She emerged without a single burn whatsoever.

4. Houdini's got nothin' on Short Round - After Shorty's put to work in the mines, he's shown with shackles around his wrists and ankles. Just by hitting the chain that's binding his feet together, he's able to remove all of his bonds, shackles and all!

5. There's an example of sloppy editing when Shorty says, "Indy, I love you," right before burning him with the torch. When Shorty's delivering his line, you can see a guard in the background nursing his wrist or arm as he winces in pain. Apparently Shorty must have attacked him or fought him off, but the scene was cut.

6. The magical conveyor belt - Ever notice how Indy screams as his head's almost about to go under that huge grindstone at the end of the conveyor belt battle? Then, when he's freed from the voodoo doll's curse, he's nowhere even close to the grindstone!

I love Temple of Doom, but it's clear that they were totally going for thrills and chills with zero regard to making any sense.

Don Karnage

ahhh suspension of belief. its a wonderful thing. :whip:

ive noticed some of the same things but they just dont really bother me.

Niteshade007

I noticed a lot of those things, especially the water. That one always threw me. And Willie's near-death experience. The guy who died before her burst into flames, she goes up and down that thing and is merely unconscious. Oh well, good for her.

I enjoy the movie a great deal, but yeah, it (and the others) are not without its flaws.

HovitosKing

Temple of Doom is flawless. These perceived problems are just that--perceived. How many life stories do you have that, unless you were there, would prove utterly impossible to believe? A misunderstanding. Exactly what we have here.

joelwatts

Bullwhip said:
These aren't really plotholes.
Agreed. It's called artisitic license. If we were talking about Star Wars, we'd be coming up with explanations for these little contrivances or inconsistencies. For example, the water could have flowed through a different series of shafts, other than those seen in the mine car chase.

Also, I wouldn't call the deletion of the scene where Shorty confronts the guard sloppy editing. It was probably wise, as we can tell from the final cut version that he did confront the guard. We don't have to see it to know it happened.

Marcus Jones

Yep, I've noticed a few of these. But you have to remember that it's a film. These are a few little niggles in a fantastic film full of fantastic moments. Did I mention that the film is fantastic? You've gotta look past them and just enjoy the good parts of the movie!:D

No Ticket

No film is without it's flaws. It's a work of fiction and those kinds of things happen. Besides, "suspension of disbelief" has to be there ya know. The mine cars thing isn't that big of a deal. As long as you believed what was happening was happening... and your mentioning of the inertia thing is the first time I've heard anyone say that. Good point. lol.

peterlally

OmegaSeamaster said:
Man, I love all of the Indy films, but I couldn't help noticing the huge plot holes in Temple of Doom on a recent viewing. I guess I've seen it so many times, my mind starts to wander.

1. The Mine Cart Ride - I can't believe that I realized for the first time ever that the cart is being powered by nothing but inertia for the whole chase. Unless the whole chase was on a slope, which it clearly wasn't, the cart should have come to a dead stop, especially with 3 people riding in it.

2. Water, Water, Water!!! - Ok, so Mola Ram sends all this water gushing after Indiana Jones, which first rushes into view from the direction of the mine car tunnel they just used. How in the heck could that water make it past those huge lava pits and crevasses to get to Indy and Co? Not to mention the volume of water that shoots out into the gorge was way too much for some small water tower in the slave pits to contain.

3. Willie's SPF 5000 Sunblock - Congratulations to Willie Scott, who managed to be suspended 10 feet above molten lava IN AN IRON CAGE. She emerged without a single burn whatsoever.

4. Houdini's got nothin' on Short Round - After Shorty's put to work in the mines, he's shown with shackles around his wrists and ankles. Just by hitting the chain that's binding his feet together, he's able to remove all of his bonds, shackles and all!

5. There's an example of sloppy editing when Shorty says, "Indy, I love you," right before burning him with the torch. When Shorty's delivering his line, you can see a guard in the background nursing his wrist or arm as he winces in pain. Apparently Shorty must have attacked him or fought him off, but the scene was cut.

6. The magical conveyor belt - Ever notice how Indy screams as his head's almost about to go under that huge grindstone at the end of the conveyor belt battle? Then, when he's freed from the voodoo doll's curse, he's nowhere even close to the grindstone!

I love Temple of Doom, but it's clear that they were totally going for thrills and chills with zero regard to making any sense.

You pick up on these things but not rocks that glow when they get near each other?

oki9Sedo

OmegaSeamaster said:

Regarding the conveyer belt fight, Indy's head being mm away from the grinder, followed by him being nowhere near the grindstone after the dagger has been removed from the voodoo doll, is almost certainly a homage to similar events in old Saturday morning serials.

Picking out stuff like that in a film like Indiana Jones is pointless by the way.

peterlally

Okay how about mentioning willie being to close to the lava not to get burnt without thinking jumping out of a moving plane in a dingy, sliding down a mountain in a dinghy and taking a 300ft tumble of a cliff into river rapids without a bruise or losing your hat is not believable.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
peterlally said:
Okay how about mentioning willie being to close to the lava not to get burnt without thinking jumping out of a moving plane in a dingy, sliding down a mountain in a dinghy and taking a 300ft tumble of a cliff into river rapids without a bruise or losing your hat is not believable.

Well, those are possible, just highly unlikely, but Willie being that close to the lava and not being burnt? That's not even consistent with the inner world of the film, <I>if we take it as a real system with rules</I>. After all, the earlier sacrificial victim burst into flames at a distance Willie reached. But, as oki9Sedo suggests with regards to the rock crusher, it <I>is</I> very much consistent within the film considered not as real, but as existing in the particular universe of the serial. Whether that was intended or not, and I'm not sure we can ever say for sure, it certainly works.

Indy's Fist

The angle of the camera has a lot to do with those "close call" scenes. In many films the way the camera is angled can make the appearence of "closer than it really is". i also agree with many other posters here about the unbelievable aspects of these films, or any other films for that matter. It's not real life it's fiction. almost anything in movies never really happens. I movies were made with real life in mind it would be quite boring. And as one filmmaker put it "We are making a movie, not a documentery!":)

Indy's Fist said:
The angle of the camera has a lot to do with those "close call" scenes. In many films the way the camera is angled can make the appearence of "closer than it really is". i also agree with many other posters here about the unbelievable aspects of these films, or any other films for that matter. It's not real life it's fiction. almost anything in movies never really happens. I movies were made with real life in mind it would be quite boring. And as one filmmaker put it "We are making a movie, not a documentery!":)

Well there's a time and a place, of course. I agree--suspend your disbelief for this film. But there have been some truly wonderful films that rely on and replicate reality rather faithfully. Real like needn't be "boring," but outlandishness is to be expected from a film such as this one.