Temple of Doom... Struzan

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
I just wanted to say that I really like that Indy poster Bruce Wolfe made.

It just shows Struzan isn't the only great artist out there.

I wish all movie posters where made by hand, instead of photo's and computers.

I often have a dicussion about handmade vs. computers with my teachers...
Unfortunately they never see it my way... :(

indyclone25

i know this isn't a temple of doom struzan but i was wondering? what was this used for --- was this just a painting that drew did or was it used with a logo for a promotion ?
gl0508241503081291-2.jpg

Stoo

Sakis said:
If I'm not mistaken it was for the 2003 DVD boxset or promotional campaigne.
In the thread below, Laserschwert told me that it was for the 20th Anniversary Re-Release of "Raiders".
I like the fact that Drew used the deleted spider scene from "Crusade".(y)

Cover artwork

The Man

gl0508241503081291-2.jpg

It has echoes of the The Phantom Menace theatrical poster. Did Struzan draw the Star Wars one-sheets aswell?

deckard24

Attila the Professor said:
But seriously, that's a great rendering there. Best "old" Indy I've seen yet, perhaps.

I don't know, the nose feels way off!

I thought the teaser poster captured "Old" Indy better as did the Hugh Fleming comic cover. What's funny is Struzan has really never missed on a Ford likeness, with the exception of the smaller Deckard in the corner of his Blade Runner Final Cut poster. Other then that the guy is the best there is when it comes to this style of artwork!

Drew: The Man Behind Poster

Drew: The Man Behind Poster: Temple of Doom

Drew Struzan, is the subject of an upcoming documentary called Drew: The Man Behind Poster. Directed by Erik Sharkey, the film features interviews with George Lucas, Harrison Ford, Michael J. Fox, Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro, Steven Spielberg and others all discussing the man behind such iconic posters as Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Back to the Future, Blade Runner, The Goonies, the first Harry Potter films, Big Trouble in Little China, Hellboy and so many others.

We posted a trailer for the film a few months back and now there’s a brand new clip talking about the Temple of Doom poster that you can watch after the break. The documentary is “nearly completed,” according to producer Charles Ricciardi, so we might be able to check it out before the end of the year.

Oh...I spoke to Bruce Wolfe and I'll be interviewing him for an episode of The Indy Cast. Apparently there was some controversy!

Last edited:

harvey

Rocket Surgeon said:
Oh...I spoke to Bruce Wolfe and I'll be interviewing him for an episode of The Indy Cast. Apparently there was some controversy!

Controversy indeed! Late to this thread...and glad Pat had the interview. Wolfe is credited on the vinyl soundtrack insert. (y)

kb7iol.jpg

2uglbhw.jpg