the Best Indy villain

merancapeman

Donavan, most definently. There is no worse an enemy then one that was your friend. Donavon sent him on the damned mission only to get a journal. His very face makes me want to throw up.... *Glances around*, ok, so maybe i'm overreacting, but seriously, it makes you glad he rots in the end.

spohlso

After reading some other opinions here, my first opinion is just re-inforced. Belloq is (in my opinion) by far the best Indy villain. If for no other reason than the fact that he was a fully developed character with realistic motivations. Donovan is a close second, but there is no history between him and Indy. That's one thing that makes Belloq such a great villain, you can tell from his interaction with Indy that their paths have crssede many times in the past. It almost comes across like a 'Batman/Joker' or 'Superman/Lex Luthor' type relationship. Plus it never came across as forced. That was a big problem with Wu-Han and Shorty. Those two were supposed to have had long relationships with Indy, but the chemistry never came across.

Donavan was decent, because his motivation was also something that came across as somewhat realistic. I mean the quest for eternal youth is a staple in story telling. He just didn't have the edge that Belloq's relationship with Indy had. It wasn't possible though, or Donavan would have seemed like Bellq II.

Mola Ram was the lamest Indy villain (again, just my opinion.) He was shallow and poorly written. There was just no depth there. His motivation was presumably world domination, but he just came across like a B movie bad guy (which WAS the inspiration for Indy movies, I'll admit.) Unlike the other two, he wasn't fleshed out to fit a feature length format. He retained the 1 dimensionality of a 15 minute serial villain.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I have a new found respect for you Sophlso. You have eloquently demonstrated the important concept of character development (but that is not where the 'new respect' lies).

It is in your signature.

NARRATOR: Los Angeles, he walks again by night. Out of the fog, into the smog. (cough) Relentlessly, ruthlessly (NICK: I wonder where Ruth is), doggedly (woof woof), toward his weekly meeting with the unknown. At Fourth and Drucker he turns left. At Drucker and Fourth he turns right. He crosses MacArthur Park and walks into a great sandstone building (NICK: ooh - my nose). Groping for the door (ring) he steps inside (ring) climbs the thirteen steps to his office (ring). He walks in (ring). He's ready for mystery (ring). He's ready for excitement (ring). He's ready for anything (ring). He's... (answers phone)

NICK: "Nick Danger, third eye."

CALLER: "I want to order a pizza to go and no anchovies."

NICK: "No anchovies? You've got the wrong man. I spell my name Danger!" (HANGS UP).

CALLER: "What?"

merancapeman

Hmmm... You got a good point. But i had more respect for Beloq then i had Donavan... Beloq died at the Arc didn't he? I keep on thinking he's alive.... But anyhow, he may have had a past, but you don't know what it is!

(Don't even think about making a reference to the stupid YIJ)

spohlso

Always nice to meet a fellow Firesign fan! I've loved their work since discovering them as a teenager.

RR: "What aboout my pickle!?!"

ND: "You're lucky you still have your brown paper bag small fry!"

merancapeman

Anyhoo, about the Villians?

-Since we're off topic, can you tell me where to find an Indiana Jones Theme MP3? Perhaps the download link, considering i have a filter on this computer at school?-

Blofeld

Man....what did I start here?

It's all interesting....

But how would Belloq fare in Indy's boots?

He would probably outwit or hire out for more muscle to beat Lao Che....

But Mola Ram would kick his French butt....(meaning he'd rip his heart out!!!)

Go Mola Ram!!!!

merancapeman

Ah, Mola Rahm is a whiny baby... He looks a lot like Mel Gibson! I SWEAR IT!!!

umnumshibi,umnumshibi,umnumshibi,umnumshibi,umnumshibi,umnumshibi....

Blofeld

Mel Gibson? What are you smoking?

Yul Brynner, Telly Savalas....yes.....Gibson, no.

And when did he ever whine?

spohlso

merancapeman said:
But anyhow, he may have had a past, but you don't know what it is!

(Don't even think about making a reference to the stupid YIJ)

I had no intention of doing so. At any rate, the past between Indy and Belloq is simply implied, not actually described. When Indy finds out Belloq is the French Archeologist and starts laughing. When Indy tells Marcus Brody that he had the fertility idol 'in his hand' and Brody simply guesses, "Belloq?" and of course when Belloq tells Indy "Once again we find what was breifly yours is now mine." Not to mention the bulk of their conversation in the bar in Egypt.

That's what made it work. Moments like that made it seem more real than any explanation ever could. They acted and reacted like two men who had known eachother for a long time. Like two opponents who had crossed swords on many occasions. There was no need to tell the audience how they met or what individual circumstances pitted them against eachother. Ford and Freeman just had a better script to work with.