The CGI thread

QBComics

Yeah, I made it. This is just the main discussion for all the CGI in the film.

It's also the place to post your thoughts on what you thought was CGI and wasn't and vice versa.

Personally, I thought the only bad CGI was the monkeys. The best (IMO) was the water crashing in at the very end of the and washing away the Akator.

:)

No Ticket

I've no real opinion on the CGI in the film. I think it was done pretty well for the most part. I wouldn't say the film had any "bad cgi," maybe just overdone in some places.

michael

The Alien at the end was pretty decent looking I think. It wasn't "over the top" looking.

Darth Vile

No Ticket said:
I've no real opinion on the CGI in the film. I think it was done pretty well for the most part. I wouldn't say the film had any "bad cgi," maybe just overdone in some places.

I actually agree with you there...

Also, as a general note... it's interesting to see how much of the supposed CGI wasn't actually CGI...

Johnny Jones

Like the ants. They actually had real live ants and they actually really ate people.

(Sorry, that's probably not that funny but just know I didn't mean it as a personal jibe. I couldn't help it.)
Although the aforementioned ants, and the prairie dogs and lots of the other CGI, looked much less fake on my small screen with the DVD, than in theaters, so it's hard for me to complain about. I think it was overdone considering Frank Marshall's statement that it wouldn't be, but what the hey. That's the way it is and I can live with it.

James

Darth Vile said:
it's interesting to see how much of the supposed CGI wasn't actually CGI...

True. I was particularly surprised to learn that the obelisk and temple door were working sets...and actually functioned as depicted in the film.

I also have to say, I was extremely pleased with how much this film didn't look like it was made in 2008. There's really only one shot in the entire thing that looks 'modern' to me: The initial reveal of the cemetery warriors- where one is crawling along the tree.

Udvarnoky

Darth Vile said:
Some of the warehouse shots/stunts, cemetery, Akator temple etc. etc.

I don't remember anyone accusing those things of being CGI, but maybe I've just been reading the wrong things.

caats

IndyJess said:
Yes the ants looked horribly fake. The obvious matte shots in the warehouse were quite embarrassing.

well what the heck do you want. have you seen the CGI in past Indy movies?? you expect everything to be perfect now? we're not there yet.

James

Udvarnoky said:
I don't remember anyone accusing those things of being CGI, but maybe I've just been reading the wrong things.

I noticed that a lot of people just assumed the entire thing was filmed using greenscreens. Many critics didn't even believe Ford was actually in a real warehouse. This, despite the fact that the very first set photo clearly showed the film's warehouse behind Ford!

Indy's brother

James said:
The initial reveal of the cemetery warriors- where one is crawling along the tree.

Yeah, that shot is just a mess, it looks like a model, but I don't think it is. Also the obvious cgi matte of the burial mounds or whatever they are called in the background. I think the matte may be at a wonky angle just to fit it into the shot, but I'm not sure. I'm not exactly sure about why it looks so fake, all I know is that it does. The shot of them coming out with Mac waiting was great, though. No effects there, just a pretty shot. Actually, much, if not most of the cgi is the best I've seen. The warehouse looked great, I knew the prairie dogs were cgi, but the dirt mound in the paramount fade had me fooled. I knew of course that the ufo shot was obviously full of effects, but to my eye, I couldn't tell which parts were cgi's. That and the mushroom cloud were both very aesthetically pleasing, whether or not anyone enjoyed their context. Too bad the cgi monkeys looked so terrible around Spalko, which begs the question that if they were live monkeys, would we have liked it more? Possibly an impossible feat, but I think it might have actually looked cool.

We'll never know.

James

Indy's brother said:
Too bad the cgi monkeys looked so terrible around Spalko, which begs the question that if they were live monkeys, would we have liked it more? Possibly an impossible feat, but I think it might have actually looked cool.

I think the general concept was destined to be ridiculed, no matter how they had achieved it.

The monkey that Spalko holds is easily one of the weakest uses of cgi in the film. But it didn't really bother me that much, probably because it reminded me of the Monkey King finale. (Can you imagine if that script had actually been filmed, using 1988 technology? :D )

Snakes

QBComics said:
The best (IMO) was the water crashing in at the very end of the and washing away the Akator.

:)

That's probably because they used practical water for that shot, and then enhanced it and added it to everything else. They only CG that I don't really like is during the sword fight. I few shots look really good, but some look too bright and blurry. The ants, monkeys, groundhogs, and matte shots all look good to me.

Udvarnoky

James said:
I noticed that a lot of people just assumed the entire thing was filmed using greenscreens. Many critics didn't even believe Ford was actually in a real warehouse. This, despite the fact that the very first set photo clearly showed the film's warehouse behind Ford!

I'm pretty sure people who made comments like, "The whole movie was filmed against a greenscreen" were being flip, jackasses or not.

Vance

caats said:
well what the heck do you want. have you seen the CGI in past Indy movies?? you expect everything to be perfect now? we're not there yet.

WHAT CGI in the previous Indy films? Unless you're counting the retouching for the new masters, which is a different kettle o' fish.

I don't think they were using CGI there (for the backgrounds), they were using a set matte, which looked awful. The true egregious uses of CGI were the sequences in the jungle chase, where nothing looked real at all.