The Cradle of Civilization . . . .

Salacious

I think its completely clear that the cradle of civilization is the children. It has nothing to do with India or the States or Africa or anywhere. Its EVERYWHERE.

The cradle of civilization...ANY civilization, is children.

Still not clear enough?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Salacious said:
I think its completely clear that the cradle of civilization is the children. It has nothing to do with India or the States or Africa or anywhere. Its EVERYWHERE.

The cradle of civilization...ANY civilization, is children.

Still not clear enough?

This is clear, your meaning is, but I think that's the wrong interpretation to use. Maybe that's what they were getting at. Maybe they were getting at the Indus Valley civilization. Maybe they were saying that this village was akin to the earliest villages in civilization. I don't know - none of them really ring true to both the facts and traditional usage though.

No Ticket

Instead of being all cool with their wording, they could have just gone simple...

He found the Lost Ark of the Covenant

He witnessed the power of the Shankara Stones

He drank from the Holy Grail

And on May 22nd...

Burke

I wish they'd left out the entire "He protected...he saved...he triumphed..." bit from the trailer altogether. It kinda made Indy seem like a superhero, which I think is antithetical to the character's spirit. He's a man who gets beaten up and dirty and bloody in pursuit of these relics, and is iconic enough to forego the "intro" those three montages provided.

Iandiana

No Ticket said:
Instead of being all cool with their wording, they could have just gone simple...

He found the Lost Ark of the Covenant

He witnessed the power of the Shankara Stones

He drank from the Holy Grail

And on May 22nd...

Lol. True. True.

Sorry to interrupt but I thought the slogans were not movie specific. I know they use shots from each film but in all 3 films he did all that stuff.

The divine - Ark, Stones + Grail

and in protecting them saved civilisation as a whole. Plus "armies" of evil implies plurality (it's a word) and the Nazi's were just one army. The other army is possibly the Thugee?

Joe Brody

Burke said:
I wish they'd left out the entire "He protected...he saved...he triumphed..." bit from the trailer altogether. It kinda made Indy seem like a superhero, which I think is antithetical to the character's spirit. He's a man who gets beaten up and dirty and bloody in pursuit of these relics, and is iconic enough to forego the "intro" those three montages provided.

He's a survivor. . . .

[ . . .and if the survivor theme had been selected for the beginning of the Trailer, then just think: we could've had different opening music and instead of all these posters falling over themselves asking about the Children of Dune music, we could have all these people asking what is this Eye of the Tiger song.]

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
Yes! An Indy/Balboa crossover!

Ask yourself: Do you want this:

indy_old.gif

In your corner?

[Oh, who am I kidding. I'm just glad someone here got the joke.]

nitzsche

Clearly, the phrases correspond to the visual cues presented in the trailer. The ToD segment centers on the children he rescued. It's not saying India is the cradle of civilization. It's suggesting that Indy saved the children and the civilization would survive into the next generation.

And in the quest for the Grail, Indy did triumph over Hitler.

Stoo

nitzsche said:
The ToD segment centers on the children he rescued. It's not saying India is the cradle of civilization. It's suggesting that Indy saved the children and the civilization would survive into the next generation.
Absolutely! It is so OBVIOUS. I can't believe there is a thread dedicated to this one line.
IndyJr. pointed this out pages ago but it just fell by the wayside.

Joe Brody said:
I'm just glad someone here got the joke.
I got it. “Eye of the Tiger” is one, terrible tune! It was played endlessly on the radio...

Paden

Joe Brody said:
[ . . .and if the survivor theme had been selected for the beginning of the Trailer, then just think: we could've had different opening music and instead of all these posters falling over themselves asking about the Children of Dune music, we could have all these people asking what is this Eye of the Tiger song.]
Such a missed opportunity, and not just with regard to the music. If Lucasfilm had gone this route, they could've included the tagline "It ain't over 'til it's over" on the advance one sheets. ;)

Paden

I'm glad to be back. Lately, I started to really miss spending time at this old saloon. Looking at the date of that last post of mine, I was kind of surprised to see just how long I'd been MIA.

And not that I'm surprised given goings on in the world of film, but there's a lot more patrons in this establishment than the last time I sauntered in here. :)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
nitzsche said:
Clearly, the phrases correspond to the visual cues presented in the trailer. The ToD segment centers on the children he rescued. It's not saying India is the cradle of civilization. It's suggesting that Indy saved the children and the civilization would survive into the next generation.

But the point is that "the cradle of civilization" is a phrase with an actual meaning, established over time. To simply use it in this other context, with the (alleged) intent of having it refer to the children, is sloppy at best and smacking of ignorance at worst.

Joe Brody

Paden said:
I'm glad to be back. Lately, I started to really miss spending time at this old saloon. Looking at the date of that last post of mine, I was kind of surprised to see just how long I'd been MIA.

You've been missed. Here's hoping you can take stock of the madness and offer some signature wry observations.

. . . and back on topic, I'm still irked that Indy gets credit for saving the cradle. . . . There's nothing that I hate more than the helpless native as a pretext for adventure.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
nitzsche said:
Google 'india cradle of civilization' ;)

Even if you make the argument about the Indus Valley civilizations and so forth, and even if I grant it, it still smacks of claims that the village we saw in Temple of Doom is exactly the way a similar village would be four thousand years ago, and that's cause for concern.

The stakes weren't as global in Temple of Doom. That's fine. Not every story should be so huge. But to try to portray them as such now? That's just ridiculous.

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
The stakes weren't as global in Temple of Doom.
Sure they were. As Canyon already pointed out, the Thugs were planning on
overunning the Muslims, collapsing both Jewish and Christian faiths and ruling
the world.

How is that NOT global?