The Dark Knight

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
I know I'm not alone when I say that the direction is the thing I found least impressive, at least insofar as the editing goes; you don't have to succumb to the incoherence and wheels and fists editing. Try the long shot for a change. This may be mostly the fight scenes where it's deficient in this way, but that's a fair number of scenes.

I think that the fast-editing and close-ups in The Dark Knight were far more tastefully done than the equivalent in Michael Bay's films and the like. There was actually an artistic purpose behind it.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
oki9Sedo said:
I think that the fast-editing and close-ups in The Dark Knight were far more tastefully done than the equivalent in Michael Bay's films and the like. There was actually an artistic purpose behind it.

What would you say the purpose was? This isn't intended as a contentious question; I'm genuinely curious, not being really that familiar with Bay and the like.

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
What would you say the purpose was? This isn't intended as a contentious question;

Not at all. I only saw The Dark Knight once back in July, so I'm really referring the most to Batman Begins.

I suppose to summarise at the beginning, whereas in Michael Bay films you can't fully see whats going on, thats because he's misguided. He thinks fast-cutting and rapid camera movements make the action scene more exciting and intense, when in fact it is just frustrating for the reasons you mentioned. However, with Christopher Nolan not being fully able to see whats going on is actually the point and there is a good, well though out reason behind it, whether you agree with that reason or not.

Christopher Nolan said that reason was to make the audience feel like the criminals Batman is ambushing. They're confused, disoriented, lost, panicking etc. Batman's greatest weapon against them is fear. He's incredibly fast, and is master of using his surroundings and is able to appear from and disappear into the shadows in a second.

These are very modern, urban films, and I think that this style lends an intensity and grittiness that is very appropriate. The films manage to be slick at the same time too, though.

I have to say I also prefer fight scenes with classical framing. Wide shots where the audience does there own editing, as Spielberg would say, and which is prominent in the Indiana Jones films. That said, I feel that that style would not be appropriate at all for the kind of Batman Christopher Nolan is trying to create.

The Man

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39283

Next week, on December 9th, Warner Brothers Records will be releasing a two-disc, special edition complete score album from THE DARK KNIGHT.

31ewUvYHzDL__SS400_.jpg

Disc One

1. Why So Serious?
2. I'm Not A Hero
3. Harvey Two-Face
4. Aggressive Expansion
5. Always A Catch
6. Blood On My Hands
7. A Little Push
8. Like A Dog Chasing Cars
9. I Am The Batman
10. And I Thought My Jokes Were Bad
11. Agent Of Chaos
12. Introduce A Little Anarchy
13. Watch The World Burn
14. A Dark Knight

Disc Two

1. Bank Robbery (Prologue)
2. Buyer Beware
3. Halfway To Hong Kong
4. Decent Men In An Indecent Time
5. You're Gonna Love Me
6. Chance
7. You Complete Me
8. The Ferries
9. We Are Tonight's Entertainment
10. A Watchful Guardian
11. Why So Serious?(The Crystal Method Remix)
12. Poor Choice Of Words(Paul van Dyk Remix)
13. Gunpowder And Gasoline(Remix by Mel Wesson)
14. Rory's First Kiss(Remix by Ryeland Allison)

agentsands77

Well, given the selection of flicks in 2008 so far, I'd say that THE DARK KNIGHT takes the cake pretty easily. There's not much competition.

That's not to say that the verdict's in, though. We still have THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON, for instance, and a few other potentially striking films before December reaches its close.

The Man

Anybody get their Blu-Ray yet? My sister is holding mine until Christmas Day. Kind and cruel, the typical sibling...

The Man

Zimmer back in the frame...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23839

Notch up another victory for the Batman ? The Dark Knight?s score is now back in contention for an Academy Award.

If you?ll recall, the Music Branch Executive Committee of the Academy disqualified the score last month on the grounds that composers Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard had listed three other people as contributors, which is against Academy rules.

However, after reviewing the facts of the case, the Academy were satisfied that Howard and Zimmer were solely responsible for the actual music, and have reinstated the score for consideration by Academy members.

indyrcks

I loved The Dark Knight Heath Ledger should be proud of that role but he's no longer with us what a role he played as The Joker and Christian Bale is brilliant as Batman what did you think of the film

caats

Forbidden Eye said:
Gee, why is everyone making this such a big deal when the score was easily the weakest part of the movie?

Everyone truly memorable(with the possible exception of one theme) was lifted right out of Batman Begins. Some "original" score. :rolleyes:

pretty incorrect here. If you listen to the soundtrack it's pretty crazy some of the stuff they do. and you could barely here the scoring in Begins. it's fantastic in Dark Knight. all the joker stuff captures the character perfectly

agentsands77

Forbidden Eye said:
Gee, why is everyone making this such a big deal when the score was easily the weakest part of the movie?

Everyone truly memorable(with the possible exception of one theme) was lifted right out of Batman Begins. Some "original" score. :rolleyes:
I did like the score for THE DARK KNIGHT considerably more than the score for BEGINS, but I do have to agree that most of it is material from BEGINS (aside from the Joker's theme and a few other moments), just reorchestrated.

The Man

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2155

The first numbers are in, and the Blu-ray release of Warner Brothers 'The Dark Knight' sold 107,730 copies on its first day of release in the UK, representing 21% of total sales for the title. Last month, the total number of Blu-ray Discs sold in the UK was 463,000, making this one day record-breaking gross that much more impressive.

The Man

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iYDaXgWrrfsgIVAvgVTGzXQYZvrA

Late Australian actor Heath Ledger received a second posthumous award here Tuesday, as the Los Angeles Film Critics Association honored his performance in Batman blockbuster "The Dark Knight."

Ledger is a heavy favorite to land a best supporting actor Oscar for his spellbinding portrayal of arch-villain the Joker in the film, which shattered a series of US box office records after its release in July.