The Frank Darabont Script

weyhoops

The more I think about it, the more it seems like a no-brainer to chop Mac and Ox and insert Marion's husband while retaining Mutt. Keep it in the family and get the audience MUCH more involved in the characters. Let them feel a little disappointed that Indy is not "with" Marion while the two of them share their classic, sizzling love/hate dialogue.

Even with Mutt's watery eyes, I never care much that Ox went crazy. But it would rile me up a bit to see Marion with another man (even though Indy was the one who left her). I'd really feel for him and his lonely state, especially given his age. While this may sound a little too dark/deep for this tone of this film, it could have been played--as I said before--with a lot of humor.

Daring Dragoon

weyhoops said:
So given your impressions of the script, what is it that you think displeased George specifically? Was the tone too similar to Raiders? The Nazi inclusion? Lack of 50s references? No offspring? Indy and Marion's husband competing for her? There must be some critical difference between Darabont and Koepp scripts that really tweaked George...and I can't say that I'm really picking up on it here. There are differences, yes. But from the Spielberg quote about "agreeing to agree", George had to have some really serious problem with the script. Obviously it wasn't the goofier snake-eating stuff...

I honestly don't know why Lucas passed up on this script. Sure, it feels very much like Raiders, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Aren't most of the bad reviews towards KOTCS saying that it doesn't feel like Raiders?

If this would have been made, I think most Indy fans would either put it right behind Raiders, or even say it was better.

The Man

weyhoops said:
So given your impressions of the script, what is it that you think displeased George specifically? Was the tone too similar to Raiders? The Nazi inclusion? Lack of 50s references? No offspring? Indy and Marion's husband competing for her? There must be some critical difference between Darabont and Koepp scripts that really tweaked George...and I can't say that I'm really picking up on it here. There are differences, yes. But from the Spielberg quote about "agreeing to agree", George had to have some really serious problem with the script. Obviously it wasn't the goofier snake-eating stuff...

Lucas wanted Mutt, pure and simple. Darabont scoffed, "Mutt? I don't remember writing that character," in an interview.

weyhoops

While I think there are many fans, hardcore and casual alike, who would agree with you Dragoon, I think the filmmakers would not. I recently rewatched the making-of documentaries on the first DVD release, and its clear that Spielberg and Lucas were very conscious of creating a new and different Indiana Jones movie each time, rather than rehashing the previous one(s). Style, tone, character...all were shifted considerably between movies. (Yes, I'm aware that a lot of people accuse LC of being a Raiders rehash, but I think the Connery storyline ultimately derails this lazy accusation). Given this insight, I think it is actually likely that George (especially the "new", rather eccentric George) would veto the Darabont script on the grounds that it was trying to cash in on or ape the Raiders story and "feel". I think that's why we got such a different-feeling movie, actually, and one that has seriously polarized fans. George really didn't want to play it safe...same as with the prequels I think. The results may not be what anyone (except for--or maybe including--him) is hoping for or expecting, but I guess if unique is what he's looking for, he's getting it.

weyhoops

The Man said:
Lucas wanted Mutt, pure and simple. Darabont scoffed, "Mutt? I don't remember writing that character," in an interview.

While Lucas may have wanted him, I would argue that it isn't likely that this was the breaking point. Remember, Lucas wrote the story. So if he had Mutt in the story from the beginning, I'm guessing Darabont would have included him (or he wouldn't have been so surprised/disappointed to have his script turned down). I actually wouldn't be surprised if the father-son return was something Spielberg pushed for (for obvious reasons).

If Lucas wanted offspring from the beginning, Darabont would have included it. And I'm sure if that was the only problem, Lucas would have just asked Darabont to insert him. I think the issue George had must have been pretty large in scale--namely tone/feel.

Daring Dragoon

The Man said:

They could have easily added Mutt and taken out a few other characters. Basically what Lucas did was add Mutt, and cut out 60% of his story.

ScarfaceJoker

I have just acquired it as well - just reading through it now. Can't tell you whether it's a fake or real - never read any of Darabont's screenplays before so I can't judge the writing style.

Everybody will probably have it before the day is out - so it's no big deal!

Probably won't be finished til tomorrow as I do have other things going on!

I'll let you know my thoughts when I finish! :)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Especially if it's tied to the Ark of the Coventant...and Shambhala. After all, why were the Ravenwoods in Nepal?

The Man

Daring Dragoon said:
They could have easily added Mutt and taken out a few other characters. Basically what Lucas did was add Mutt, and cut out 60% of his story.

It's a total hodge-podge. Is there any trace or even hint of a child in Darabont's script?

weyhoops

So has this thing leaked? We've got at least a couple people on the boards who have "it"--whether its the real thing or not is unknown.

Peacock's-Eye

The thing is, people would still be complaining no matter which script was used. Darabont would be the whipping boy if he'd made it through. He got off easy - he became an instant hero to many fanboys. As long as that script remains unattainable, it will remain one of the greatest ever written in the minds of many.