The Funeral of Indiana Jones

monkey

As is often the case, reading through one thread inspires another. While reading through the "Character of IJ" thread, which has some great posts and observations, I began to think of ways to start out the Indy IV movie with Jones in the absolute worst of circumstances. The theme of the movie would then be how he 'redeems' himself.

I considered the idea of opening the movie with IJ as a prisoner on Devil's Island. But then I tried to think of even worse circumstances.

What could be worse than being dead?

So why not open up the movie with Indiana Jones' Funeral?

Is he really dead? I don't know......OK, No, no way, but the audience won't realize that until well into the movie. There can be a lot of introspection among his friends, lovers, and associates which might shed a lot of unique light on the character.

..........Then after enough of that sentimental nonsense, old Harrison Ford will make his righteous entrance, and commence to kicking @$$.

Anyone care to write a Eulogy for Dr. Jones?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The film opens, looking down on a horse somewhere in the American Southwest. A man walks out in a cowboy hat, no, no it's a fedora. He has a bandanna tied around his face, so he doesn't get dust in his mouth. He rides off, galloping far faster than anyone has the right to. He runs near two boy scouts near the edge of a cliff, and in his effort to avoid both the boys and the cliff, his horse is spooked by a snake. We see the fedora on the branch of a hanging tree, and then cut to:

PRINCETON

There sits a bust of INDIANA JONES in a cathedral. An tall Asian man says, "he was the most extraordinary man I ever knew."

EXT. CATHEDRAL

Men are walking down steps. A reporter asks one, a Colonel Musgrove, what he thought of Dr. Jones. "He played an important part in the fight against the Fasc..."

"No, no, about Jones himself."

"No, I didn't know him well, you know."

The reporter asks another man, who goes by the name of Jock, what he thought of Jones. "Yes, it was my privilege to know him, and to make the world known to him. He was a teacher, a scholar, an a mighty warrior." The reporter walks off, and Jock says to his companion, "he was also afraid of snakes."

At this, a passerby says, "You're wrong sir, he was a great man."

Jock asks, "did you know him?"

"Sir, I did not have the pleasure to know him. But I did have the honor to once place an apple on his desk, at Marshall."

The reporter finally approaches another man, Dr. Mulhouse of the University of Chicago, and asks him what he thought of Dr. Jones.

"He took part in some major transgression on Founding Father's Day."

And now the flashback begins...

Okay, that was rather self-indulgent. But seriously, why not? Why not find out he is dead, and then find out why? Well, it worked excellently for Lawrence of Arabia, Citizen Kane, and Sunset Boulevard, but being a series, I'm not sure that it would. It could, but I think it might work better if he dies at the end.

I'm fine with him dying. In fact, it would bring a nice bit of closure to the character. Let it start with his funeral...or faked death, perhaps. Maybe it begins with an homage to Sherlock Holmes...Indy meets up with his nemesis at...well, why not Reichenbach Falls?...during the war, perhaps, and he goes missing, until, well, the early 1950's. He has been traveling the world, doing something I suppose, but the first thing we see is his death, and then perhaps friends, family, and associates mourning in various ways as they hear the news (Jock and Reggie in a ramshackle jungle shack, Willie coming off-stage, Marion in the office of her bar, etc.) Then we have a new title, and we find out that he has returned (it would be wonderful to have Marcus for this, but I suppose that is impossible...could have Lucas & Spielberg have minor roles as two of his associates, perhaps, to play the Watson role...)

I don't know, I'm just musing...

yodablob

Attila the Professor said:
The film opens, looking down on a horse somewhere in the American Southwest. A man walks out in a cowboy hat, no, no it's a fedora. He has a bandanna tied around his face, so he doesn't get dust in his mouth. He rides off, galloping far faster than anyone has the right to. He runs near two boy scouts near the edge of a cliff, and in his effort to avoid both the boys and the cliff, his horse is spooked by a snake. We see the fedora on the branch of a hanging tree, and then cut to:

PRINCETON

There sits a bust of INDIANA JONES in a cathedral. An tall Asian man says, "he was the most extraordinary man I ever knew."

EXT. CATHEDRAL

Men are walking down steps. A reporter asks one, a Colonel Musgrove, what he thought of Dr. Jones. "He played an important part in the fight against the Fasc..."

The reporter asks another man, who goes by the name of Jock, what he thought of Jones. "Yes, it was my privilege to know him, and to make the world known to him. He was a teacher, a scholar, an a mighty warrior." The reporter walks off, and Jock says to his companion, "he was also afraid of snakes."

"Sir, I did not have the pleasure to know him. But I did have the honor to once place an apple on his desk, at Marshall."

The reporter finally approaches another man, Dr. Mulhouse of the University of Chicago, and asks him what he thought of Dr. Jones.

Okay, that was rather self-indulgent. But seriously, why not? Why not find out he is dead, and then find out why? Well, it worked excellently for Lawrence of Arabia, Citizen Kane, and Sunset Boulevard, but being a series, I'm not sure that it would. It could, but I think it might work better if he dies at the end.

um, why would the reporter care about ij? every thing he did in the movies were boxed, exploded, and most likely not publicized, they wouldnt care about him being an archiologist. at most they would put his name in the obitchuaries.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I can't believe monkey beat me to the punch...

the RUM PUNCH that is...! :eek:

j/k.

Actually I was thinking last night while in a budweiser stupor, "...maybe we should have a 'Write an Epigrapth for Indy' post..."

I can deal with him dead, but I don't think that is Darbont's style. He is to touchy-feely-mushy-mushy.

monkey

Atilla, That was a great post, a very entertaining read!

Palehorse, sorry I drank all the punch. I left a couple of beers in the fridge for you though.

FAN

Your kidding right Monkey. Have some faith, it's Indy were talking about,the story does not end here, ( at least hope not . You know I wouldent be suprised if we were sued for battery, murder, and descimation of character. First your making him out to be pitiful ( decimation of character)then your talking about him fallinf off a clif or loosing an eye ( battery/assualt ) and now your trying to kill him
( murder ). And the poor guy is only a story character so he can't even ask the police to put him into protective custody."SOOOOOO LOOOOOOONG AAAAAAAND FAAAAAAAARWEEELLLLLL . . . " poor guy, the movie isn't even made yet and your already trying to kill him. Well let me speak a few words of remberance,

Today we gather in memory of our brother
Indiana Jones, he had many qualities such
er, pursiute of the truth, um, and becoming
one in the flesh, and er showing courage in
the face of danger. Ashes to ashes,dust to dust,
he goe's from us to a better place,may he rest in
peace. AMEN

Let us remember Indiana Jones with kindness and tenderness.
FAN

FAN

Well since were on the subjest of Indy's death you know what would be even stranger, if at his funeral, Marion and a son showed up as well as Willy, and it turns out that Indy isn't dead that there was a bomb or something dropped or they were excavating a bomb from Germany that they needed to recover and it blew up, but some how Indy survived and they got the wrong body. And Indy is watching his funeral from the balcony or something. Or it really is his body and he is pretending to be dead, or whatever. That would be stranger. What do you guy's think? FAN

Canyon

Firstly, Monkey and Attila, very interesting ideas you have there. :D On one hand, to see people talking about Indiana and to see them saying nice things about him after all the brave things he's done over the years, would be a great thing to see.

So it seems we are looking a the following:
a)Indy faking his own death
b)Indy going missing so that people presume he is dead
or
c)Indy actually dying :(

To me, the second one would be the best as firstly, I doubt that Indy would fake his own death, and also the fact that I sincerely hope that he doesn't die... :(

FAN, I get where you are coming from. I really do not want them to kill Indy off, but I think having a part where everyone thinks he is dead, either at the beginning or near the end would give Indy 4 some depth. (It would probably have to be longer than in Last Crusade - say 20 minutes so the audience really thinks he's gone...)

BTW, Monkey. Great to see you back! ;) firstly, I hope the move went well, and I am looking forward to hearing from you with your new e-mail address and eagerly anticipate reading the next part of Nan Madol!

Oh, one last thing. As we are on the subject of Indy's death, I thought you might like to see this article that was published in the English newspaper, The Daily Mail back in 1990, when Ford said he didn't want to do any more Indy films.

I present an obituary for Indiana Jones.
http://www.theindyexperience.com/image/indy_parody_mag1.gif

FAN

Perhaps we should start an off shoot of this thread as a tribute to the Spirit of Archeology and Adventure Indiana Jones. FAN

P.S. How to you put Smilies in these post's? I can't figure it out. FAN

Attila the Professor said:

PRINCETON

EXT. CATHEDRAL

I'm fine with him dying. In fact, it would bring a nice bit of closure to the character. Let it start with his funeral...or faked death, perhaps. Maybe it begins with an homage to Sherlock Holmes...Indy meets up with his nemesis at...well, why not Reichenbach Falls?...during the war, perhaps, and he goes missing, until, well, the early 1950's. He has been traveling the world, doing something I suppose, but the first thing we see is his death, and then perhaps friends, family, and associates mourning in various ways as they hear the news (Jock and Reggie in a ramshackle jungle shack, Willie coming off-stage, Marion in the office of her bar, etc.) Then we have a new title, and we find out that he has returned (it would be wonderful to have Marcus for this, but I suppose that is impossible...could have Lucas & Spielberg have minor roles as two of his associates, perhaps, to play the Watson role...)

I don't know, I'm just musing...

Wow Attila, that sounds so cool! You really put a lot of thought into this, huh! I think that would be a really awesome scene- except I agree with Canyon, that indy doesn't really DIE (because many fans would be quite heartbroken, including me!) but he has actually gone missing somewhere and they have the wrong body. I absolutely love the idea of everyone eulogizing Indy and talking about the wonderful things he's done...That would definitely add some depth to the movie. In my opinion, this scene could be near the end of the film and after about 20 minutes or so Indy could reappear and unite with all his family and friends and it would be a happy ending!!!
I love happy endings!! (Although this idea of mine sounds a little cheesy for the likes of Indiana Jones)

FAN

Hey evreyone has cheesy idea's here, join the crowd Indygirl. Post on girl post on. FAN

[Edited by FAN on 08-01-2003 at 11:08 am]

monkey

Fan, I love your idea of Indiana Jones sitting up in the balcony, (or maybe the choir loft) while watching his own funeral. That's great! What a great idea!!

The movie could open with the funeral, and Indy being Eulogized. Many tears and wet handkerchiefs. You wouldn't see him hiding, and watching from the balcony until several minutes into the movie.

This would immediately grab the audience's attention, and peak their curiosity.

What's the explanation? There's got to be about a million different fun and interesting ideas we could think of to explain those circumstances.

I'm tempted to start writing an opening scene like this. Hmmmmmmmm....this might be fun.

(Hey Canyon, thanks for thinking about me, I'll write you real soon.)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Eulogy, huh?

"We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of Indiana Jones - professor of archaeology, expert on the occult, and, how does one say it? obtainer of rare antiquities."

Hmm...okay, I've done enough. A parody of the opening scene of Lawrence of Arabia (I admit, that was fun).

Can anyone think of any major instances besides that of Sherlock Holmes where a hero appears to be dead, but isn't really. Oh, yes, I suppose there is Tom Saywer. But other than that...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
apalehorse said:
The Usual Suspects?

Yes, that's right...I've never seen it, but I've heard about it, anyway...but I guess my suggestion may take us down a tangent...we don't really need to know what other characters have done...

The whole thing (death of Jones) has potential though. Particularly with some mournful sounding version of the Raiders March...

Patrick

That's a great script Atilla! I was thinking they should have a funeral for Marcus,Y'know? I didn't really like how Mr.Brody was not mentioned in ToD( Though they didn't need to and I don't know where they would put that part) I'd like to see all the characters back but have a reason. Sometimes it kind of bothered me where he would have an adventure with one person and in the next another. I know many of you will disagree with me but I'd like to see a reunion type thing that makes sense. It would make this one more special than Indy going on an adventure with just another lady ( I wonder if there will be one with just Indy or one with just men on it?).

FAN

All right I have one question on this funeral thing.
What will the people clest to him be like? Will Marion say " Good, the jerk's finally dead, " ? Will Willie ball her eyes out? Will Indy's dad be thinking over all the time he could have spent with his son and didn't? Will Sallah remember all the good times they had? What will happen with these people's emotional state's. You know we should take our ideas and write our own bogus Indy IV script for fun. I mean we have a lot og good stuff here,

Indy to a point needing redemption, Indy having to take a son under his wing, faking his own death and watching other's ball, the attempted rise of the Fourth Reich, trying to beat the communsit's to the punch, ect . . . can anyone else think of stuff we already came up with? Hey if it's good enough maybe we should send it into Lucasfilms and demand/petition them to make Indy V. What do you think?
FAN