The Henry

ok so on Adventurbilt.com they advertise a "indy on a budget" fedora called the henry. Has anyone purchased it? is it real? is it worth it? how much does it cost? good luck indyfans this is a tough one

eazybox

oliverjones18 said:
ok so on Adventurbilt.com they advertise a "indy on a budget" fedora called the henry. Has anyone purchased it? is it real? is it worth it? how much does it cost? good luck indyfans this is a tough one

Ther'es lots of info on the Henry at Club Obi Wan, including photos. Marc Kitter of AB Deluxe developed it. It's made of a blend of rabbit and beaver and I believe it sells for under $300.00. I don't have one, but the reviews I've read have been vary favorable, as you would expect from ABD.

Jack

eazybox

oliverjones18 said:
Thanks man but under $300 can mean anything $299 or anything else. Is it like $150 or something actually affordable

It's about 248 U.S. dollars, but I believe that's a special price for COW members only; so, if you wanted that price you would probably need to join COW first.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Nurhachi1991

248.00 what a deal :rolleyes:

Haha I wish they would make a decent quality Indy hat for under 200.00 :(

well the Dorfman's are alright but you have to customize them to get that pinch.

eazybox

In my opinion, the best looking inexpensive Indy style hat is the Christys Adventurer in fur felt. The last time I checked, it was only about $75.00 USD. I've had one for almost a year, and I love it. It gets great reviews from most owners but probably should be kept away from heavy rain. If you want a cheap, great-looking Raiders hat, this is the way to go. If you need a more rugged hat for out door adventures, the Federation lV might be a better choice.

Jack

eazybox

Nurhachi1991 said:
Thanks Jack! Could you please post a link?

hornetshats.com

It's in the fur felt section. the photo on their site does not really do it justice; there are lots of better photos of it in the Christy's Adventurer thread on COW. It comes open crown and is very easy to shape whichever way you like. $73.00 USD, current price!

Jack

penman hats

I would suggest going to the fed 4 for a inexpensive Indy fedora. The Christy is what I and many others would call a throw away hat. You buy it and wear it for a little bit and then throw it away. The fed 4 can hold up much longer and can be re-blocked.

eazybox

My Christys has not been a throwaway at all; I've had it for about a year and it still looks as good as it did the day I received it. There have been a great many other positive reviews of it, too. Just read them and make up your own mind.

Jack

IndyWhips

eazybox said:
My Christys has not been a throwaway at all; I've had it for about a year and it still looks as good as it did the day I received it. There have been a great many other positive reviews of it, too. Just read them and make up your own mind.

Jack
I agree, I have a Fed4 and a Christys, I bought the Christys on price as I needed to take some pictures for a project it's a little over a year old and I wear it near every day albeit only to the workshop and back which is at the bottom of my garden, it's had torrential soakings on numerous occasions and is as good as new......I'd say both hats are equal...;)

A very good friend of mine who's name I shan't mention has an AB deluxe handmade and a Henry and swears blind that The Henry is a much much nicer hat......:eek:

The moral of the story is......make your own mind up...if you look hard enough here or on COW or on the Lounge you'll pretty much find good and bad stuff about every hat, every jacket,every whip, every shirt etc ety etc etc:confused:

My 2p's worth:D

Tony

eazybox

The best thing is that we now have a wide variety of great-looking hats (and also jackets) to suit every budget and taste. That wasn't the case just a few years ago.

Jack :cool:

Mr. Fusion

I have a Christy's and a Fed IV. I like the feel, fit and functionality of the Fed IV. How's that for some alliteration.:) The only thing I prefer in the Christy's is the color. The Fed IV is too dark. The Adventurer is about the correct color, a richer color brown.

If I had to choose one hat for show or display, I'd pick the Christy's. But if I were to choose one based on anything else, Fed IV for sure.(y)

eazybox

Also remember that the Christys actually is exactly the same as a Herbert Johnson Poet, just with a different label and much lower price than the Poet.

It was recently discovered (by the guys at AB, I think) that most English hat companies use the same factory to make their hats. I believe this is true because I own a Christys and a Magnoli HJ, and the materials seem identical. The Magnoli looks better, of couirse, because Steve Delk rebuilds it using his Raiders block and the original Raiders ribbon.

It also costs about $340 because it has the HJ label, whereas the Christys was only about $73.00 the last time I looked. Who would have thought you could get the original movie hat for less than $75.00? That's probably one of the Christys strongest selling points.

The Fed 4 is definitely a more ruggedly made hat, though. It was designed to be used as a work and outdoors hat. If Indy was a real person, he probanly would have chosen the Fed 4 over the Christys Adventurer. ;)

Jack

penman hats

There is no doubt in my mind that the Christy is the modern HJ. Other than what Steve does to it. The other offering besides the Mag/AB/HJ isn't worth the high price tag. Even if you buy any HJ you are not buying the Raiders hat. You can't buy it because it was most likely a custom order special for DL and the movie. the TOD and LC hat was the poet from Hj.

eazybox

penman hats said:
There is no doubt in my mind that the Christy is the modern HJ. Other than what Steve does to it. The other offering besides the Mag/AB/HJ isn't worth the high price tag. Even if you buy any HJ you are not buying the Raiders hat. You can't buy it because it was most likely a custom order special for DL and the movie. the TOD and LC hat was the poet from Hj.

Yes, the Raiders hat could have been specially customized or "bespoke," but I still think it was a Poet. According to Patterson on COW, there are receipts that prove that all hats provided to the Raiders production were HJ Poets.

I'd like to hear Patterson's take on these new theories before we go ahead and rewrite the history too much. ;)

Jack

penman hats

No one is rewriting history here. I would trust DL memory of her work over most anything else. Just look at the other 2 hats ( TOD and LC) both have the same bow but the Raiders had a total different look. Just to use one example of the hat. TOD and LC are simple to reproduce using the current HJ but not the Raiders ,What changed? DL changed thats what. I haven't seen any receipt proving anything and just because a receipt says poet on it doesn't mean it's the same thing as what you get today or even them. They could have simple use the same felt as the poet and need to add a name on a receipt.

eazybox

penman hats said:
No one is rewriting history here. I would trust DL memory of her work over most anything else. Just look at the other 2 hats ( TOD and LC) both have the same bow but the Raiders had a total different look. Just to use one example of the hat. TOD and LC are simple to reproduce using the current HJ but not the Raiders ,What changed? DL changed thats what. I haven't seen any receipt proving anything and just because a receipt says poet on it doesn't mean it's the same thing as what you get today or even them. They could have simple use the same felt as the poet and need to add a name on a receipt.

Well, Patterson is the real authority on all of this. He put years of research into the costume and I would personally trust what his findings-- whatever they may be-- over anything else. Memories can become foggy over time, but hard facts don't lie. But I'm not prejudiced either way, I'm just interested in the truth.

Jack