The role of history in Dial of Destiny

British Raider

How do we know history happened if we aren’t there to see it? - Henry Jones Jr

The answer of course is through the artefacts, through what remains. Indy sees his role as an archaeologist as a protector of artefacts so they may teach and nurture remembrance.

‘We were trying to save history!’ - Basil Shaw

The series has used history to reflect Indy’s character before, but it feels even more prominent in Dial where it heavily charts his journey from a young man committed to preserving the remnants of the past, to feeling as an older man like he is one figuratively, to getting to almost fulfil it literally by remaining in 214BC.

With this commitment to preserving artefacts also comes obsession. We’ve seen it from Indy’s own obsession in his pursuit of the Cross of Coronado, Abner’s off-screen pursuit of the Ark, Henry Jones Sr with the Holy Grail, Harold Oxley with the Crystal Skulls and Basil Shaw with the Antikythera mechanism. The series has always contrasted our protagonist’s pursuit with the villains which are always for bad, selfish ends, not for teaching.

I think it’s fitting for a movie that out of the five is most interested in Indy’s state of mind and exposing his soul that there are two interventions. The first is Indy’s intervention of Basil when he is gripped in the obsession over the Dial. It’s not a successful one as he lies to Basil and I’m assuming doesn’t return his promise of contacting Helena once he lands back in the states. So he takes the artefact and runs. Sound familiar? Only Basil continued to obsess until his death. Another person in his life he didn’t stick around for. It’s no surprise that when asked what he would do with the dial it’s to dissuade his son Mutt from enlisting. It’s understandable but his mind is so caught up in the past, thinking of things he should have said, rather than focusing on what he could be doing in the present. The second is Helena’s intervention of Indy, which is far more successful, even if it requires socking him unconscious. But she more than makes up for it afterwards by sticking around and reuniting him with Marion.

The only way out of obsession it seems is to form strong personal relationships. Something the series has demonstrated before.

In a nice little echo we get two instances where friends of Indy care enough about him that they carry his bag of belongings (fedora, whip, jacket). First is Basil who is caught with the bag and is brought with him aboard the Nazi train, allowing Indy to later change into his familiar iconic look. Later, Sallah makes the effort off-screen to go to Indy’s apartment and retrieve his same bag of belongings. He gives them to Indy at the airport. While Indy’s first words in Dial are, “I like to be alone,” the movies keep coming back to the important role his friends and family play in his life, both big and small.

But it isn’t just through Indiana Jones and Basil that we see the importance of history. In his brief couple of scenes, another echo of sorts, Sallah is first shown asking his grandchildren what year the Suez Crisis was. It’s a nice way to fill us in on some backstory, but it also works thematically. For later we see Sallah and his grandchildren again, after Indy reunites with Marion, he’s recounting the adventures of Indy and Marion to them, showing us the importance he also puts on keeping personal history alive. I like that these two scenes connect in that way. His grandchildren and perhaps Teddy too, will continue their love of history after they’re gone.

George Lucas’ philosophy behind the making of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was that history is really about people, more than it is about events. And Dial of Destiny continues that tradition.​

The Lone Raider

I thought Indy's "I like to be alone" was very...revealing. He was half telling the truth and half lying to himself.

He is, in fact, often a loner, but a loner of his own making, because he's afraid of interpersonal relationships and the accompanying complicated emotional labor. He only relishes his solitude when it serves as a comfortable escape for him. But we know that deep down, he does care. He just doesn't know how to show it, and so he tries and fails constantly to connect with others throughout his life.

The most interesting aspect about the line though is that he says it in 1944. This is after his relationship with Henry has improved and before Henry and Marcus have passed. It is also before he estranged himself from the Shaws. So he takes his relationships for granted, and come 1957, he ends up regretting it when they have all been stripped from him for various reasons.

And then he discounts/neglects his relationships again, 12 years later, after Mutt dies, only this time, his isolation is more self-imposed than it was in 1957.

I just love the way one of his core character flaws finally gets mended during this last entry of the series.

Jones Disciple

George Lucas’ philosophy behind the making of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was that history is really about people, more than it is about events. And Dial of Destiny continues that tradition.​
I enjoyed reading your entire post and I think you inadvertently made a strong case for why Lucas wanted to be put on the film as an Executive Producer. This film continued his franchise in a direction he approved of something Disney failed to do with Star Wars.

British Raider

I think in the past Indy’s always gained someone through his adventures, but often in like KotCS it feels incidental. Whereas in Dial I’d argue it’s much more about working through his core problems, which are infused with his love of history, to finding an understanding that his family were there all along he just couldn’t get past himself to see it.

Spiked

The answer of course is through the artefacts, through what remains. Indy sees his role as an archaeologist as a protector of artefacts so they may teach and nurture remembrance.

Not always. We see Indy rifling through artifacts and tossing them away if they are of no use to him, we also see him damaging and destroying items and desecrating remains. In TLC catacombs without even thinking about if he pulls out the skeletal remains of a person from an alcove to use the legbone as a torch and dumps the rest of the skeleton like it's nothing. He has no qualms about flipping over the knight's coffin and spilling his corpse, sword and shield into the filthy water. And in Raiders by his actions he causes the entire Chachapoyan temple to be destroyed by trying to steal a fertility idol that he ended up losing.

Also the artifacts are not just to "teach and nurture remembrance," in Raiders it's shown that he's not above operating in the black market and sells artifacts for cash. "The museum will buy them as usual, no questions asked."

British Raider

Not always. We see Indy rifling through artifacts and tossing them away if they are of no use to him, we also see him damaging and destroying items and desecrating remains. In TLC catacombs without even thinking about if he pulls out the skeletal remains of a person from an alcove to use the legbone as a torch and dumps the rest of the skeleton like it's nothing. He has no qualms about flipping over the knight's coffin and spilling his corpse, sword and shield into the filthy water. And in Raiders by his actions he causes the entire Chachapoyan temple to be destroyed by trying to steal a fertility idol that he ended up losing.

Also the artifacts are not just to "teach and nurture remembrance," in Raiders it's shown that he's not above operating in the black market and sells artifacts for cash. "The museum will buy them as usual, no questions asked."
All accurate as well. His character is full of contradictions. But if we go as just shown at the beginning of Dial the mission is very much to save history so I used that as the starting point.

Spiked

All accurate as well. His character is full of contradictions. But if we go as just shown at the beginning of Dial the mission is very much to save history so I used that as the starting point.
I get it. It seems like in Raiders and ToD Indy was more edgy and as Belloq said were more alike than different to each other. Then in TLC they tried to sort of lightly retcon that Indy was always about, "that belongs in a museum!"

British Raider

I get it. It seems like in Raiders and ToD Indy was more edgy and as Belloq said were more alike than different to each other. Then in TLC they tried to sort of lightly retcon that Indy was always about, "that belongs in a museum!"
This is exactly it.

NickTurner

they tried to sort of lightly retcon...
'They' being the creators I suppose. I would like to point out though that people 'retcon' themselves all the time. So you could view this as a conscious bit of of trying to reform one's own character. Maybe that was Indy's New Years resolution one time!