The Ultimate Indiana Jones Game Discussion!

The Tingler

Five Indiana Jones gaming fans from websites MixnMojo.com and IndyJones.net sat down recently to argue and discuss which of the four main Indiana Jones games was the Best Ever.

The games are: Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure (PC), Fate of Atlantis: The Graphic Adventure (PC), Infernal Machine (PC/N64), and Emperor's Tomb (XBOX/PC/PS2). Six categories were discussed for each game, then a score out of 10 given from each person. The game that got the best score won! But which was it?

Read it now and find out! Enjoy! :whip:

Dust McAlan

Emperor's Tomb---better than Infernal Machine? Really?

Wowzers. We need to do the same thing here on the forum. Drastic differences I bet.

The Tingler

That was a big surprise, and there was only a few points in it. While Infernal Machine seemed to get knocked down across the board, Emperor's Tomb really excelled in a couple of areas - Sound and Indy Quotient/Action. If you look at the chart, IQ was the only category that Fate of Atlantis lost. It may have plenty of flaws as a game, but Emperor's Tomb is the game where you feel most like Indy.

Although if I fail Von Beck's Pursuit one more time I might snap my disc in half.

Vazel

I thought Emperor's Tomb was the worst of the Indy games. This game along with Thief Deadly Shadows and Deus Ex 2 was one of the first examples of 'consolitis' where the game was designed for the lowest common denominator consoles in the way levels are designed and how the developers don't want to make things complex so as not to frustrate. Each little section of the game is its own level that has to be loaded. I hated how the enemies are always trying to grab and throw you. And when you're using a weapon and are too close you'll often miss. The game ensures that you'll never have to ponder on puzzles or backtrack.

Infernal Machine was ok. Fate of Atlantis isn't just the best Indy game it's also one of the best games period.

Last edited:

The Tingler

Thief: Deadly Shadows was a bloody brilliant game! Okay, not as good as the other two Thieves, but still superb.

I personally think Last Crusade is the worst (which we agreed on at least), then Emperor's Tomb, then Infernal Machine, then Fate of Atlantis. However, I can't stop playing Emperor's Tomb! It's probably the most fun!

Dust McAlan

The Tingler said:
Thief: Deadly Shadows was a bloody brilliant game! Okay, not as good as the other two Thieves, but still superb.

I personally think Last Crusade is the worst (which we agreed on at least), then Emperor's Tomb, then Infernal Machine, then Fate of Atlantis. However, I can't stop playing Emperor's Tomb! It's probably the most fun!
Emperor's Tomb is INSANELY fun to play; I think that, out of all the games, Emperor's Tomb deserves the highest IQ rating because you're running, punching, shooting, whipping, and downright living the Indiana Jones experience. It's frustrating as hell, but it's certainly fun. It would score higher for me were it not so goddamn frustrating in places; I mean, hair-ripping out frustrating! Even Meroe, the Egypt level from Infernal Machine, is a cakewalk compared to some of Emperor's Tomb.

The Tingler

Totally agree. As you can see in the Discussion, it got the best IQ score but also did very well in Sound. The Voice Acting is top notch (I really like David Esch as Indy!), but the Music is utterly superb.

(If you want a few select tracks from the game, IndyJones.net has my personal selection!

Dust McAlan

The Tingler said:
Totally agree. As you can see in the Discussion, it got the best IQ score but also did very well in Sound. The Voice Acting is top notch (I really like David Esch as Indy!), but the Music is utterly superb.

(If you want a few select tracks from the game, IndyJones.net has my personal selection!
You know what? David Esch's voice was the weakest part of the game for me. Maybe it was because Doug Lee did an excellent job with the prior two games (especially in Fate of Atlantis; he was admittedly wasted in Infernal Machine), but I couldn't get into Esch's performance.

The Tingler

I thought he sounded like a younger mix of Harrison Ford and Doug Lee, which is absolutely spot on what it should be.

His script was also a bit atrocious with Emperor's Tomb. Fate of Atlantis is still the standard, although I suspect the upcoming Staff of Kings/Indy 2008 game will get back to the decent level of scriptwriting and direction.