The Wolfman (2010)

Rezzo

Release Date: February 13, 2009

Official Site N/A

HD Trailer N/A

Official Posters N/A

Plot Summary:
Like the 1941 original that starred Lon Chaney Jr., the new film will be set in Victorian England. Del Toro will play a man who returns from America to his ancestral homeland, gets bitten by a werewolf and begins a hairy moonlight existence.

Official Pics
20tjomc.jpg

a4otag.jpg

All of this is old news, but I´ll post it so some of you can catch up on the project.

MTV said:
Confirmed: Anthony Hopkins In For ‘The Wolf Man’

2saaqur.jpg

After months of speculation from both film sites and Benicio Del Toro, we’re happy to finally confirm that legendary thesp Anthony Hopkins is indeed joining Universal’s new take on a classic monster.

“I’m going to do ‘The Wolf Man’ with Benicio Del Toro,” Hopkins stated matter-of-factly during an interview for his new experimental art film, “Slipstream.”

Hopkins will play Sir John Talbot, father to Del Toro’s Lawrence Talbot, the character who becomes afflicted with the werewolf curse. The pic — scheduled for an early ‘09 release — is helmed by music video director Mark Romanek, who has worked with such acts as Weezer, Michael Jackson, Madonna and R.E.M.
Variety said:
Romanek drops out of 'Wolf Man'
Director exits film over creative differences

Director Mark Romanek has ankled "The Wolf Man," putting Universal Pictures in the position of holding together a film just after it patched up "State of Play" due to after the exit of Brad Pitt.

Romanek exited the film late Monday night over creative differences. The film has long had Benicio Del Toro aboard to play the werewolf, and the studio just set Emily Blunt ("Charlie Wilson's War") and Anthony Hopkins to play the other leads in the film.

The studio maintains that Romanek left the project in strong shape and that it expects to set another director quickly. No word on whether a Feb. 18 start date will remain in place.
Variety said:
Johnston to direct 'Wolfman'
Director replaces Romanek

Universal's "The Wolfman" has gotten out of a hairy situation.

The studio set Joe Johnston late Sunday night to replace Mark Romanek as helmer of the pic, keeping the $100 million thriller on course to begin production in London in March.

Romanek stepped out last week over creative differences.

Benicio Del Toro has long been attached to play the title character, but Romanek's exit comes after the studio firmed up Anthony Hopkins to play the title character's father, and for Emily Blunt ("Charlie Wilson's War") to play the female lead.

By solving the director conundrum quickly, U execs keep another of their big 2009 films together; the studio previously salvaged "State of Play" by signing Russell Crowe to replace Brad Pitt in the starring role, after Pitt bowed out weeks before filming was to begin.

"The Wolfman," one of the treasured horror properties in the studio vaults, will cost $85 million, counting about $15 million in tax breaks for shooting in the United Kingdom.

Andrew Kevin Walker wrote the script. Pic's produced by Scott Stuber, Mary Parent, Sean Daniel, Rick Yorn and Andy Davis.

Johnston last directed "Hidalgo" and "Jurassic Park III."
Variety said:
Hugo Weaving to pursue 'Wolfman'
Actor will play detective in Johnston remake

ehkl4x.jpg

Hugo Weaving will join Benicio Del Toro and Emily Blunt in Universal's upcoming redo of "The Wolfman."

Weaving, best known for his appearances in "The Matrix" movies, will play Det. Aberline. Del Toro will play the hirsute title character and Anthony Hopkins his dad. Blunt has been cast as the female lead in the project, which Joe Johnston will direct.

Lensing begins next month in London.

David Self did a rewrite of Andrew Kevin Walker's script. Pic's produced by Scott Stuber, Mary Parent, Sean Daniel and Rick Yorn.

Remake is slated for a Feb. 13 release.
First look at Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins filming The Wolfman, you can check out a few more pics here.

24dhlso.jpg
311teo3.jpg
72st3o.jpg

Rezzo

This is the latest article.

Entertainment Weekly said:
First Look: Benicio Del Toro as the Wolfman
See the Oscar-winning actor in full makeup for the horror movie remake. Plus: Rick Baker on the process of making him into a monster

20tjomc.jpg

It's been 67 years since the Wolfman first attacked the box office, but he'll be making a comeback next year in a remake by Joe Johnston (Hidalgo, Jurassic Park III). Fortunately for all you lycanthrope fans out there who just can't wait that long, EW caught up with the horror flick's makeup artist, six-time Oscar winner Rick Baker, for an exclusive First Look at how he's transformed star Benicio Del Toro into the famed beastly creature.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How many different components go into putting the face of the Wolfman together?
RICK BAKER:
The part that covers his nose and his brow is what we call an appliance. It's made up of a foam, latex piece with tissue-thin edges that covers part of Benicio's face and blends into his own skin. Then we have a wig and dentures that change his teeth into the giant Wolfman teeth. Most of the hair on his face is what we call ''laid.'' It's actually loose hair that we apply little bits at a time with glue to his face. It's very much the way the Wolfman was done in the [1941] original [starring Lon Chaney].

How long does it take to apply all of this makeup?
Typically about three hours ? it's a pretty average time. I've done makeup that's taken close to eight hours before, though.

How much use can you get out of the appliance, dentures, and hair? Do you have to use new sets for each day of shooting?
It's mainly new latex pieces and new facial hair that's reapplied every day. The teeth are the same and the wig is the same, but we have several of those because they tend to get screwed up. The adhesives we use now stay on pretty well. Many times it takes about an hour to remove the makeup. In the old days, back when we used to use spirit gum, at the end of the day you could just kind of pull the stuff off and not harm the person's skin, but now you can't do that ? you'll pull skin off.

Benicio Del Toro already has some wolf-like features ? does that make it easier or harder for you?
In a way, it almost makes it harder. Where do you go from there? He's practically there as it is! [Laughs] I think what's going to make it be harder is when we get into the transformation scenes; going from Benicio to Benicio as the Wolfman isn't a really extreme difference. Like when I did American Werewolf in London, we went from this naked man to a four-legged hound from hell, and we had a lot of room to go from the transformation and do a lot of really extreme things. Here we have Benicio Del Toro, who's practically the Wolfman already, to Benicio Del Toro with more hair and bigger teeth.

What was everyone's reaction on set the first time he came out in makeup?
People seem to be getting really excited about it. These pictures are the first time we put him in makeup, and this was just last week!

a4otag.jpg

What can fans of The Wolfman look forward to the most?
You never know how the movie's going to be, but from what we've done so far, which, mind you, hasn't been very much, what I would say to fans is that at least you know that the guy who's doing the makeup in the movie is coming from the same place they are ? as a fan. I have a real appreciation for the old Universal classics. The old fanboy in me is jumping up and down here!

How much did you update the makeup from the original?
It's actually more frightening. But I still wanted to be true to the original and show respect for it. What's interesting about those two pictures is that there's one that he's kind of facing forward and you see a little more of his body ? that's very much more of a classic Wolfman shot; it looks more like the Chaney version. The close-up one is a more frightening and dynamic version. Even though it's the same makeup [as the first picture], he can do a lot more than Lon Chaney could do with the makeup. It's cool that there's something for the old-school guys, and the other picture is more for the guys who don't even know what the Wolfman is but can see that picture and still go, ''Oh, that's cool!''

How does Wolfman rank next to the rest of the films on your extensive résumé?
It's funny: I've been very successful and done a lot of films, and I don't really have an agent ? I don't really pursue jobs, I let people come to me. I'm not really listed anywhere; I don't know how people find me! It's easier now that I'm more established, but in the earlier days when I first started out, it's actually amazing that I was successful. But with this film, when I first found out they were going to do it, I went and talked to somebody I know at Universal. I said, ''You know what? I have to do The Wolfman! You've got to let me do this! I'll do some really cool stuff.'' The Wolfman and Frankenstein were probably the two most important films in my childhood that made me want to become a makeup artist. I pursued this job. Fortunately they said okay! It's been really fun. We've been filming at night, and were filming in this gypsy camp. It was like being in an old Universal film. We were in this forest with these cool gypsy wagons and these gypsies sitting all around, and people on horseback, and fog ? I was just going, Yeah! The Wolfman!

How hard has this project been to work on compared to your others?
The ones that are harder are actually the ones that people tend to think are easier. The harder ones are really the human kind of makeup. Like Norbit, which I was nominated for this year [at the Oscars]: I had to turn Eddie Murphy into a believable old Chinese man, which is actually a lot more difficult, because people are more critical of that kind of makeup ? because you see [humans] every day. So you have kind of a frame of reference of what you are looking at. You don't necessarily see werewolves or aliens every day, so you can accept those kinds of things.

Benicio Del Toro looked like the Wolfman long before Rick Baker even got to work his magic.

86tx6jl.jpg

kongisking

Damn my uncles! This looks awesome! You can't go wrong with Mr. Baker, an open fan of the original movie! THUMBS UP!!!

DarthMickey

no talents in Dollywood strike again with not one creative bone in there Fat worthless bodies. How many classics will they remake and destroy! :sick:

eazybox

I am a big fan of all the classic Universal Studios monsters and The Wolf Man is one of my favorites.

No one ever accused Lon Chaney, Jr., the original Wolf Man, of being a great actor, but he was perfect for that role and it will be interesting to see what Del Toro does with it. Anthony Hopkins should be great as Sir John Talbot, originally played by Claude Rains. I hope Maleva, the old gypsy woman will also be in it, but Maria Ouspenskaya gave such a memorable performance in that role that she will be hard to replace.

I'd like to see them redo the original Frankenstein with Rick Baker giving his interpretation on the original, classic makeup created by Jack Pierce-- but who on earth (or any other planet) could they get to fill Karloff's asphalt spreader boots? Anyway, really looking forward to this new Wolf Man!

Jack

The Man

Hawkeye said:
Yeah it's gone already...

Atrocious version of the earlier, fleeting teaser, but still worth a look...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6LsFRh1eKwU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6LsFRh1eKwU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nurhachi1991

Just because Jurassic Park 3 sucked doesn't mean this will I have faith in it and the movie poster looks awesome.

Deckard

Ya but that wasn't my only reasoning, he hasn't done anything good since The Rocketeer in '91.

The cast looks great but read about the budget problems the film suffered, thats never good.

So far I have a re-make, with a director I dislike and budget problems...

Film trailers went from reasonable but corny in the 80s to giving away the whole plot, best scenes, most memorable lines in the 90s, to just absurdly mis-representing the movies of today.

That Entourage episode was a great example where they knew Vince's new movie was garbage but knew they could still hype it with a good trailer.

Last edited: