Timeless Heroes documentary

ShortRound

I was surprised and amused to hear Spielberg compare Indy to Bugs Bunny. That he survives situations unharmed due to luck. He is right but never saw it that way.

I wonder if there are fans who take this stuff way too seriously who are going to hate that though? It’s never been all out comedy but it’s always been part of the fun.

Also loved the Young Indy segment. Mostly on Harrison’s appearance but someone pointed out he clearly approved of the very idea of the series. Speaking of comedy that show had episodes that were full of comedy. Which was very true to the character too. Much of the appeal is seeing Indy thrown into situations he is not prepared for at all.
Oh yeah! And that bit in the doc where he pulls George around like a ragdoll next to him to joke that he did it cause he owed George one and he lived nearby. Never seen older George in that mode.

Harrison likes Indy enough to do a Jimmy Buffet cameo, I bet he loved doing a mini adventure regardless.

FordFan

It was Mangold who made the Bugs Bunny comparison, actually.

The Dial Of Destiny Empire Magazine actually had Mangold quoted making the Bugs Bunny comparison there as well. The best part was that the interviewer later reiterated Mangold's line to Ford, and his response was "No not Bugs Bunny *laughs*. Yeah if I'm Bugs Bunny [Mangold] is Elmer Fudd!"
Not the first time Mangold has made a puzzling summary of Indiana Jones. I remember he said something to the effect, and I'm paraphrasing here.. "At the end of the day, Indy just wants to stay home and read a good book." :confused:

Avilos

Oh yeah! And that bit in the doc where he pulls George around like a ragdoll next to him to joke that he did it cause he owed George one and he lived nearby. Never seen older George in that mode.

Harrison likes Indy enough to do a Jimmy Buffet cameo, I bet he loved doing a mini adventure regardless.
I often wonder if George ever considered asking Harrison to appear on Young Indy again. The ideal time would have been for the tv movies on Family Channel. Obvious choice is Peacock’s Eye. But given his real life passion for planes Attack of the Hawkmen too. In my personal head cannon during WWII Indy finally got some real Pilot training.

Who knows. My suspicion is George saw his appearance as a one time deal. But I suspect if it fit into his schedule with little commitment of time he would have said yes. I truly think that would apply to anything with an adult Short Round too. If nothing else as a favor to Ke Huy Quan.

Face_Melt

I often wonder if George ever considered asking Harrison to appear on Young Indy again. The ideal time would have been for the tv movies on Family Channel. Obvious choice is Peacock’s Eye. But given his real life passion for planes Attack of the Hawkmen too. In my personal head cannon during WWII Indy finally got some real Pilot training.

Who knows. My suspicion is George saw his appearance as a one time deal. But I suspect if it fit into his schedule with little commitment of time he would have said yes. I truly think that would apply to anything with an adult Short Round too. If nothing else as a favor to Ke Huy Quan.
Ford was asked to appear to see if the ratings would improve. They didn’t. Or at least not enough to keep the show going.

British Raider

A lot of directors make reference in interviews to Looney Tunes because the genre they are playing in with the heightened over the top action is heavily influenced by it, including the works of Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd. Only need to look at Mad Max Fury Road and John Wick. Interviews are not always to be taken so literally, and often what they said gets completely taken out of context. Need look no further than that Trevorrow quote about the dinosaur being like Joker from Dark Knight. What he’d actually said was about the paint job but it blew up on the internet. Can’t trust half the stuff that gets written. Also irony and humour gets lost in translation.

ShortRound

Yeah, probably a one off. If anything Harrison was pushing for a fourth film in the 90s even in his AFI speech to George so Harrison would probably just have defaulted to "why not a movie?"

I think the one that would make the most sense in terms of the cancelled episodes would have been the one where he would meet Belloq once again.

Face_Melt

Did anybody else notice that the scenes shown in the documentary from Young Indiana Jones seem to be HD remastered?

Still holding out hope for a full remaster of the series eventually. I hope this is a sign. Could be wishful thinking though…

Randy_Flagg

I think the one that would make the most sense in terms of the cancelled episodes would have been the one where he would meet Belloq once again.
I used to want the Belloq episode, but considering how much Indy in the show did not seem like the "real" Indy, I'm afraid Belloq might also have been too different from the guy we knew in Raiders.
Also, sometimes the less we know about the villains, the better. I don't really need to know that Belloq used to be a very honorable man until his mother got cancer and his death in Raiders is then retconned into the tragic death of a misunderstood man who's lifelong dream was to cure cancer (I'm just making that up, of course, but you get my point.)

Grizzlor

Did anybody else notice that the scenes shown in the documentary from Young Indiana Jones seem to be HD remastered?

Still holding out hope for a full remaster of the series eventually. I hope this is a sign. Could be wishful thinking though…
Not surprised, I'm sure they processed all of the "old" footage through their AI to upscale.

FordFan

Yeah, probably a one off. If anything Harrison was pushing for a fourth film in the 90s even in his AFI speech to George so Harrison would probably just have defaulted to "why not a movie?"
It sounds like they all used making Indy 4 as an excuse to meet for lunch. Until that AFI special, which is when they got serious about it. I wish they'd gotten on the ball earlier. A fourth Indy movie in the mid to late 90s with Connery would have been all we needed to wrap up the series.

Randy_Flagg

A fourth Indy movie in the mid to late 90s with Connery would have been all we needed to wrap up the series.
I liked Connery in LC, but I'm not sure I would have wanted him back in another film. The father/son arc was resolved in LC, and bringing him back would have just been a way to throw in more of the same humor, except that the humor wouldn't really work as well since they supposedly found a new level of respect for each other after LC. What made it funny in LC was how they were always at odds with each other.

ShortRound

I liked Connery in LC, but I'm not sure I would have wanted him back in another film. The father/son arc was resolved in LC, and bringing him back would have just been a way to throw in more of the same humor, except that the humor wouldn't really work as well since they supposedly found a new level of respect for each other after LC. What made it funny in LC was how they were always at odds with each other.
This actually makes me wonder what Sr. in KOTCS would have been like. Connery was asked to return but I can't imagine if that would have been Stanforth's scenes or something else.

Sr and Marion banter would have been fun.

FordFan

I don't think they'd need him on the adventure necessarily, but not even a cameo if this came out in the 90s? Fans would riot in the streets.

He might be redundant, but come to think of it... anything after LC was bound to be redundant. Even if they had a film with Indy set during WWII like at the beginning of DOD, they ended the trilogy perfectly.

Udvarnoky

This actually makes me wonder what Sr. in KOTCS would have been like. Connery was asked to return but I can't imagine if that would have been Stanforth's scenes or something else.
I think Stanforth was always in the script as Brody's stand-in for the university scene, and it was the scene at Indy's house where he substituted for the would-be Henry Sr. cameo. We don't have the earlier version of Koepp's script that would let us know how it played out exactly, but I bet it was pretty close and just a matter of delivering the same thematic notes from a different character's mouth.

Avilos

I doubt it. Nobody was upset about Sallah or Marcus not being in Temple of Doom, nor Short Round not being in Last Crusade.
I have seen some comments that the 4th and 5th movies feel like need or unneeded, depending on opinions, extras unconnected to the classic trilogy. Which I find ironic because for many years a lot of fans felt that way about Temple of Doom. Some still do!

Crystal Skull and Dial of Destiny brought a balance to the whole series. It was essential that most of Indy’s companions appeared in only one. Connery one did one cameo that I recall. King Richard at the end of Prince of Thieves. Outside of James Bond he only did one sequel. Highlander 2!
He was probably never going to play Henry Sr again. It makes the Last Crusade more special.

Honestly most of the Indiana Jones comics and novels never impressed me. Largely rehashes of the movies. That we got 5 movies that are unmistakably unique to themselves is remarkable. Whether plot, macguffin or supporting cast.

Avilos

I think the worst thing that could have happened to become similar to the later Lethal Weapon sequels “The Gang Is All Back!” With Joe Pesci showing up for no other reason than to put him on the poster and trailers. Many other examples of that first that springs to mind. Characters returning to repeat their line that you loved the first time.