Toht's Robotic Arm

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Quick search result: Finger Gun, a two shot .22 caliber gun disguised inside a phony finger
Was that shown in the 1st season of "Get Smart!"? There was a 1965 toy called "Sixfinger" (by Topper Toys), A fake finger that shoots fragmentation bombs!

Stoo said:
Was that shown in the 1st season of "Get Smart!"? There was a 1965 toy called "Sixfinger" (by Topper Toys), A fake finger that shoots fragmentation bombs!

Cool!

I couldn't tell you which season, but it's always stuck with me as so absurd, even for Get Smart. That he wasn't bluffing and it worked was pretty funny especially with the way he would explain things.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
TohtEye.jpg

Here's a closer look on the eye. This is the Ron Cobb illustration cropped a bit with the eye portion enlarged.
It' reminiscent of this Portuguese book cover, where young Indy uses his bionic eye to reveal Lenin's cybernetic skull... :)
yijc6p.jpg

Henry W Jones

Personally I'm glad heh abandoned this idea. It would have made the movie less believable and Toht is already a bad ass without it.

Henry W Jones said:
Personally I'm glad heh abandoned this idea. It would have made the movie less believable and Toht is already a bad ass without it.

Thank all that's holy they abandoned EVERYTHING they did.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
RaidersBlog.jpg

William Stout drew the above image, others were by Ron Cobb. Stout writes about how Cobb was preparing to direct Night Skies / E.T., until Spielberg offered him $10,000 and a point in the film to walk away. That point worked out to around $10 million.

The Lone Raider

In the junior novel Indiana Jones and the Mystery of Mount Sinai, the author reuses these scrapped ideas for the main villain, whose name is Mephisto (which I believe was Toht's original name), a Nazi with an electrically-charged mechanical arm.

I liked the book as a kid, because it was a new Indy adventure taking place in the 1940s that was released at the time of Skull. However, after rereading it as an adult, it kinda sucks. It's a direct sequel to Indiana Jones and the Pyramid of the Sorcerer, which, while also not great, was enjoyable enough. Sinai completely changed the personality of the female lead from Sorcerer, for one, which was very annoying to read. The story itself also just wasn't very engaging.

And if you didn't like the aliens in Skull, you won't like the extraterrestrial origins of the MacGuffin in Sinai.

From what I remember, anyways...