Top Gun: Maverick

Yure

Top Gun: Maverick is a really well executed product that also made me feel better about Indy 5.

The whole movie plays with rhymes from the original Top Gun and yet, those rhymes are not just merely fan service or lack of creativity. Instead, they mostly serve the story and its progression. The story has its dignity, and besides not being the most original or believable, it flows fluently and with the right tension and release moments. Think of it as a The Force Awakens approach, but with more freedom in a less milked universe, and less flaws (and I also liked TFA, for the records).

Visually is no less than impressive, as one could expect. The hero is pictured as who he is: the best of the best, but with the years behind him clearly visible. Despite Cruise being Cruise, he's not Cruise-r than what is needed to bring the action too much beyond the edge of the believable (with a couple of excusable exceptions).

They paid respect to the original Top Gun, to Tony Scott, to the fans. They approached the contemporary culture with no obsession of boasting how progressive they have become and how they are necessarily (forcibly) in tune and in sync with the younger generations.

Sometimes it fails in suspending the disbelief, something it steps too much into comedy territory, but t's entertaining, well executed, and in my opinion worthy of a solid 7.5.

Billy Ray

I agree with the above. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. It hits all the right marks without being a clone of the first film. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Cruise. IMO, he is best when playing a "Tom Cruise" like character and is therefore perfect for this role and he doesn't disappoint. I also agree about having to suspend your disbelief at some points but, after serving 21 years in the military myself, that is true of most movies about the military. Even "The Hurt Locker" had me rolling my eyes at a few points. Still, it was a great ride that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Some may know me, some not. Been here longer than Forrestal hung on the spikes in Peru. Very Simply, I'm taking the wifey to this one tomorrow, (as it's our 1 year anniversary). Nothing says romance more than F-14s and jet fuel, amiright?!?!

Film commentary to follow.

British Raider

I still can’t believe how well this movie has held on. It’s performing like a hit would in the 80s. And there were people thinking cinema was done for…

Pale Horse

Staff member
Just noticed something about this film, (that just passed Avengers: Infinity War in revenue) and it's football scene on the beach.

Does anyone else see a copyright violation here? Took me some time to hear it and I didn't find another correlation on the net, yet. Heaven forbid I'm the first.

"
"

And from the film....

"
"

I should remix them, make a ka-jillion. Nah, don't have the time.