Total Film magazine May 2023 #337

Z dweller

Ford is definitely done after this, let's hope he goes out on a real high.

Disney will most likely recast the role at some point.
I look forward to it, and hope they go for standalone adventures set just before ToD in the timeline.

Randy_Flagg

Ford is definitely done after this, let's hope he goes out on a real high.

Disney will most likely recast the role at some point.
I look forward to it, and hope they go for standalone adventures set just before ToD in the timeline.
I wouldn't mind them trying it, but the backlash would be awful. It wouldn't be a fun time to be an Indy fan, with the nonstop rants about the recasting, no matter who they cast.

Also, realistically, how many variations could they possibly do on the premise of "Indy must prevent bad guys from using powerful ancient relic" before it just gets old?
So maybe it's best to stop with five films. It's two more films than I'd thought we'd get, anyway.

TheLastCrusader

Ugh, I wish he'd stop saying Indy is thirty-five years old here...he's either forty-four or forty-five in this opening sequence, depending on the time of year that it takes place (i.e., before or after July 1st). That the VFX may make Ford look more like he did in the early 80s as opposed to the 90s is acceptable enough. Not a big deal if he looks slightly younger than he should for taking place in 1944. That the effects are able to approximate that relative age span for him at all is astounding. I just hope that the continuity itself isn't goofed up. I'm not expecting Mangold to be aware of the exact dates like I have included below, but...he does know that Indy was born on July 1st, 1899, and that the first three films took place in the 30s, not the 40s, right...?

In case you're wondering, to be specific, according to "The Diaries of Indiana Jones," Indy is thirteen in Crusade's prologue (August 1912), thirty-five in Temple (June 1935), thirty-seven in Raiders (September through October 1936), thirty-eight in Crusade (June 1938), and fifty-eight in Skull (August through October 1957). The 1969 Apollo 11 Ticker Tape Parade occurred in August of 1969, which means that Indy is seventy years old for the bulk of Destiny.

Has it been 100% confirmed the opening takes place in 1944? If so, they could still jump in time from 1935 to 1944 within the opening alone.

Giddy

There is zero chance that they have went to all this trouble only to accidentally give us Raiders age Indy when it should be post-Last Crusade Indy.

Randy_Flagg will be right, it’ll be an amalgam of all of Lucasfilm’s archive footage, to make the best possible “young” Indy per shot. We know they were referring LC Indy’s hair from Ricthers Indy posts, so I’m confident they’ll nail this. In fact, the first trailer assured me as soon as they did the bag reveal: that IS the right ages Indy.

Later trailers, there are shots where he reacts and it reminds me of the Raiders/Temple age Indy (thinking of the exploding gun reaction on the train & the exiting the train carriage shots) but I think that’s less to do with the age and more to do with the fact that there are similar shots/reactions in those films.

fedoraboy

I think the point is that Ford will look like he did in the original films - I don't think they're going to try and make him look 6 years older than he did in LC (this would be Clear & Present Danger era Ford) - they'll be giving us him sort of how he was in the original trilogy, and I don't have an issue with this at all.

Ford's age has always been a bit up and down compared to Indy's - 38 playing a 37 year old (Raiders), then 41 playing 36 (Doom), then 46 playing 38 (Crusade). So, actually, if we average out the Ford shots from the previous 3 movies they'll be using as reference, we'll probably see a 40-ish year old Ford playing a 45 year old Indy. No biggy. (y)

IndyForever

If DOD makes a bunch of money, and if Kathleen Kennedy said to Ford would you do a deaged film.. perhaps 30 mins old Indy and 90 minutes old Indy.. I reckon Ford would / could have some interest.

It will be interesting to hear what Ford says when pressed in press junkets about maybe coming back and doing more.
I could easily see that happening if Indy 5 is a $1.5bn plus movie they will ask Ford to return again for less screentime more digital Indy & less work for Harrison!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Retitled the thread, this issue can have it's own discussion. If anyone has scans from 15 years ago they can share here.

MrEdcar007

The best way we can have Harrison Ford as Indy is through video games.
No need to worry about the CGI being good or anything like that.
Take a good scan of Ford's face in his mid to late 30s, take a good voice actor that can sound like Ford and you are all set.

The cancelled version of Staff of Kings was going to have a great Indy model, this leaked cutscene was very impressive for it's time!
I wonder who voiced him though, it doesn't sound like John Armstrong.

Either way, I don't think it's very realistic to expect Ford be Indy again in a movie.

Jonesy9906753

The best way we can have Harrison Ford as Indy is through video games.
No need to worry about the CGI being good or anything like that.
Take a good scan of Ford's face in his mid to late 30s, take a good voice actor that can sound like Ford and you are all set.

The cancelled version of Staff of Kings was going to have a great Indy model, this leaked cutscene was very impressive for it's time!
I wonder who voiced him though, it doesn't sound like John Armstrong.

Either way, I don't think it's very realistic to expect Ford be Indy again in a movie.
John Armstrong’s great at it. Don’t know if he’s doing voice work any longer as his last contribution was 2017.

Ingruber may be a worthy VO replacement, he’s done video game voice work prior.

ShortRound

I guess it makes sense to have a thread covering these, as we'll see an increasing amount from here on in.

Here's Total Film's next covers:

FuPzlQtXgAEBlK7

FuPzlQ2WYAEm99N
Wonder what that thing is under Indy's hat and the inspiration for the skull in the glass globe?

Z dweller

I wouldn't mind them trying it, but the backlash would be awful. It wouldn't be a fun time to be an Indy fan, with the nonstop rants about the recasting, no matter who they cast.
Not really.
Young audiences have no emotional attachment to Ford as Indy.
If the new material is well written and fun to watch, they'll go for it.
Also, realistically, how many variations could they possibly do on the premise of "Indy must prevent bad guys from using powerful ancient relic" before it just gets old?
Doesn't stop them from rolling out a million superhero rinse/repeat stories, and people go watch them.

Randy_Flagg

Not really.
Young audiences have no emotional attachment to Ford as Indy.
If the new material is well written and fun to watch, they'll go for it.
Young audiences, sure. But I'm talking about about middle-aged guys who currently rant obsessively about everything they don't like in SW. They will be equally insufferable with Indy if the role is recast. They're the ones already making videos about how DOD will be awful because of Kathleen Kennedy or whatever. I think the backlash to recasting would be even worse.
Doesn't stop them from rolling out a million superhero rinse/repeat stories, and people go watch them.
Sure, they COULD do it, but would that be a good thing? And the advantage the superhero movies have is that there are at least different heroes, so there's some variety in that, and Marvel occasionally tried experimenting with different genres. Indy would always just be Indy, doing what Indy does. There's not a ton of mileage they can get out of that. How many interesting/powerful artifacts are out there that would be different enough from each other to make them worthwhile? How many villains can there be? Marvel can just make up random stuff to keep it going, but Indy movies have always been tied to the real world.

Like I said, I wouldn't be opposed to them trying it, but I'm just skeptical about how well it could work.
Anyway, this is kind of digressing from the magazine topic. Sorry.

The Lone Raider

I think the point is that Ford will look like he did in the original films - I don't think they're going to try and make him look 6 years older than he did in LC (this would be Clear & Present Danger era Ford) - they'll be giving us him sort of how he was in the original trilogy, and I don't have an issue with this at all.

Ford's age has always been a bit up and down compared to Indy's - 38 playing a 37 year old (Raiders), then 41 playing 36 (Doom), then 46 playing 38 (Crusade). So, actually, if we average out the Ford shots from the previous 3 movies they'll be using as reference, we'll probably see a 40-ish year old Ford playing a 45 year old Indy. No biggy. (y)
Not to mention 65 playing 58 and 79 playing 70.

Again, I'm just worried about the continuity. Indy the character is not thirty-five in 1944, and I really hope they don't mess that up. I'm hoping Mangold is just being lazy in his explanations for the sake of getting through the interview.

FordFan

Yeah, I'm pretty sure "35 years old" is just being said in a very general sense, simply meaning a younger guy. It's very possible that some of the archival footage they used for the de-aging was in fact from when Harrison was about 35 years old, and maybe that's why Mangold references that age in particular, even though Indy would actually be in his 40s.
I don’t think a single member of the crew, including Harrison Ford, knows the character of Indiana Jones was born in 1899.

Randy_Flagg

I don’t think a single member of the crew, including Harrison Ford, knows the character of Indiana Jones was born in 1899.
I remember a talk show appearance where Harrison didn’t even know Indy’s real first name, so yeah, I think you’re right.

ShortRound

I remember a talk show appearance where Harrison didn’t even know Indy’s real first name, so yeah, I think you’re right.
Well, Harrison said the full name in LC, and Henry is the way Marion figured out he learned that Mutt was his son, so it might just be that he is older or momentarily forgot.

I remember an older documentary where Harrison in an interview acknowledges the difference in age between him being older and in his forties in real life while playing a younger version of Indy in Temple and he gave ages.

At this point though, with how tightly controlled things are, I'm sure someone on set did know Indy's age and assorted details. Just like KOTCS or even Star Wars, lots of the people working behind the scenes or on set lived through the expanded material or were fans. So no, not everyone is nuts about all the details, but I wouldn't underestimate it too much.

That said, I think people tend to benchmark Indy at his prime at around 35 because that was his age in Raiders. also, tv and movies have had a fascination with making their hero characters in their mid-30s in the past- not too old, but not young.