Tough Sergeant Prototype?

MaxPhactor23

Kooshmeister said:
The more I look at the figure, the more it looks like Bob Peck as Muldoon from the old Jurassic Park line by Kenner....

That's so funny you should say that! I've always thought the two actors looked so much alike, but even stranger...they both look very much like my mothers boyfriend too. Hah!

Lance Quazar

Well, you can all judge for yourselves with these pics!

Proto1.jpg

Proto2.jpg

Proto3.jpg

Proto5.jpg

Proto6.jpg

Proto7.jpg

Proto8.jpg

Bantha5

Well, Lance sent me the figure to make molds and it's the real deal. I still wonder where Hasbro was going to offer this (Maybe as a pack-in for the second release of the cargo truck?)
After making a couple casts I made my own version of the Tough Sergeant. Never liked the arms of the German soldiers and in the movie this guy has rolled-up sleeves, So I used the arms of RPG Indy. I moved one of his ammo belts around to the front and hollowed out his cap (It fits too!). I think it turned out well and Hasbro lost a good opportunity with not releasing him.
132-3238_IMG_2.jpg

Anyway, Thanks to Lance, a limited number of casts are available. If interested e-mail me at ryan@midishaw.com Please put tough sergeant in the title.
132-3240_IMG.jpg

inky_skin

Another beautiful piece from Ryan (Bantha5). As I attested to in the "Monkey Brains" thread, his sculpting, casting and paint apps are second to none. Support this talented customiser by buying his work !

Ryan - I've a very similar custom currently waiting for paint. The only difference is that I removed the skirt piece from the figure / added a holster to reflect his onscreen appearance. Losing the skirt necessitated swapping out the crotch piece to give wider hips, but I think he still looks ok.

Additionally, many thanks to Lance for making the piece available for casting.

Kevin

inky_skin said:
Another beautiful piece from Ryan (Bantha5). As I attested to in the "Monkey Brains" thread, his sculpting, casting and paint apps are second to none. Support this talented customiser by buying his work !

Ryan - I've a very similar custom currently waiting for paint. The only difference is that I removed the skirt piece from the figure / added a holster to reflect his onscreen appearance. Losing the skirt necessitated swapping out the crotch piece to give wider hips, but I think he still looks ok.

Additionally, many thanks to Lance for making the piece available for casting.

Again, I will echo inky's praise of this head, it is really cool!

Inky, what crotch did you use for yours? I just modded the ammo packs on mine, but I guess to be technically SA he should have a tucked in shirt. I also need to paint the neck.

Also, for your concept art Indy, how did you replace the whipping action arm with the basic jacketed arm? Was it very hard to get the jacket over that torso?

inky_skin

Kevin said:
Again, I will echo inky's praise of this head, it is really cool!

Inky, what crotch did you use for yours? I just modded the ammo packs on mine, but I guess to be technically SA he should have a tucked in shirt. I also need to paint the neck.

Also, for your concept art Indy, how did you replace the whipping action arm with the basic jacketed arm? Was it very hard to get the jacket over that torso?

I actually used an Indy crotch piece from which I removed the belt detail. The problem with retaining the German Solider crotch is that the waist lacks width once you've removed the skirt.

For the concept Indy, I had to sand the back of the torso and the shoulders with a Dremel to slim them down sufficiently to get the jacket around them. The Cairo Indy torso is huge in comparison to the RPG / jacketed Indy versions. Replacing the arms involved drilling out the sockets and remodelling them with GreenStuff (kinda like sculpy) - not perfect, but good enough for me.

tnswman

Well.....Just like countless un-produced toys in the past..The recasting process has made this VERY rare prototype WORTHLESS now!!

LOL!! Way to screw yourself!!

Just like the old Un-produced SW and Clash of the Titans toys that were re-cast, the original has now no real value at all since ANYONE can have a re-cast.

Pretty silly..Of course, this is why nobody is going to re-cast my Raiders wave 2 figures.

inky_skin

So you didn't get one then ?

Not everyone is in the collecting hobby for the money, some people just enjoy sharing the fun.

That's all that Lance is doing. I'm sure you derive great enjoyment from your investment. Just don't knock others when they take a different approach.

Bantha5

tnswman said:
Well.....Just like countless un-produced toys in the past..The recasting process has made this VERY rare prototype WORTHLESS now!!

LOL!! Way to screw yourself!!

Just like the old Un-produced SW and Clash of the Titans toys that were re-cast, the original has now no real value at all since ANYONE can have a re-cast.

Pretty silly..Of course, this is why nobody is going to re-cast my Raiders wave 2 figures.

Wow, That's a pretty elitist take on collecting. Not everyone is into collecting to lord over what others don't have and what you covet.
Lance did this so others could have a chance at filling a hole in there collections, A "what might have been" kind of figure.
Your analogy to unproduced SW (don't know what COTT figures your talking about) figures is not accurate. There are plenty of re-casts of 2nd series Droids figures out there and from what I have seen, there has been no negative effect on genuine prototypes (Now if you want to prove me wrong and sell me a Vlix for $40 be my guest)
Also keep in mind, These are modern toys. Hasbro has already gone to the great expense of tooling the wave 2 raiders figures. Once they have gone to that expense, They will find a way to get them to us. Then how much will they be worth? (Anyone remember when Lott Dodd, Sabe and Shmi Skywalker were unproduced figures? Now how much are they worth?)
In the end they are your figures to do with what you want. Just don't criticize others for sharing in the true spirit of the hobby. Ryan

KneelBeforeZod

tnswman said:

That depends on how you measure value. If you measure it in cash, things are only worth what you can sell them for. Buy low, sell high, etc. If you're looking for investments -- there are better places to put your money than action figures. If you had bought a Dow index fund a few months ago, you could've made 30% by now. Real estate is down -- a perfect buy low opportunity ("Land, its the only thing they're not making any more of." -- Lex Luthor).

I am a hardcore capitalist, so I do not begrudge a man the fruits of his labor. Prosperity breeds prosperity. They're yours, enjoy. People have no right whatsoever to make demands of your property. Do with them what you will. Let freedom ring.

However, I also will not begrudge a man the fruits of his charity. Voluntary charity can also breed prosperity (though typically of another variety). Perhaps he values the item apart from its cash-in value. Maybe he isn't selling, so doesn't care how much cash he could theoretically get if he were selling. Maybe he invests elsewhere, and buys action figures (even prototypes) to photograph them hanging off the front of a truck. Maybe he figures they're going to eventually make the figure, and the monetized value of the prototype will eventually plummet.

Again, no one has any right to make demands of the property of another. He decided he could derive more value from giving than he could from keeping it to himself. You decided that the value of your prototypes are derived from their rarity, so you choose to keep them. Let freedom ring.

Mocking those who give willingly is rarely a worthwhile endeavor. You've made your choice, he's made his. What difference does it make to you?

KBZ

Billy Ray

Wow, well said KBZ! I can see both sides' arguments, and therefore haven't posted on the topic here or in the other thread, but I really couldn't have said it any better than you.

Goonie

Bantha5 said:
Well, Lance sent me the figure to make molds and it's the real deal. I still wonder where Hasbro was going to offer this (Maybe as a pack-in for the second release of the cargo truck?)

I'm wondering too what wave this fig was supposed to be apart of.:confused:

And KBZ, well said. And to summarize when you posted, simply put; it's whatever floats your boat.:hat:

Here's still hoping for Indy V, and more toys!