Trading Places - "Temple of Doom" and the Bantam Novels

WeAreGoingToDie

A little over a year ago I began reading the Bantam novels, with the intention of reading from "Peril at Delphi" to "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" (I am currently a quarter of the way through KotCS). Looking back on what I've read, I found that the Bantam novels flowed quite well. MacGregor's books congealed nicely, Caidin was a speed bump that was quickly remedied by the solid McCoy quadrilogy.

As I reached the end of "Secret of the Sphinx", I was both sad to leave Bantam and excited to reach the film novelizations. Surprisingly, as "Secret of the Sphinx" ended, I was treated to a hint of what was to come in "Temple of Doom". This, combined with Lao Che and Wu Han's introductions in "Dinosaur Eggs", made "Temple of Doom" feel like the thirteenth Bantam novel. As "Temple of Doom" could have been just as much a Bantam novel as it could be a film, which of the original twelve Bantam novels would you want to see as a film? Effectively swapping Temple with a Bantam story.

I myself would narrow it down to "Genesis Deluge" or "Dinosaur Eggs", probably choosing to former for the spectacle of that other Ark. ;)

bennihana123

Having read only 'Genesis Deluge', 'Hollow Earth', and 'Philosopher's Stone', I would go with 'Philosopher's Stone'. It just seemed the most Indy-like to me. Genesis Deluge had like 30 seconds worth of action.

My vote is for Philosopher's Stone.

Man, I loved that book. It was the first that truly felt epic in a motion picture sort of way.

The only scene I would change is the hot air balloon sequence where Indy inexplicably used his whip to hitch a ride.

Goonie

I can't say just yet as I'm in the last third of the "speed bump" Sky Pirates. It's not that bad of a novel, it just feels more like Sky Captain rather than Indy. I want to read all the books, followed by the movie novelizations. Even though I already read Raiders and KOTCS, I'll re-read these again. I'm hoping that it works out that when Army of the Dead comes out, I can read that before reading KOTCS again.

WeAreGoingToDie

I agree, Philosopher's Stone (not the Harry Potter one) would make a great film. A nice segway from Young Indy to the films.

I read half of Sky Pirates and then had to tap out. The whole time I pictured a mish-mash of James Bond and Jude Law as Sky Captain. And wasn't Indy sort of a dick?