True Grit 2010

TheMutt92

The Man said:
Kindly elaborate, 92: I haven't seen the latter part of T.M.W.W.T. How does it morph into quasi-sci-fi? Is Tony Shaloub an alien? Does Billy Bob endure a rectal probe in the back of the barber shop?

Not exactly. Its hard to describe, so I'm just pulling this description/explanation from wiki...

While waiting on death row, he dreams of walking out to the prison courtyard and seeing a flying saucer, to which he reacts with a simple nod.

The film contains several mentions of UFOs throughout, in dreams and in conversation, as well as in various props, including an ashtray.

The Man

TheMutt92 said:
Not exactly. Its hard to describe, so I'm just pulling this description/explanation from wiki...

While waiting on death row, he dreams of walking out to the prison courtyard and seeing a flying saucer, to which he reacts with a simple nod.

The film contains several mentions of UFOs throughout, in dreams and in conversation, as well as in various props, including an ashtray.

Intriguing. There did seem to be an otherworldly aura to Thornton's character. Must. Watch. Fully.

Nurhachi1991

Dig Site 1138 said:
Cohen Bros sold out the tickets to several shows, perhaps. In what way do you feel the "sold out" by making a new film of True Grit?

Because there movies are usually more edgy and rated R... this was a kids movie

TheMutt92

Nurhachi1991 said:

O Brother Where Art Thou?, Raising Arizona, and The Hudsucker Proxy are all Coen Brothers films that aren't edgy or rated R. And what did you expect? The book and original film aren't that edgy or suggest anything that could translate to an R-rated version. The point of view is that of a 13 year old girl, so to make it something young girls couldn't see would be a little odd, a view I'm pretty sure the Coens intended from the start.

But despite even the PG-13 and point of view, the film is still pretty intense. While a lot of the more edgy violence is cut off or hidden, its still there and you get the full effect.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Nurhachi1991 said:

And what's so terrible about that? If you're so into the Coen Brothers, wouldn't you want them to have a film that a broader audience could enjoy? Or is it really just the R rating that does it for you?

I saw it last night, and thought it was a fine film. The characters were well drawn by both the Coens and their actors, with Steinfeld in particular being quite impressive. The dialogue - pretty heavily derived from the novel, apparently, although the attention given it on film is certainly of a piece with the Coens' earlier work - is superb, and any complaints about its lack of profanity is missing the point, particularly with regards to the on point Protestant drive of Mattie Ross.

I will confess that what I do not immediately see - with the exception of the love of language and the colorful characters - what attracted the Coens to the project. But then I've never had a full grasp of what exactly they are up to in their work, other than what is often described as an ironic approach to their characters. Of course, the charge of irony may not be quite right, but they are pretty consistently bleak in their approach to the world, and <I>that</I> is certainly true of this film, in which it might be said that Mattie's own bleak, even misanthropic, sensibility, is about as close to the Coens as one might get.

TheMutt92

An early Hailee Steinfeld role...

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wgCwPcWkaUo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wgCwPcWkaUo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

TheMutt92

DVD/Blu-Ray release date (and bonus features) announced:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75090

"A great film that will stand the test of time" (Film.com), Academy Award®-winning directors Joel and Ethan Coen's (No Country For Old Men) "vastly entertaining" (Rolling Stone) and epic tale of frontier justice TRUE GRIT debuts in a Blu-ray™/DVD Combo Pack with Digital Copy and on standard DVD June 7, 2011 from Paramount Home Entertainment. The gritty and memorable film has been embraced by audiences and critics alike, earning over $165 million at the U.S. box office, nominated for 10 Academy Awards and named by more than 75 reviewers as one of the top 10 films of the year. Jeff Bridges stars as Rooster Cogburn, an irascible U.S. Marshal hired by a 14-year-old girl (newcomer Hailee Steinfeld) to bring her father's killer (Josh Brolin) to justice. Matt Damon is an overzealous Texas Ranger who is also tracking the killer, hoping to capture him and bring him to trial for another murder."

TRUE GRIT Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack & Standard DVD

The TRUE GRIT Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The DVD in the Combo Pack is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with English 5.1 Surround and English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.

The Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack contents are as follows:

Blu-ray:

- Mattie's True Grit
- From Bustles to Buckskin—Dressing for the 1880s
- Colts, Winchesters & Remingtons: The Guns of a Post-Civil War Western
- Re-Creating Fort Smith
- The Cast
- Charles Portis—The Greatest Writer You've Never Heard Of...
- The Cinematography of True Grit
- Theatrical Trailer

DVD:

- Feature Film
- Digital Copy

The standard DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description with French, English and Spanish subtitles.

The single disc DVD includes the following:

- Hailee's True Grit
- From Bustles to Buckskin—Dressing for the 1880s
- Re-Creating Fort Smith
- The Cast

TheMutt92

Two weeks till the blu-ray release (this is a day one purchase for me):

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/True-Grit-Blu-ray/19797/#Review

4321_1_large.jpg

How often does a movie of this caliber come along? Rarely for sure. Joel and Ethan Coen's (No Country For Old Men) masterpiece Western True Grit defies all cinematic logic, for not only is this remake superior to the original John Wayne picture of the same name, it also bests the source novel written by Charles Portis, bettering it in pacing and purpose. Indeed, True Grit stands tall as a picture that's both layered and superficially excellent; the story is one of camaraderie, courage, humanity, humility, honesty, and assertiveness, while the film itself is crafted to the highest standards that shame all but the most superior of pictures with its classic no-nonsense profile that places story first but supports it with quintessential filmmaking techniques, namely unflinchingly flawless direction, cinematography, music, and acting.

Montana Smith

Finally got around to watching this. With my normal dislike of the Coen Brothers' films I didn't know what to expect.

Yet, right from the start I was hooked. Hailee Steinfeld's performance was incredible, and Bridges, from some angles, was reminsicent of John Wayne.

I presume this version followed Charles Portis' book closer than the original, and in that the ending was suited to the Coens' usual bleak outlook. Unlike the 1969 version, this one was really unforgiving.

Montana Smith said:
Finally got around to watching this. With my normal dislike of the Coen Brothers' films I didn't know what to expect.

Yet, right from the start I was hooked. Hailee Steinfeld's performance was incredible, and Bridges, from some angles, was reminsicent of John Wayne.

I presume this version followed Charles Portis' book closer than the original, and in that the ending was suited to the Coens' usual bleak outlook. Unlike the 1969 version, this one was really unforgiving.

I agree 100%. Great film all around.

phantom train

Saw the 2010 version of True Grit this recently (for the first time) and really enjoyed this. I found it superior to the original late '60's film with John Wayne; but, I will also admit I'm a big fan of modern westerns, as well as being a huge Coen Bros. fan, so I'm probably biased.

IMHO, the ending of this version was very moving and poignant, i.e. with the older Mattie trying to find Rooster Coogburn & her later visit to his grave. As far as I know, this was not in the John Wayne version - though, it's been years since I saw that earlier film, so I may be mis-remembering this.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

I haven't read Portis' novel, but here is a section from Wikipedia which describes the differences between the book and the 1969 film:

Unlike the book, the movie doesn’t introduce Mattie as an old woman telling a story of her childhood, but instead begins and ends in late 1880, when Mattie is 14. In the book, Mattie remains the central character throughout; in the movie Rooster Cogburn gets an equal share of the limelight. The film also downplays the novel's biblical tone and adds a hint of romance between Mattie and La Boeuf. La Boeuf also does not die in the novel, but survives his head injury. Another significant difference from Portis' tale is that Mattie has her arm amputated as a result of the rattlesnake attack, in contrast to the final scene in the film where Kim Darby is seen with only a sling on her arm—indicating that she is recovering from the snake bites and intact physically. The novel's conclusion makes the reader aware that the story has been recounted by Mattie as an elderly, one-armed woman who never married.

In the book, Tom Chaney was a young man; Mattie guessed his age to be around 25. Jeff Corey, who played Chaney in the movie, was 55 at the time. In the movie, La Boeuf claims to have a girl in Texas who would "look with favor" on his capture of Tom Chaney. In the book, La Boeuf made no mention of a girlfriend; his motive for capturing Chaney was purely financial.

In the book, Rooster Cogburn had a mustache and did not wear an eye patch, though he had only one eye. In his fight with Ned Pepper, he wielded two Navy six-shooters. In the movie, Wayne carried a six-shooter in his left hand and his trademark large-loop rifle in the other. The character of Rooster was supposed to be around 40 in the novel; in the film, he was played by 61-year-old Wayne.

In the book, Mattie has her arm amputated due to the snakebite and break. Rooster pays her a visit while she is recovering from the procedure but is too sedated to remember. She tries to meet him 25 years later while he is traveling in a wild west show but he passes away a few days before they can meet. She has his remains exhumed and reinterred in her family plot.

Also, the film's Colorado location and mountain scenery are in sharp contrast to the script's references to place names in Arkansas and Oklahoma. Further, the film is set in autumn, while the book clearly sets the story in winter, with snow on the ground outside the dugout where Quincy and Moon awaited Pepper's gang. In the book, when Mattie falls into the snake pit she faces a ball of snakes and disturbs them in their winter quarters. In the film Mattie faces a single rattlesnake.

From those references it's evident that the 2010 version is closer to the novel, except for some of the iconic 1969 John Wayne imagery: his more advanced age and his eyepatch.