Truths about "Indy 4"

LostArk

Frank Marschall on indianajones.com:

"It's better than you expect! It's going to be fantastic!!!"

sarah navarro

It definitly wasnt fantastic the first time i was it but yah i did think it was great.Not everything i hoped for and yes it was very corny but all in all it was just another Indy film to me:)

No Ticket

sarah navarro said:
It definitly wasnt fantastic the first time i was it but yah i did think it was great.Not everything i hoped for and yes it was very corny but all in all it was just another Indy film to me:)

I've thought about it and seen it a few times now. Let it all sink in. I honestly just don't feel like it's "another Indy film." Not like LC, TOD. I realize they wanted to develop Indy into an old man who has turned into his father... but that was a bit of a mistake.

He isn't his father first of all. I don't think he would say "intolerable." The guy writing the script just was like "Sean Connery said it, haha, Indy should." That's all there is to it. But if he had thought about it, Indy is really only deep down like his father. I think an older Indy wouldn't have softened up this much.

He has very little "hero" time. He is mostly following people around etc. What we got was Indy but not the Indy we wanted. He wasn't all bad ass like usual. He didn't shoot anybody, etc. etc.

But most of all the "tone" of the film missed the mark. You watch the originals and that goofy yet serious vibe that runs through it is there. Guys head rolls on the floor towards Indy. Marcus gets a gun in his face and the weapon points over there and he points with his head. Indy shoots guys with a luger and it goes through all the Nazis and he is surprised (in the vein of just shooting the arab swordsman)... that kind of stuff was largely missing. Indy was fighting but that spirit was missing.

It also failed in delivering true heartwarming moments that make you care about the characters. Connery lying on the floor dying while Indy attempts to save him has more to it than anything in KOTCS. There was no true development between Indy and Marion or Indy and Mutt. Everyone was just kind of "there." And then Indy's suddenly married.

It just failed on those levels. There's a lot of problems with the film. No, Harrison acted the part dead-on... it has to do with how it was all written. It was just poorly executed from the most basic of forms... the script.

Darth Vile

No Ticket said:
I've thought about it and seen it a few times now. Let it all sink in. I honestly just don't feel like it's "another Indy film." Not like LC, TOD. I realize they wanted to develop Indy into an old man who has turned into his father... but that was a bit of a mistake.

He isn't his father first of all. I don't think he would say "intolerable." The guy writing the script just was like "Sean Connery said it, haha, Indy should." That's all there is to it. But if he had thought about it, Indy is really only deep down like his father. I think an older Indy wouldn't have softened up this much.

He has very little "hero" time. He is mostly following people around etc. What we got was Indy but not the Indy we wanted. He wasn't all bad ass like usual. He didn't shoot anybody, etc. etc.

But most of all the "tone" of the film missed the mark. You watch the originals and that goofy yet serious vibe that runs through it is there. Guys head rolls on the floor towards Indy. Marcus gets a gun in his face and the weapon points over there and he points with his head. Indy shoots guys with a luger and it goes through all the Nazis and he is surprised (in the vein of just shooting the arab swordsman)... that kind of stuff was largely missing. Indy was fighting but that spirit was missing.

It also failed in delivering true heartwarming moments that make you care about the characters. Connery lying on the floor dying while Indy attempts to save him has more to it than anything in KOTCS. There was no true development between Indy and Marion or Indy and Mutt. Everyone was just kind of "there." And then Indy's suddenly married.

It just failed on those levels. There's a lot of problems with the film. No, Harrison acted the part dead-on... it has to do with how it was all written. It was just poorly executed from the most basic of forms... the script.

I'm sure you were more positive about this movie initially????

James

No Ticket said:
But most of all the "tone" of the film missed the mark.

I don't know, I thought the tone was dead on...just for a 1950s B movie, which is what this was supposed to be. The biggest problem I see is that a lot of fans wanted a 1980s film, and they got a 1950s one.

keylan

I hole hartaly agree with No Ticket, to me it was more about Mutt than it was an Indy film of the Classic Era. There was little action of the calabir of the first three and the characters were not well fleshed out. I miss the good old days of the kick a## Indy and his search for items that have real histoical value. Sure maybe aliens do exist and all that but to wait almost 19 years and that is the story line that gets turned into a move. Well for me it was a disapointment.

Blade

James said:
I don't know, I thought the tone was dead on...just for a 1950s B movie, which is what this was supposed to be. The biggest problem I see is that a lot of fans wanted a 1980s film, and they got a 1950s one.

If they wanted it to be a 1950's B movie, why did they spend millions of pounds when they could have done it for a few thousand?

BlackSleep

James said:

I wanted a pre-Matrix attempt at making a 1950's B movie, but I got a post-Matrix 2008 attempt at making a 1950's B movie. As a result, I was a little disappointed.

James

Blade said:
If they wanted it to be a 1950's B movie, why did they spend millions of pounds when they could have done it for a few thousand?

And think of the money they could've saved by shooting the first three on a 1930s budget.

mdww

No Ticket said:

It needed a 'save marion' moment - EG. at the end when Mac is being sucked into the vortex, it should have been both Mac and Marion being sucked in and Indy only able to save one of them.

Niteshade007

mdww said:
It needed a 'save marion' moment - EG. at the end when Mac is being sucked into the vortex, it should have been both Mac and Marion being sucked in and Indy only able to save one of them.

While I don't normally agree with the necessity of a damsel in distress type of character, I think you may be onto something here. It would give Mac a chance to truly redeem himself, and make his line about "I'll be alright," or whatever make sense. Having Mac make the choice for Indy, to be noble and not let an innocent woman die because of his greed, would really add to his character.

Although, I think audiences would have a hard time buying that Indy wouldn't be able to make a decision on who to save: the love of his life and mother of his child or the backstabbing creep who is just in it for the money. Still, interesting to think about.

DocWhiskey

Kind of off topic, but I was using stumbleupon and it took me urbandictionary.com and guess to what phrase? "Nuke the Fridge". For some reason I thought that would be a term only used by us Indy fans. Guess not.

Benraianajones

Yeah, once an internet phrase is used, everyone starts using them like sheeps for the fun of it (most wont have a clue where it originated from. It is something people have been doing since the primitive ages of the web. Never been taken in by the internet meme world myself.

Last edited:

Indyisreal

Indy was a clown in this movie, he was not a hero. Heck, Indy was held hostage most of the time. In other words, this was not the same character we saw in the other 3 movies and it isn`t even close. Everyone around Indy had no roles in the movie (or pointless). The atomic bomb, ants, monkeys, and waterfall scenes were super fake which takes alot out of the movie. This is where alot of producers make mistakes. People are tired of the fake crap unless you are watching Transformers or Marvel movies which the CGI is expected. Why do you think the Batman`s 3,4,and 5 were all garbage? Because it was too cartoonish. Just like Indy 4. This is what was so great about the other 3 movies, they were more realistic. No CGI. Great characters, funny punch lines, good action, history, romance, etc. This movie was made in a lazy attempt and the fans and the series deserved more.