Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Finn

Staff member
Moedred said:
I'm sure it's simpler than Finland's multiparty system.
I never meant to say that it's simpler or harder to comprehend, just different. The fundamentals are the same, people vote and the government is formed based on the results of that election, but many don't look beyond that and therefore easily err on thinking that what works here, works there and vice versa. So it doesn't matter whichever system's easier to grasp; one still needs to educate oneself to understand the differences.

Moedred said:
Wrote P.J. O'Rourke on Sweden
Mr. Rourke is bit off the mark here. A non-working person does not make nearly the same as a working one. The income provided by the state is pretty much measured so that one can make the ends meet: no need to be hungry and out in the cold. But there are still people who are better off, and if you wish any kind of taste of luxury beyond filling the basic needs, you pretty much need a job. Sure, there are always those who game the system to get more out of it than that, but it's usually simpler to be working from 9 to 5 than jumping through several extra hoops of bureaucracy, which is required to milk the benefactors. I know I prefer the former.

Moedred said:
We're not all the same stock. The promise to waves of immigrants was never much more than an opportunity to make a go of it. Government medical services, which have been here quite some time now, naturally cost more than in other countries. As the plaque on the statue of Liberty says, "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" ...on a respiratory intensive care unit. That's great if you're in the health biz like me, but small businesspersons with narrow profit margins have one immediate course of action under Obamacare: fire someone.
Obama obviously admires the European welfare state, and his grand vision of America appears to be something similar. Despite knowing myself that it's not so bad, I'm not sure if he's thought it all over while setting that goal. The hurdle he's trying to overcome is not really economical. It's cultural. For Americans, the bottom line appears to matter a great deal. In their minds, anything off their personal income is lost income. Europeans think differently, here we figure that what's off our personal accounts still comes back to us, in one form or another.

I'm not sure if it's a conception that actually holds water if you were to take it through a more rigorous fact check, but it seems to make all the difference that people believe so regardless. And unless Obama can somehow instill that same faith in his fellow countrymen, I agree with Rocko on my assessment - very little is going to change.

WilliamBoyd8

From Time Magazine
"Voting with the 1%" by Joel Stein (Nov. 07, 2012)

That's when I found out that I live in the wrong part of L.A. In Bel Air,
citizens in two precincts vote at the Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, which
provides free valet parking, hors d'oeuvres, wi-fi, election coverage on two
flat-screen TVs and a voting butler. I made up the voting-butler part, but I'm
sure if I ask for one, they'll provide it.

Harrison Ford walked by with his i voted sticker, and I was proud to live in a
country where people who have played the President in action movies get special
voting privileges.

http://swampland.time.com/2012/11/07/voting-with-the-1-percent

:)