W.

The Man

Demonised? Humanised? Satirised?

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23133

“Before, I wasn’t a fan, not in the least,” says Brolin. “I’ll be honest about that. And, like a lot of people, I had a very myopic perception of him. Now, I don’t. My opinion of the administration didn’t change, and neither did my thoughts on Republicanism. My opinion of him changed, though, because when you humanise someone and you really start to do a lot of research, you see the bigger picture.”

w_ver3.jpg

w_ver2.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sg7vwicPx98&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sg7vwicPx98&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="450" height="358"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emb/6084"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emb/6084" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="358" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>​

agentsands77

I read the script for this.

Shockingly, it wasn't quite as biased as one might expect (though some of the characterizations felt like caricatures). Bush isn't vilified. He's not portrayed in a good light, either, but Stone doesn't make him out to be the devil in the White House.

But the big surprise? The script for W. was devastatingly boring.

Maybe Stone and the cast can bring the rather dull script to life. But given Stone's track record as of late, I'm not counting on it.

agentsands77

The Man said:
What do people think of Nixon? I say underrated stunner...
I really like NIXON. Quite underrated, and I imagine it'll still be the better Nixon flick when measured against the upcoming FROST/NIXON.

Niteshade007

The cast has me interested, as does Brolin's quote and agentsands' comment. Not the boring part, of course, but the playing Bush as a human. I don't agree with Bush, and to be perfectly honest, I don't really like him either, but I do believe that he is doing what he thinks is right. He wouldn't make the choices I would make, but he is sticking to his convictions. Choosing to portray him as a human rather than a bafoon or an evil man might actually help his image in the short term, and depending on this movie, have a lasting impression on the public.

That being said, I think it might be a little too soon to see a movie about Bush. Also, the American public has pretty spoken when movies about the recent events in Iraq and even the September 11th. And their response is "we don't want to see it." A lot of those movies don't fair well at the box office. Sometimes we just like to ignore the bad stuff.

Seems like propaganda to me. Oliver's not exactly known for fair and objective... nor is he a filmmaker I particularly like. Save for Talk Radio, actually, he's never made a half-way watchable picture. Nothing I hate more than overt propaganda on either side of the fence. It'll be a pass for me.

Forbidden Eye

*sigh*

I remember back in the good ol' days when we at least had good taste and waited until the person died before we made a bio-pic about em.

Last edited:

WillKill4Food

I rather look forward to it, also.
I hope that it really does show an unbiased view of him (but, alas, that's a lot to hope for) instead of the "Bush sucks!" rhetoric (perhaps that's too complementary a word) that we've heard from the media and the American people.
I'm not defending him or his policies (even though I'm a conservative), but I really feel for him because he took the presidency at a horrible time - our military was in shambles and we were attacked just months after his inauguration (and before you blame 9/11 on Bush, remember that Clinton had intelligence on Osama but refused to act, so who's really to blame?)

indifan101

I love how stone bashes on republicans but besides the point I agree I hope this isn't a movie that makes him look bad or like an idiot because I can tell you that Bush is not an idiot the man is more intellegant than those give him credit for. I hoping this isn't a bash film

The Man

<iframe src="http://www.cnn.com/video/savp/evp/?loc=dom&vid=/video/showbiz/2008/08/28/w.preview.clip.lionsgate" height="393" width="406" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Kingsley

Niteshade007 said:
I think it might be a little too soon to see a movie about Bush.
Agree... the man is still in charge and we become his biopic.
I'm interested, mostly because of Brolins words... but I smell the marketing trick too.

DarthMickey

yeah James B married to the Biggest Fatest Liberial In Hollywood, I'd say he was trying to do a sales Job on the weak minded. Oliver Stones Bio films are always just a joke.His movie on JFK was laughable.His movie on the Doors was just pathetic.He makes up stories again again to try and sell his crap movies.Hey Stone ...Beat it.You and your films are a Joke.:gun: :dead:

Niteshade007

DarthMickey said:
yeah James B married to the Biggest Fatest Liberial In Hollywood, I'd say he was trying to do a sales Job on the weak minded. Oliver Stones Bio films are always just a joke.His movie on JFK was laughable.His movie on the Doors was just pathetic.He makes up stories again again to try and sell his crap movies.Hey Stone ...Beat it.You and your films are a Joke.:gun: :dead:

Um...it's Josh Brolin in the movie, James' son. Josh is married to Diane Lane. I don't know her political affiliation.

Also, I'd hardly call Babs the "biggest, fattest liberal in Hollywood."

No Ticket

Looks amusing, but really... a bio-pic about Bush while he is still in office? ... and by Oliver Stone? ha!

"A life misunderestimated" ... HA!

I seriously doubt it will be unbiased. But we'll see.

The Man

Any chance this movie's release will affect the Presidential voting - maybe even slightly? There was a rumour that people felt Michael Moore overdid the Bush-bashing with Fahrenheit 9/11, prompting some to vote Republican out of spite in 2004...

Forbidden Eye

The Man said:
Any chance this movie's release will affect the Presidential voting - maybe even slightly? There was a rumour that people felt Michael Moore overdid the Bush-bashing with Fahrenheit 9/11, prompting some to vote Republican out of spite in 2004...

John McCain is a different person than George W. Bush. Just because GWB is a Republican does not mean every Republican is exactly like him.

No Ticket

Forbidden Eye said:
John McCain is a different person than George W. Bush. Just because GWB is a Republican does not mean every Republican is exactly like him.

Yet he seems to support pretty much all of GW's viewpoints...