Wall-E

HovitosKing

Just saw it...have to admit it wasn't as great as I'd expected (or been led to expect). It was missing something, or a few somethings...was very predictable and, aside from some obvious "save the earth" life lessons, didn't really present much depth. Kung Fu Panda, on the other hand...was AWESOME. Go Dreamworks.

TheMutt92

HovitosKing said:
Just saw it...have to admit it wasn't as great as I'd expected (or been led to expect). It was missing something, or a few somethings...was very predictable and, aside from some obvious "save the earth" life lessons, didn't really present much depth. Kung Fu Panda, on the other hand...was AWESOME. Go Dreamworks.

Different stokes for different folks.

I'm seeing this friday.

Nurhachi1991

Looks stupid to me just like all the other Pixar movies except Toy Story 1,2 those were great and there making a part 3!!! in 2009 I think. Those are the only Pixar movies I ever enjoyed.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Nurhachi1991 said:
Looks stupid to me just like all the other Pixar movies except Toy Story 1,2 those were great and there making a part 3!!! in 2009 I think. Those are the only Pixar movies I ever enjoyed.

"You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy."

<I>Back to the Future, Part II</I>

Oops, wrong thread...

Nurhachi1991

I love that line!

Well according to imdb Wall-E is better Than Raiders of the Lost Ark,The Godfather,Rocky ect.... Wow that must be some movie :p

mobollux2

Goonie said:
Oh, and since this is a Pixar movie, John Ratzenberger is in it. We can't have a Pixar movie with out old Cliff Clavin can we? ;)

also have to look for the pizza planet truck, which they throw into every movie.

Crusade>Raiders

Just saw it. Simply incredible. Might not reach The Incredibles level of super-****ing-stupid-good, but its still super-stupid-good. Like...I don't know why its soo damn good, but Pixar managed to do it...AGAIN. Almost every scene there is something I could smile at, to be immersed in, and its easily the smartest CGI film ever created. The second hour is more predictable than the first, but so what? I knew The Incredibles would come together and defeat the evil robots at the end of the movie, that doesn't stop it from being entertaining in almost every frame. Wall-E and Eva are two truly great characters, and I just had this real sense of joy every time they would say each other's name when they were in trouble.

Seriously, I can't get over how good this movie is. The photography is absolutely gorgeous, the film oozes charm from every angle, and all the characters had a personality, no matter how small their role might be. For example, the typing robot with the red eye. He saw Wall-E, who went along with EVA in the elevator. Wall-E waved at him, and the robot did a double take. He then glances at his hands trying to mimic the gesture. Later in the movie, Wall-E emerges with Eva to try and get back to Earth, with the same robot later mimicking Wall-E wave the best he could. Just these great little moments and a real feel for the world around them really puts Pixar LIGHTYEARS ahead of anything that other studios are doing with family-friendly films.

When I was watching the trailers before hand, there wasn't ANYTHING remotely good. Madagascar 2, The Flies Go To Mars(with the most blatant rip-off of Alvin and the Chipmunks I've ever seen. Seriously, somebody needs to sue), and worst of all, Beverly Hills Chihuahua(My mouth was just left open the whole time, no words...). I had lost faith on family-friendly entertainment, the kind that maybe even us Indy fans can understand: the films like Raiders that stand the test of time as classics and all ages can enjoy. Wall-E is in that small group of movies. Yes, its THAT good(ok, maybe not RAIDERS good, but close to it God damnit).

The Dark Knight better be some masterpiece-level of awesome if it wants to surpass Wall-E as best movie of the year.

Edit: some extra notes - I actually teared up at a couple scenes. Not once, but twice, and I'm usually not that emotional about things.

That Beverly Hills Dog thing...I was just like...Is Disney REALLY making this? Like...the same company that brought me and BILLIONS of people joy in animated classics like Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, The Lion King, Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, etc...are making THIS!? I was completely ****ing appalled that this is an actual movie being made, and it carries the same distributor as Wall-E(obviously, not the same team Pixar, but still...Disney)!

Last edited:

Nurhachi1991

Well I saw the movie and let me say I was wrong I take back everything I said about Wall-E it was a great great movie. I even shed a tear at the very end and not many movies have made me do that. Pixar good work!

muttjones

PIXAR is the greatest!!!!!

im dieing to see this film but it doesnt come Down Under until september.

Its very strange because usually australia gets movies the same date as USA but the time difference means we get it half a day before.

Like KOTCS and Dark Knight!!! :D

sandiegojones

This movie was fantastic. PIXAR has done their best work to date and they are by far superior to every other animation studio out there. They are truly artists and filmmakers, not just glorified game animators like WB and Fox.

This film had a lot of great influences from Charlie Chaplin to Stanley Kubrick. Its funny, sad and socially relevant without being too preachy or condescending. It's already one of my favorites. It accomplishes to balance being fun for kids and adults, but is occasionally deep and a little dark like the best science fiction films.

For its major theme being consumerism, it may seem hypocritical for Disney to distribute this movie, but after seeing the film I was surprised to see that Wal-Mart, Target and K-mart do not sell any Wall-E toys (just children's clothes and some bedding-which are biodegradable of course). Toys R Us does have some, but still it's rare that even Disney would have some integrity. McDonald's doesn't even have Wall-E happy meals!

I really love this film! (y)

IAdventurer01

Nurhachi1991 said:
I even shed a tear at the very end and not many movies have made me do that.

I hear that. I had to restrain myself from shedding numerous ones myself. :eek:

I saw it this past weekend and it was great. I'm not sure what people are saying about the shift in the movie from masterpiece to only really good, I thought the quality stayed consistent. There was certainly good spontanaity and commentary in the first part, but for a good movie I believe you need to build an actual plot so there's more action than just observation.

As a movie to enjoy, I still like the Incredibles the best from Pixar, but as a work of art I do think it's the best from them so far. In a way, I can compare it to my feelings for Raiders vs LC. LC is my favorite (despite the recent bashing of it around here) but as a work of art I consent that Raiders is the clear winner.

glorbes

Best movie so far this year, and I believe its Pixar's best overall. It just doesn't seem possible that a major studio is able to produce such honest, brilliant, moving films so consistently...with WALL-E, I feel Pixar has surpassed the original genius of Walt Disney himself. What a magical picture (I'm getting a little choked up just thinking about it right now).