War of the Worlds filming now (and does it have any effect on Indy IV?)

Luckylighter

I was listening to Howard Stern this morning, and he had Chris Rock on the phone. Chris mentioned how he recently had lunch with Tom Cruise on the set of War of the Worlds, and how he met Steven Spielberg. Which means Spielberg is filming THAT movie as we speak. I wonder how--or if--that will affect the filming of Indy 4.

P.S. Mods, if you think this is more appropriate for the Indy 4 board, then I understand if you move it. But I figured it had a cross-board quality, that's why I put it in Film Classics.

Finn

Staff member
This discussion seemingly takes its main direction to "how this will affect Indy IV" so let's just move it there.

San Holo

After War of the Worlds

The script should be done by the time War of the Worlds wraps, so it just might happen sooner than we thought. :whip:

Joe Brody

As for WotW, I'm stumped as to how this is film is going to be differentiated from other recent Alien invasion movies.

And as for Indy IV, I don't know how much it will affect Indy IV but I do think WotW will show us where Spielberg's head is right now -- i.e., is he still trending older/darker, with gritty, more realistic sets and feel like Minority Report and Saving Private Ryan.

When I watch Last Crusade, too much of the film is over-lit and much of the film feels fake and plastic. I'd like to see a grainier, more realistic feel.

[Man have been missing a good discussion about the next film.]

Ska

I'm thinking the original post meant how WOTW will affect Spielberg's schedule to film IJ4, but your approach seems more interesting. Here's my opinion on the mood of the film. First off, let me say that I would LIKE to see a darker, grittier movie like Raiders. BUT, think about the typical original IJ fan (which I sadly am not since I was less than a year old when Raiders came out). The typical IJ fan who saw Raiders in a theater when it was first released probably now has a family with kids. Lucas and Spielberg, being aware of this, will probably focus on a more family oriented film than a darker one to accomodate these original fans (think SW EI & EII). PLUS, it's possibly the final movie of the series (like LC was supposed to be). The mood of most final movies is always upbeat and bright over the precessors.

I would love to leave the humor and light heartedness back w/ LC and come to a closing w/ a Raiders feel. But I really don't see that happening w/ Indy IV.

Ska

Last edited:

intergamer

SKAbatula said:
I would love to leave the humor and light heartedness back w/ LC and come to a closing w/ a Raiders feel. But I really don't see that happening w/ Indy IV.

It's much more likely to be the other way around, I think.

Finn

Staff member
SKAbatula said:
I'm thinking the original post meant how WOTW will affect Spielberg's schedule to film IJ4, but your approach seems more interesting.
Feel free to discuss that as well. Of course, this goes without mention anyway.

Last edited:

intergamer

Well, its not much we didn't already know. WotW is in production now, and things will probably be set for Indiana Jones 4 do be done straight away afterwards. Unless it's called off all together, which we'll have to assume if it isn't made after WotW. The Spielberg Olympics thing will be over.
The only problem is WotW will be finished before EpIII is in the can.

Gobi-1

Sorry I don't have a link.

Variety reports on the progress and input by ILM on Steven Spielberg's remake of 'The War of the Worlds':

Spielberg's contempo version of a Martian invasion is supposed to be in theaters on June 29, less than eight months after the Nov. 7 start of lensing. That's a fast turnaround for any production, much less a summer tentpole containing 500 f/x shots.
He began submitting sequences to special effects giant ILM during the second week; by the time production wraps, ILM will either have finished or be working on at least half the f/x shots.

Looks like Spielberg is filming WotW as quickly as possible so he can begin work on Indy 4 in the Spring.

Last edited:

Doc Savage

To comment on the immediately previous topic, I'm kind of hoping for the "pulp" feel of RotLA . :whip: Just dark enough to keep you on the edge of your seat. I'm really fond of the way Lucas and Spielberg played the middle ground throughout the trilogy, skating close to noir in the beginning and camp in The Last Crusade .

Luckylighter

FYI...I checked the filming locations for WotW and it seems they have been all over the North East, especially in my neck of the woods (Newark, Elizabeth, Bayonne, NYC). I wish I had known, I would have been keeping an eye out for film crews. Any Jersey or New York Indyfans know about this, or have seen film crews in their neighborhoods?