Ward Churchill

Paden

The chancellor of the University of Colorado has chosen to fire controversial ethnic studies professor Ward Churchill, an activist and writer who garnered considerable media attention for a 2001 essay in which he referred to some victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks as "little Eichmanns" and claimed that U.S. foreign policy provoked the terrorist action. Churchill's writing and research has primarily focused on the history and culture of Native Americans, but some of his work in that area has also attracted controversy. The basis of Churchill's termination doesn't surround his political statements, but rather allegations of academic misconduct, specifically plaigarism and falsification. Churchill has stated that he will contest his termination in the court system.

Last edited:

roundshort

He will probably pull the native card and the Uni. will have to pay him off. Colorado schools seem to have problems!

roundshort

Like I love to say when people bash the US, if it is such an awful place, why are so many people dying to get in????

Paden

roundshort said:
He will probably pull the native card and the Uni. will have to pay him off.
Interestingly enough, there is a great deal of dispute regarding the authenticity of Churchill's claims of Native American heritage.
temple of john said:
It's hippies like him that really **** me off. If he thinks he doesn't have it good here, then lets ship his ass over to Iraq and see how he likes things over there.
Not to rile you and Shorty up further ToJ, but Churchill made the following statement regarding the U.S.:
Ward Churchill in "Dismantling the Politics of Comfort" said:
If I defined the state as being the problem, just what happens to the state? I've never fashioned myself to be a revolutionary, but it's part and parcel of what I'm talking about. You can create through consciousness a situation of flux, perhaps, in which something better can replace it. In instability there's potential. That's about as far as I go with revolutionary consciousness. I'm actually a de-evolutionary. I don't want other people in charge of the apparatus of the state as the outcome of a socially transformative process that replicates oppression. I want the state gone: transform the situation to U.S. out of North America. U.S. off the planet. Out of existence altogether.
The governor of Colorado, Bill Owens, characterized Churchill's statements as treasonous. Owens has reportedly argued that a state university should not keep an individual on the payroll that openly supports the overthrow of the government.

roundshort

I lived there for 9 years, a good place to live, super mountains, killer skiing, but yes, too many people like him. Oh well! What to do . . .

roundshort

temple of john said:
Why am I not surprised??? His face would like nice as a hood ornament on my car. God damn would I like to be in a room alone with him and a baseball bat for 20 minutes or so.

"It puts the lotion on..."

Also, take a look at Jay's profile picture. Are we sure this isn't Jay R. Zay???

Temp you will hit 3,000 in about 5 minutes I figure! You go. How do you feel about flag burners???

San Holo

temple of john said:
I think they should set up an electric chair for everyone one of those mother-****ers. In fact, why not an electric couch? You can juice more at one time and save money on electricity.
Now that's a great idea:D

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Ward Churchill made a tidy profit on the side as an art forger. This was in the back of my mind when I browsed the gallery of one of the newbies last week... not naming any names.

Lots of people claim to be Injun... Iron Eyes Cody who cried in the Earth Day ad was Italian, Sacheen Littlefeather who refused Brando's Oscar for him was a Mexican actress. Bill Clinton claimed one of his 8 great-great-grandmothers was Indian, but was never really asked to specify.

Paden

temple of john said:
Your really trying to get us pissed, aren't you? I bombed my Anatomy lab last night so I'm in no mood.
Sorry to hear about the lab. There was a time when I had strongly considered going into occupational therapy and as a result I took (among other things) two semesters of anatomy and physiology. I can remember just how unpleasant some of those lab exams could be, especially those where you had to identify items from actual specimens. Hang in there. It'll get better.

Speaking of school, I have a sister-in-law who recently graduated from one of the larger universities in this neck of the woods. Becoming involved in political discussions with her and her (now former) boyfriend has been a real joy (Yes, that was sarcasm). It's easy to identify those ideas that were formulated within the safe, insular walls of academia: they're impractical, out of touch with the rest of reality, and, on first hearing, make you wonder if they came from someone residing on Mars. It's frustrating trying to discuss such issues with someone who isn't actually out in the world, having to face some of the very real impact of those policies on daily existence. My point being, Churchill strikes me as one of those political Martians: an isolated academic that loves to spout rhetoric from the shelter of his university office. :)