What do the numbers say to you?

Jones_Happens

So...apparently the numbers say something different to everyone. It's pretty clear no definitive answer will come out of this thread!

Indyisreal

Crusade>Raiders said:
Why does everyone think movies are suppose to hold the top spot for two weekends in a row during the summer? Pirates 3 didn't, Shrek 2 didn't, SW:Ep.III didn't...hell damn near every big summer blockbuster drops off in the second weekend. This is a very, VERY common trait. That hold it up like its some kind of flaw.

The real flaw is mixed WOM, compared to something like Iron Man which has great WOM(I've yet to hear anybody give IM a bad review, where Indy is 50/50). Even with that, its still going to surpass 300 million domestic. Its a huge success, money-wise anyway.

You make valid points. But everyone knew this movie was going to be a success money wise. However, it had success because of the brand name. This movie goes to show you that If you put the name Indiana Jones as a movie title it will make alot of $ off the bat regardless of how bad the movie is. WOM was a negative one on Indy 4 for anyone who was older than 13 years old.

Crack that whip

Indyisreal said:
This movie goes to show you that If you put the name Indiana Jones as a movie title it will make alot of $ off the bat regardless of how bad the movie is. WOM was a negative one on Indy 4 for anyone who was older than 13 years old.

Well, not really, actually. For example, every single person I've talked to in person about it who's seen it is older than 13 - all but one of them are over 30, in fact - and they all enjoy the movie. But I'm sure there are others (of all ages) who don't.

Dr.Sartorius

Most people I've talked to said they enjoyed it. That's the only way I can gauge word of mouth. Most movie-goers don't post their opinions online.

eroc

Daily Box Office (U.S.)
Sun Jun 1, 2008

Rank Title Dist. Gross Cumulative
Gross
1 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Paramount Pictures $12,706,606 $216,881,000

2 Sex and the City New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures Distribution $12,526,011 $56,848,056

Looks like the stupid Sex/City fare has lost it's steam.

INDY 4 is now the 70th highest grossing movie of all time

DetectiveFork

MolaRam2 said:
I really find it hard to believe that SATC has that much of a fanbase. It is a 2 1/2 hour R-rated comedy that only plays to women and gay men.

Watch it, dude. I'm neither (despite my avatar) and I thought that show was hilarious. I'll likely go see the film. Of course, my friend and even my girlfriend think that's gay. :mad:

Indy Pendant

I'm planning to see "Sex and the City" this weekend and Indy one more time (I've already seen it twice). I'm only seeing the Indy movie because it's Indy; I still don't know if I like it even after seeing it twice.

eroc

Daily Box Office (U.S.)
Tue Jun 3, 2008
Archived Charts:

1 Sex and the City New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures Distribution $5,505,349 $68,056,238

2 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Paramount Pictures $3,860,177 $223,025,853

Indy 4 is now #63 on the all-time box office gross list.

sandiegojones

Well, Indy still finished 3rd this weekend. SATC dropped below Indy, but panda was #1 and Zohan #2, which was expected. Indy 4 is now over $250 million and could be over $600 million worldwide once the overseas numbers come in tomorrow.

Crusade>Raiders

Nothing great, but it is on track for 300 domestic, thats for sure. Also note Iron Man FINALLY took a big drop this weekend and slowed down, Maybe Indy can catch up with him :whip:

James

FILMKRUSC said:
But dropped 49% in gross.

Par for the course:

Off a reasonable 49%, the Paramount release upped its 18-day cume to a stunning $253M and climbed up to number 43 on the list of all-time domestic blockbusters -Box Office Guru

The film is on course to end up exactly where analysts predicted- roughly in the $310 million range.

No Ticket

$253,026,000 - Domestic
$520,141,229 - Worldwide

so far

What do the numbers say? They say if a movie has high box office numbers it MUST be Indiana Jones. haha.

But in all seriousness, it says that Indy is doing well and that was to be expected. Of course everyone wants to SEE the new Indy. Even if they end up not liking it.

HellofaSandwich

FILMKRUSC said:
But dropped 49% in gross.

If you take a look at the top ten films of the weekend, all of the films in extended release dropped in the 44%-63% range. So if you look at the numbers, Indy had one of the more modest drops of the weekend (certainly not as bad at Sex and the City's 63% drop).

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2008&wknd=23&p=.htm

So... I'm not sure what your point was. It's not "Titanic" in terms of staying power, but no one was expecting it to be.

StoneTriple

Not necessarily indicative - just my experience yesterday; I went for the fourth time. KOTCS is still showing on three screens of the Edwards\Regal and the theater looked to be about 90% full.