What happened to you in 13 years?

Yure

The Raven coming back is quite the deja-vu. An Indy movie being shot, people discussing the previous films and trying to figure out what's coming from the production of the so much anticipated and waited next one, after so many years of development hell. Debating Ford's age, hunting for clues or avoiding (more of trying to resist) spoilers. Makes me smile. It's 2007 all over again.

Who where you 14 years ago? Who are you now? Are you older and richer? (10 points for anyone getting the semi-quote)

In 2007 I was 28 and working in Naples, Italy, as a film studies assistant professor, looking forward to start my Ph.D. Took the students to a private midnight show the day KOTCS was released.

Got my Ph.D. in 2010 but it proved to be useless, had to leave the academic world, couldn't live off it. Moved to Rome in 2011 to work for a PR firm and been living there since. Was hired by their client (carmaker) in 2016. Managed to buy a flat, learned 3d printing, wrote some books ranging from Cold War to cartoons. Had many relationships, but none made it to marriage or offspring. But I have a niece and a nephew. Survived my first pandemic.

Travelled Europe on a motorcycle, learned 3d printing (I have the best Grail ever, promise), adopted a dog (not named Indiana), still planning to do my first cosplay going as... guess who.

Feeling still 28, so much changed, and yet so little.

How were these last 14 years for you?

BlueCoronado

08 I was 17 so.

Dropped out
G.e.d
Some college
Various jobs
Music
Films
Traveling
Car restoration
Tattooing
Married
Daughter.
Divorced
Son by 2nd woman (indy ****)

And the beat goes on and on...

Girl_From_Mars

I can remember a very troubled 32 year old 'man' going to the cinema to see Crystal Skull on his own, just relieved to have made it to see the film. A victim of awful childhood abuse with chronic PTSD, he'd survived a couple of serious suicide attempts in the 90s, and didn't really expect to be around for much longer, but was thrilled to see Harrison returning at last. The movie had been in production for what seemed like forever, and had given him something to cling onto. Something to make it to tomorrow for.

He became homeless not long after, and his mental health deteriorated very badly. At one point he was literally fished out of the gutter on the verge of dying. I do not exaggerate.

In 2015 he inherited a few thousand pounds which he used to buy a canal boat to live on. That gave him some security to build from as he struggled to hold down minimum wage jobs with the weight that severe depression and anxiety puts on a person. As long as he had that boat, he was safe from homelessness, even if he was hungry and penniless a lot of the time.

In 2019 his mother died and a massive weight lifted off him. He could finally be the person he always felt he was meant to be, but wasn't allowed to show. The persona he'd had beaten into him as a child fell away like an old mask.

He became me. A she.

I told everyone my new name, which I'd actually had secretly since I was a toddler. I bought clothes I liked for the first time in my life, and in December of that year I received my first package of HRT.

My appearance changed quite quickly. In January 2020 I was bullied out of the minimum wage gardening job I'd had for 3 years, but I remained positive and signed up to an agency who sent me temping to various places, working with lots of different people and building a new confidence in myself.

COVID struck in March, which took the wind out of my sails a bit, but by the autumn I had a permanent job again, as a ground worker for a tree surgery firm, and was doing well. My mental health problems were well and truly behind me.

In the first half of 2021 the 'sleeping partner' in the tree surgery firm decided I wasn't good for the company's image and was agitating for me to be sacked. I ended up walking and got by with private gardening jobs, of which I had no shortage of offers for in the local area where I'd built up a lot of goodwill.

In July I purchased my first car for about 20 years, something I didn't think I'd be able to do again. That enabled me to take work in other areas and I accepted an offer to cut the grass at a home for disabled adults 15 miles away.

I loved the place straight away. They liked me as well and the boss said: "Stay here. Work with us. We want people like you."

And that's where I am now, pursuing a career in that field. By the end of this year I hope to have some certificates qualifying me to take steps up the ladder, but I'll be staying at the home for the rest of my working life. It is my life now, and my family.

In the last 12 months I've got a better car and a better boat.

And I'm looking forward to the next Indy movie without worrying if I'll be alive to see it.

I even expect to be around for the next one after!

indyclone25

well lets see, in 2008 i started drawing sketch cards , got my first paying job in in a card company in 2009 and been working with my art in earnext since then , had two great grandkids and living life . so its been pretty good , and i'm still alive to hopefully see the next Indy film next year.

PilotJohnGrant

Finished Primary School, finished Secondary School, finished College, finished University and currently still figuring out what to do next.

metalinvader

Got married,Had a kid,Got in contact with throw me the whip through instagram. Granted I hardly ever post as much but I'm constantly reading the boards. Damn,I should really post more.

AV14

Finished primary school secondary school, an entire university degree and now about to finish my masters degree.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Neither took both courses as electives but I did public policy and economics
It was a Last Crusade reference:

"Archeology is the search for fact... not truth. If it's truth you're interested in, Dr. Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall."

The Lone Raider

Hmm...asking the uncomfortable questions, are we?

Times were simpler back then. More hopeful and blissfully naive. I was in elementary school when Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out.

I'm now a senior in college (finally; it's taken me two and a half extra years) with no idea what I'm gonna do next after graduating in April because I decided to get a major in psychology because I wasn't interested in anything else. And I don't want to go to graduate school because I can barely manage my sanity as it is as an undergraduate and I don't want to spend another decade in school to become a clinical psychologist. I'm not cut out for business and I don't want to go into it, and it looks like HR or marketing are about the only career paths I have going for me with a BS in psychology, so...I can't say that I have much to look forward to, assuming I even get my foot in the door. Not gonna lie, Dial of Destiny was the last thing in my life I was actually excited about.

Switched to a private religious institution at the start of my bachelor's...why, I don't know. Results have been mixed. The culture really sucks and I am the odd one out.

No successful relationships...just a brief one last year with a girl who had just graduated high school, but the age gap was too wide for me, and she turned out to not be nearly as mature as I initially thought she was. The education gap didn't help, either. She thought she knew more about life than she actually did...yeah...typically 18-year-old. I had to break it off because she was getting way too emotionally invested over the span of just two or three months, whereas I was growing more and more uncomfortable when it became increasingly apparent to me that no matter how mature a person might be at 18, they are still 18. I felt more like an older brother or father figure for her...just got really gross for me, but she didn't feel any sort of maturity discrepancy herself (and how could she when she hasn't even had any mileage herself to know any better?). I should never have gotten into it in the first place, but I guess sometimes you just don't know what you're getting into until you're already in it.

Otherwise, I can count the number of dates I've had on my two hands, and one of the women with whom I was supposed to go on a second date recently ended up ghosting me because, again, I am the odd one out at this private religious university and she judged me for my different values. Which is fine, of course...wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who has different values, so I can't blame her...but dating just ain't it for me I guess.

With Destiny having come and gone, I can't say that I look forward to anything in the future anymore. Life is generally pretty lonely and directionless. T'was fun while it lasted I guess.

The Lone Raider

Brigham Young University (BYU). I was at the University of Utah before. If I ever go back and get a master's in counseling, social work, political science, anthropology, or something else in the social sciences, that's where I'll return. I've had enough of BYU. Most of the people here are not my crowd, and the few who are like me agree that they have no desire to continue living in Utah County for the rest of their lives.

There are a lot of great things about Utah. Utah County is not one of them. I miss Salt Lake County.

The Lone Raider

Good Mountains, snow, and National Parks. I'm fond of St. George.
All of these things are correct. Ah, the mountains. I love being able to drive to Sundance up in Provo Canyon anytime I'm feeling stressed and need to retreat from the college culture for a couple of hours.

The accessibility to so many national and state parks is one of the top reasons for staying in Utah. I was just in Lake Powell and Goblin Valley last weekend and had a blast, save for the mild head trauma I received when I slipped on some wet, mossy sandstone after beaching the boat we rented. Those places never get old - I've been to Goblin Valley nearly seven times, I think, and Lake Powell twice.

St. George is quite lovely. I love the red sand dunes in Kolob Canyon. The Latter-Day Saint temple there is also very pretty to look at.

I only need snow for two days out of the year (Christmas Eve and Christmas) though, and then it can up and leave for all I care. I've never been skiing or snowboarding before anyways, and it wouldn't really be interested, either. Just not my thing. Too much risk for injury.