What sort of ending should Indy IV have?

Yolegoman

I DON'T WANT INDY 4!

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

<small>Look down. -Finn</small>

[Edited by Finn on 10-05-2003 at 09:08 am]

Venture

How about him just ending up in his classroom, writing his memoirs? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the promise, albeit undelivered, of further adventures, but that could be closure. Or me grasping at straws...

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
intergamer, I think it is great that you are posting, but if you could stop double (or even triple) posting. Please just include everything you are going to say in one post. There is and edit button of you think of something else you need to say.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
<small>
Renderking Fisk said:
Someone needs a hug...
*gives Renderking Fisk a hug* "There feel better?"</small>
:D

(sorry that was the mod inside me coming back up from the dead.)

Finn

Staff member
<small>
Aaron H said:
(sorry that was the mod inside me coming back up from the dead.)
Uhh... does anybody here have any garlic? How about a wooden slash? :D</small>

Indycrusader

Back to Indy dies

Like thegreatimposter, I don't want Indy to die. He can't die, he's, well, he's Indy. But it would be neat to see a good guy die for a change. Just to see what kind of light that put on the movie.

raydelark

Maybe it'll have a few different endings, depending on which theatre we see it in.

Generally, I'm guessing it will have a WOW effect as the ending of ROTLA did, but in a VERY different way. I'd like that, but I'm confident I'll like whatever it is.

intergamer

Re: Back to Indy dies

Indycrusader said:
Like thegreatimposter, I don't want Indy to die. He can't die, he's, well, he's Indy. But it would be neat to see a good guy die for a change. Just to see what kind of light that put on the movie.

Maybe Henry will die: he's old... he could be given a pretty glorious death - then that could lead to some of the plot...and we wouldn't have him tagging along everywhere.

LASTCRUSADER

Re: Re: Back to Indy dies

intergamer said:
Indycrusader said:

Maybe Henry will die: he's old... he could be given a pretty glorious death - then that could lead to some of the plot...and we wouldn't have him tagging along everywhere.

If anyone were to die in the next Indy movie I also think Henry is the most likely. It could certainly serve as a very dramatic scene.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Henry dying would be a great kick off to the film, also as the way for Indy's past loves to come back.

Indycrusader

I agree. I said Indy shouldn't die, but Henry dying would be good. Like Marion died in Raiders, except she didn't. Maybe it would be a good kick-off to have Indy set off searching for.........I dunno. But, yeah, Henry dying might be good.

Or maybe if they bring Marion back...........Hmmmmmm..
........And she really dies this time. Double Hmmmmmmm.....

Ska

Renderking Fisk said:
Seeing Jones as the dark, mysterious and iconic figure go out into the jungle with a map in his hand would be the greatest way to see this serise end, back to the begining and bring it full circle.

I absolutely agree with you Ren. When I read this post, I got chills thinking about Indy fading away into the morning fog of a vast jungle. We could think that he's walking to an airplane or something to head back to New York and give up his adventures. But then after Indy fades into the fog, the camera could pan up to show more of the jungle. And then right before the credits begin, we see a shot of a pyramid sticking out of the jungle tree line. Indy wasn't heading back home, but traveling to another adventure.

I can hear the cheers in the movie theater already!

Randy_Flagg

I still think Last Crusade had the best ending, and the problem with that is that it makes Indy 4 seem like an afterthought.

Even the title, "The LAST Crusade" had meaning. It wasn't just the "last crusade" for the grail, it was Indy's "last crusade" (or so we thought.) And yet, now there's going to be another.

There were a few things I liked about Last Crusade's ending.

1. As Lucas has done throughout the series, he rehashed yet another old cliche... "riding off into the sunset." It was the perfect ending to a series that thrived on making old ideas seem fresh.

2. It represented Indy's growth as a character. In Raiders, he was a mysterious loner (at least until he reached the University), but by the end of Last Crusade, he is no longer a mystery or a loner. I think the ending showed this pretty well. He'd settled down somewhat, and his relationship with his father has reached common ground. As he rides off into the sunset, he's with friends; stable, long-term friends (unlike Willie or Marion). As I said in a previous post, Indy has grown from being a mysterious loner in search of "fortune and glory" to being everyone's favorite uncle.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next one. Will his character degrade to what he was back in Raiders? (nothing against the dark, mysterious figure, but it would be a step backwards in his life.) Or will he find more stability, companionship and happiness beyond searching for lost relics?

Indycrusader

Randy_Flagg said:
I still think Last Crusade had the best ending, and the problem with that is that it makes Indy 4 seem like an afterthought.

Even the title, "The LAST Crusade" had meaning. It wasn't just the "last crusade" for the grail, it was Indy's "last crusade" (or so we thought.) And yet, now there's going to be another.

1. As Lucas has done throughout the series, he rehashed yet another old cliche... "riding off into the sunset." It was the perfect ending to a series that thrived on making old ideas seem fresh.

2. It represented Indy's growth as a character. In Raiders, he was a mysterious loner (at least until he reached the University), but by the end of Last Crusade, he is no longer a mystery or a loner. I think the ending showed this pretty well. He'd settled down somewhat, and his relationship with his father has reached common ground. As he rides off into the sunset, he's with friends; stable, long-term friends (unlike Willie or Marion). As I said in a previous post, Indy has grown from being a mysterious loner in search of "fortune and glory" to being everyone's favorite uncle.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next one. Will his character degrade to what he was back in Raiders? (nothing against the dark, mysterious figure, but it would be a step backwards in his life.) Or will he find more stability, companionship and happiness beyond searching for lost relics?

So poetic, Ran, I like it. And I love Ren's depiction of Indy in the jungle with the map. It takes us back to the beginning of Raiders, and that's good. Nobdy wants Indy to just end. That wouldn't be Indy style.

<small>There you go. Edit exists, btw. -Finn</small>

[Edited by Finn on 10-09-2003 at 08:04 am]

intergamer

Randy_Flagg said:

The "quintessential ending" of Last Crusade may be part of the reason that Indy4 is set 20 years later...i.e. Indy becomes restless again. I don't think 4 will beginning as if Indy has been adventuring nonstop since Last Crusade.