What this article mentions sournds silly....

Raffey

As reported on Lights Out Entertainment on October 07, 2004:

'Indiana Jones 4: According to Female First, Harrison Ford has been given strict instruction on exercise ahead of his fourth outing as Indiana Jones - don't do any.

The 62-year-old megastar has been told to get his Fedora and whip ready for a January 2005 shoot for Indy 4 but not to go mad on getting buff for the role.

"It's been 15 years since the last Indy movie and obviously Harrison has got a lot older but that's not a problem for this movie," says an insider on the Steven Spielberg-directed future blockbuster.

"Steven doesn't want a middle-aged guy trying to look young - he wants to bring a new type of hero to the screen."'

If true, what's Speilberg trying to say? That middle age Americans are all fat-arses?

Just because he and Lucas aren't in the best shape for their age doesn't mean that Indy should!

Harrison is in perfect shape compared to the average American.
I think he's gonna work out before shooting but not as much as he did for TOD for instance. Would look kinda stupid if he'd bulge up and look like Arnold since his main job is that of a proffessor and not a bodybuilder.

Ska

Raffey said:
If true, what's Speilberg trying to say? That middle age Americans are all fat-arses?

I would hardly call HF a fat-@$$. It's not like he's been sitting on his couch eating bag after bag of potato chips since LC.

LASTCRUSADER

Fors is in pretty good shape as it is. Especially for his age. If you head over to the TR.N homepage there is another story on how Ford says that Indy IV should start production very soon. It also mentions that Ford was told not to go full out on getting in shape since the character is meant to be older.

Johnny Nys

I have to think of Sean Connery in "The Rock". Older character but still action figure. Imagine Indy that way.

Indyologist

Raffey said:

"Steven doesn't want a middle-aged guy trying to look young - he wants to bring a new type of hero to the screen."'

I kind of laughed when they mentioned Steven wants to bring a "new type" of hero to the screen! I have NO idea what THAT'S supposed to mean. What would this "new type" of hero be? Perhaps a soft, flabby, older-aged American male? The kind that you KNOW spends Saturdays on the couch with a 6 pack of Molson's and a big bag of Doritos? LOL! Although you KNOW Indy won't be fat, even though that IS the standard American body type-- unfortunately.

Thus, I think your assessment of middle-aged Americans is right on the money, Raff. Most are, indeed, "fart arses!" And please notice I said MOST Americans-- not ALL.

This is especially true of we Western New Yorkers (I live in Kenmore, a suburb of Buffalo). We have the highest occurances of heart attacks and strokes in the <u>whole United States</u>. Why? Straight and simple, our diet and our climate. All year round we consume scads of greasy pizza and fatty, fried chicken wings-- which, as you all know, Western New York makes THE BEST!! Anyhoo, combine that kind of a diet along with our unbearably long and cold winters which most WNYers spend-- you guessed it-- sitting in our custom-made "ass groove" on the couch because we don't want to go out in the cold.

Soooo--

Greasy, fatty foods + primarily sedentary lifestyle= clogged arteries = heart attacks and strokes.

Sad. Very sad.

Ska

Johnny Nys said:
I have to think of Sean Connery in "The Rock". Older character but still action figure. Imagine Indy that way.

Or like Sean in Entrapment?

Joe Brody

Aaron H said:
Ford is in okay shape...I doubt, however, that he's been told not to buff up.

Unless of course the primary concern is that Ford may go out and do something stupid during his training regimen that would prevent the film from shooting as planned. I think the primary consideration is getting the film made. Having Ford work out is an unnecessary risk -- especially since I agree that Ford is in good shape as is.

I always thought Ford's injury "during" Temple of Doom was fishy.

westford

Re: Re: What this article mentions sournds silly....

Indyologist said:
I kind of laughed when they mentioned Steven wants to bring a "new type" of hero to the screen! I have NO idea what THAT'S supposed to mean. What would this "new type" of hero be? Perhaps a soft, flabby, older-aged American male? The kind that you KNOW spends Saturdays on the couch with a 6 pack of Molson's and a big bag of Doritos? LOL! Although you KNOW Indy won't be fat, even though that IS the standard American body type-- unfortunately.
I think that movie's been made - it's called Supersize Me! ;)

Raffey

Yes, I do agree that Ford is great shape for his age or any other age for that matter.

My point was that IF Speilberg did tell Ford not to work out because he didn't want a fit, middleaged hero....WTF?

I know that the 'overweight' population of the world is like 2 out of every 3 people or something to that ratio, but to tell Ford not to work out because Speilberg wants Indy to have 'typical' old man's body type is a little stupid.

Indydan13

Re: Re: What this article mentions sournds silly....

Indyologist said:

What I think is meant is that a "new type" of hero is a regular yet irregular Joe. A man who can do amazing things but not as a 6'2" body-building maniac who can pick up a guy like Pat Roach and throw him clear across the room.

For instance, getting the crap kicked out of you by an airplane x 24 years= New type of hero

Indydan13

I'm a pilgrim in an unholy land...

*dan punches ronald mcdonald as he tries to make a snowman in the coldness that is Illinois*

Johnny Nys

He's a college professor. Being able to walk up a flight of stairs without having a heart attack would be impressive (apologies to all you college professors out there, just using an extreme to make a point). Indy doesn't do much else but teach. Only once in a while does he embark on an "escapade". You couldn't buy all that home training equipment they sell on tv in those days. He might not be totally out of shape but he won't be looking like Nicolas Cage in "Con Air". He's just an ordinary guy plunged into an extraordinary situation and he'll deal with it no matter what shape he's in.

Indyologist

Indy pulled his Webley from its holster on his hip and leveled it at McKusky's chest. Suddenly, Indy found himself unable to keep his arm raised. He tried again, but every time he did, he would huff and puff and be unable to keep it up and he would be forced to let his arm fall to his side.

Damn, Indy thought. When did this gun get so heavy?

McKusky eyed him warily, a look of confusion on his face. Indy was bent over now, leaning his arm on his thigh. Indy smiled a strained smile and put up a finger.

"Hold on. Be with you in a minute."

Last edited: