What Would You Change About the Films?

Mr. Fusion

Tennessee Smith said:
I would change, the fact they changed the name of "Raiders" to "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark." I understand the so-called continuity issue, and making a box set look pretty when placing all three movies side by side on a shelf, but it'll always be "Raiders" to me.

I agree with you there. My brother was really angry when he saw the DVD title.

There's really nothing I can think of that I myself would change. I'm not nearly as creative as Spielberg or (young) Lucas.

jonesissparrow

Yeah George for some reason or another is bit selfish when it comes tampering the films like that.

There was a plot hole in TOD that kind of bothered me a bit after watching it the fifth time. How come SHort Round was the only one to break free from the chains why didn't other children did the same besides the one who appear in the film early fatiqued.

oki9Sedo

jonesissparrow said:
Yeah George for some reason or another is bit selfish when it comes tampering the films like that.

There was a plot hole in TOD that kind of bothered me a bit after watching it the fifth time. How come SHort Round was the only one to break free from the chains why didn't other children did the same besides the one who appear in the film early fatiqued.

Because it would require alot of balls to try that.

Major West

jonesissparrow said:

How do you know other children didn't try and were killed or beaten?

Tennessee Smith said:
I would change, the fact they changed the name of "Raiders" to "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark." I understand the so-called continuity issue, and making a box set look pretty when placing all three movies side by side on a shelf, but it'll always be "Raiders" to me.

Well they haven't actually changed the title on the movie itself, and that's what counts isn't it?

UltimateManGod

Major West said:
Well they haven't actually changed the title on the movie itself, and that's what counts isn't it?

That's what I think. If the movie itself just says Raiders of the Lost Ark, then that's the title. They did change it to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark for the menu though. Now I haven't actually put these covers on yet, but this site has nice looking covers for the DVDs with "Raiders" as the title. http://www.spleenworld.com/

The_Raiders

WillKill4Food said:
Lovin' watchin' my own thread die a slow, painful death...

Yeah I know what you mean. I stared a thread about an author and it only got like 3 or 4 post before it died :(

Salacious

I think the movies are perfect except LC is far too slapstick.

They did a complete 180° from TOD and they shouldnt have done that. They lost their edge.

I know Spielberg in particular was far too engrossed in the father/son relationship. That stuff worked, but it shouldnt have been at the expense of what the 30's serials were all about...adventure and excitement.

I found very little of that when rewatching LC the last couple of times.

WillKill4Food

It could be said that the films got progressively lighter, as far as internal chronology. ToD (the darkest) was in 1935, Raiders (perfect blend) was in 1936, and LC (the lightest) was in 1938. But, I agree that the films would have been best had they all been the perfect blend like Raiders.

Lord_glavin

One of the few things I would change is maybe add some more globe trotting in temple of Doom
For some reason that movie always felt too constricted and not enough adventuring

I know its a rather general observation, but I think all the globe trotting in ther other Indiana Jones movies is what made me love them so much, having the setting change constantly

FordFan

I would have muted 75% of Willie Scott's screaming.

I would have gotten rid of Indy's necktie.

The thing I love about TOD is, even though it's a flawed film, it is very much an Indiana Jones film. I associate Indiana Jones with crocodiles and machetes, rope bridges, etc. I thought Last Crusade was a fun movie, but it is my least favorite of the three for being too light. If "Crystal Skull" includes the grittiness of "Raiders", the iconography and fearlessness of TOD, and some of the humor/sentimentality of LC, I think it could be a worthy entry in the series.

IndySeven

Here's what I'd change:

Raiders: Would've made the boulder chase longer, added action music to the Raven bar fight, and make Indy battle a whole crowd of street fighters in Cairo.
TOD: Have a fierce, long fighting scene in the mines with Thuggee warriors, not have Indy get whipped by the Giant Thuggee (a couple of hard punches in the face would've been short and quick, perhaps even having him get whipped once, then get punched in the face some times), have Indy swordfight Thuggees in his mine cart, and show what happened in the following day or two after the freeing of the slave children.
LC: The one thing that I would've made sure to change is let Elsa live! She could've forgotten about the grail, let Indy pull her up out of the abyss, and ride out with Indy and his friends in the sunset. I would've had Indy whip fight some Nazi soldiers in the desert and add more fist-fighting scenes.

So, this is what I'd change about the Indy films.(y)

Skipper

I think the ending to Raiders is kind of lame. Indy captures the ark, but then the Nazis get it back, and Indy lucks out that everyone dies. There's just not much excitement after the truck chase.

In TOD, the scenes between the plane crash and arriving at Pankot palace are pretty boring.

And in Last Crusade, the opening "young Indy" sequence is pointless (although I admit I liked it at first), and the boat scene is kind of boring. But the sequence in the middle with Indy and his Dad escaping from the Nazis is just great.

Skipper

IndySeven said:
Raiders: Would've made the boulder chase longer, added action music to the Raven bar fight, and make Indy battle a whole crowd of street fighters in Cairo.
Isn't there ALREADY a scene where Indy battles a crowd of street fighters in Cairo? :confused:

IndySeven said:
LC: The one thing that I would've made sure to change is let Elsa live! She could've forgotten about the grail, let Indy pull her up out of the abyss, and ride out with Indy and his friends in the sunset.
Well, most of the people on this board already hate LOC for being too "light-hearted," so letting Elsa and Indy live happily ever after probably wouldn't have helped.

Indy_Chic

Probably the only change I would have made would be to have Indy running around shirtless way more often. ;) Yummy!

oki9Sedo

IndySeven said:
Raiders: Would've made the boulder chase longer, added action music to the Raven bar fight, and make Indy battle a whole crowd of street fighters in Cairo..

I loved the fact that there was no music in the Raven bar fight. It was realistic and brutal, and had a raw edge to it.

IndySeven said:
TOD: Have a fierce, long fighting scene in the mines with Thuggee warriors, not have Indy get whipped by the Giant Thuggee (a couple of hard punches in the face would've been short and quick, perhaps even having him get whipped once, then get punched in the face some times), have Indy swordfight Thuggees in his mine cart, and show what happened in the following day or two after the freeing of the slave children..

But part of a great action scene is seeing the hero in genuine peril. If he was just kicking the sh*t out of everyone coming his way all the time there would be no tension. Seeing him getting pounded by a 6'5", 250lb beast of man shows he's human and really up against it.

IndySeven said:
LC: The one thing that I would've made sure to change is let Elsa live! She could've forgotten about the grail, let Indy pull her up out of the abyss, and ride out with Indy and his friends in the sunset. I would've had Indy whip fight some Nazi soldiers in the desert and add more fist-fighting scenes.

You know the score. She's been corrupted by her own blind, selfish ambition, and she pays a dear price.

IndySeven

Skipper said:
Isn't there ALREADY a scene where Indy battles a crowd of street fighters in Cairo? :confused:

It wasn't long enough! It should've been an awesome fist and whip-fight that lasted for quite a while. A crazy, chaos-filled fight as crazy as the Sail Barge Assault in ROTJ would've been awesome!:whip: :gun:

Darth Vile

For me, all 3 movies are pretty much perfect. There are a couple of cosmetic things I'd change overall e.g. some of the cheaper effects in TOD/LC, but they are not major.

I think TOD would benefit from re-inserting the scene where Willie is captured in the palace and where the prime ministers allegencies are revealed. It always read well in the novel, so not sure why it didn't work when filmed (perhaps it was just a time thing).

From a Last Crusade perspective (and I'm being picky here). In the opening segment it was way too easy for Indy to get his fear of snakes, scar, whip and hat all within the same adventure (so I'd cut the whip out at least). I'd also make it clear that the guy who robs the grave of Coronado (the Indy proto-type) is actually Abner Ravenwood (as it was in the novel). Finally, the "Follow in the word of God" booby trap is just not dangerous enough. I know they changed their original concept from spiders to a deathly fall, but I justt didn't buy into the danger of getting the puzzle wrong.

oki9Sedo

I didn't like the way they changed Marcus in Last Crusade.

In Raiders, although he is only on screen for 15 minutes or so, its clear that he is a very wise and intelligent man, who is also very kind and compassionate and generally a very positive role model type figure.

In Last Crusade he's senile, chilidish and makes lame jokes.

I know the argument was that he's out of his element and therefore his character changes, but I just don't buy that. I would have thought he'd be clear-headed and well able to handle himself in those situations, not as well as Indy, but better than most.