What's the beginning of Raiders?

MP3

Every time I've watched Raiders, it's been from my friend's videotape. However, his tape is slightly damaged - the whole beginning is cut off until the part where Indy is about to switch the pouch for the Chachapoyan idol, and from there until the part where it shows Indy's college, it is mostly black and white and very fuzzy (apparently, something went wrong with his VCR when he taped it off AMC TV). As a result, I never got a proper view of the beginning.

I tried downloading copies of the script from TheRaider.net and other places, yet every site has the same script - the "revised third draft" which is so old that it still has the museum/gong and mine car scenes, and Toht is called Belzig, Belloq's first name is Emile, etc. As a result, I don't know if I can trust the script's account of the beginning of the film - maybe that was changed too in the final movie.

So can someone please enlighten me: is the actual beginning of the film different from the script in any way? If yes, how? Does anyone know where I can get a newer version of the script or better yet, a "transcript" of the movie?

And here are some specific questions: what sort of rope/vine is Indy clinging to after jumping accross the pit (when Satipo didn't throw him the whip)? Who is the dead man riddled with darts/arrows that Indy encounters upon rolling out of the temple?

And finally, where and when is the "famous" scene of Indy reaching under a closing stone door to retrieve his whip?

Marcus Petrius

THis is the beginning:

The paramount logo fades into a mountain.
We see a guy with a hat, two Peruvian guys and native package carriers walking throught the jungle for some time.

Then there's a statue, the natives run away. Some time later the men find a dart that has been poisoned. One of the Peruvians, Satipo tasts the poison and spits it out again "The poison is fresh, three days, the hovitos are near" The other Peruvian guys replies to this: "If they knew we where here, they would have killed us already."

The men end up at a little pool. The man with the hat is looking at a map, half of which is given to him by Satipo. In the mean time Barranca, the other guy, gets his revolver from his holster and is preparing to fire. The man with the hat hears this and whips the gun from his hand. Barranca gets scared and runs away. Now we see the man with the hat step into the light: it's Indiana Jones.

Indy and Satipo go to the entrance of the temple. Indy fills his sandbag with sand.
"THis is it, this is were Forrestal cashed in"-Indy
"Was he a friend of your?"-Satipo
"A competitor, he was good, he was very very good"-Indy
"Please senor, no one ever came out of there alive"-Satipo

They walk into the temple. Satipo points out a spider on Indys back. Indy wipes it away with his whip. Satipo now feels spiders on his own back. Indy wipes away about 14 spiders from Satipos back.

There's a hole the men have to cross (the same point where the 'throw me the whip' dialogue takes place). There's a beam above the chasm, so Indy crosses it without problems and swings back the whip to Satipo. Satipo swings but the beam almost breaks. He barely makes it and Indy has to grab his belt to pull him across.

Next, there's a room that seems to be empty.
Satipo says:"Lets hurry, there's nothing to fear here"
Indy replies:"That's what scares me!"
Indy gets a torch and traces the edges of a stone and then taps it. A little dart comes flying towards them and sticks into the torch.
Indy says:"stay here"
"If you insist, senor" replies Satipo.
Indy carefully walks across, only touching the white tiles on the floor. Then he ends up at the idols pedestal.
He lets a hand full of sand drop.

And that's where your version starts.
The whip pulling part is after that.

The dead man riddled with darts is Barranca.

MP3

Thank you very much! Some parts are extremely different from the script. For example, here's how the script dictates Barranca's doom:

Barranca is suddenly on his feet, quietly drawing his pis-
tol. He raises it toward Indy as Satipo realizes with
alarm what he's doing. Too late. Indy's head turns and
he sees Barranca.

Indy's next move is amazing, graceful and fast, yet
totally unhurried. His right hand slides up under the back
of his leather jacket and emerges grasping the handle of
a neatly curled bullwhip. With the same fluid move that
brings Indy's body around to face the Peruvian, the whip
uncoils to its full ten foot length and flashes out.

The fall of the whip (the unplaited strip at the end of
the lash) wraps itself around Barranca's hand and pistol.
He could not drop the gun now if he tried.

Indy gives the whip a short pull and Barranca's arm in
jerked down, where it involuntarily discharges the gun
into the dirt. Barranca is amazed, but feels some slack
in the whip and immediately raises the gun toward Indy
again, cocking it with his free hand.

Indy's face goes hard. And sad.

Indy sweeps his arm in a wide arc. Barranca spins around,
enclosed in the whip, his gun hand stuck tight against
his body. Indy gives one more short jerk on the whip
handle and Barranca's gun fires. Barranca falls dead.