Where to?

Kill Cavalry

I have had a rough past few days, and basically come to the realization that I need to make some major changes in my life. I need to get up and go. I count count the number of times I've been out of the state on one hand, and I've been out of the country only once.
Not only do I need to address a lot of personal problems, I need to get up and go. Here's the problem: I'm poor. Dirt poor. I hardly have a dime to my name and can barely make a living. What would be the best exotic place to travel on an extremely limited budget?

Are you trying to freeze him to death VP? :dead:

Well if you had at least some money and were only looking to get away for a bit then you could go to Eastern Europe. I know you can get by pretty cheap there for quite awhile. You could go stay with qwerty or something. Might be a bit expensive getting there though.

qwerty

Edward The Head said:

Well if you had at least some money and were only looking to get away for a bit then you could go to Eastern Europe. I know you can get by pretty cheap there for quite awhile. You could go stay with qwerty or something. Might be a bit expensive getting there though.
Gee, Edward you can be very generous sometimes.
KC if you are around Serbia fell free to come by. Serbs are very open harted people. But we have a saying about guests: Three days and it's enough, for any guest. (in original "Svakog gosta za tri dana dosta")

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Australia's cheap. Our dollar equals US 70c. The flight's a b**** though. For a cheap location in Australia, Sydney is the best, but most expensive. Same with Melbourne. Brisbane and the Gold Coast is great. It's cheaper and it's great weather all the time.

Finn

Staff member
Edward The Head said:
Not just that, but rip him his final pennies as well. We're not exactly... cheap. We can be... reasonable at times, definitely, but not Eastern Europe cheap.

Unless, of course, our friend succeeds in getting a refugee status. That means loads of free money from the government. :p

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The absolute cheapest and quietest is to stuff your pack with food from the dollar store and wander the Sierras for a few weeks. Just leave a note on your dashboard and tell people where you are... search and rescue can be expensive.

Magda

If you don't have money, then... ummm... get a job? Expect to pay at least $1,000 getting anywhere in the world.

Kill Cavalry

Thanks for the advice guys, it'll probably happen this coming summer, after the busy season at the museum lets me get away for a while with some money in my pocket.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Like I said Australia is cheap. Whereabouts? Sydney? Outback? Melbourne? Those are the usual Tourist places. I recommend Sydney, though the most expensive city, it is the most worthwhile. If you like surfing, then Gold Coast is the best. Outback is soooooo boring.

Magda

Kill Cavalry said:
It looks like a friend and I might head out to Australia this coming summer.

If you and your friend stay at hostels and avoid eating at restaurants, I think you can get by pretty well. I wouldn't waste too much money on accomodations and food since you will probably be robbing yourself of funds that could be spent on exploring.

Oh, and as a random piece of advice... avoid Finland at all costs. ;)

indy34

Violet Indy said:
Australia's cheap. Our dollar equals US 70c. The flight's a b**** though. For a cheap location in Australia, Sydney is the best, but most expensive. Same with Melbourne. Brisbane and the Gold Coast is great. It's cheaper and it's great weather all the time.
could'nt be more right australia's a great place to go on a low bidget(y)

NoCamels

If you're young enough to go to youth hostels, they are awesome for the budget. IThe best three I've been to were (can't remember the names) one in Melbourne, Australia; one in Interlaken, Switzerland- they could arrange trips and stuff; and one in Lisbon, Portugal which was ok but it was the cheapest at about 10 euros a night.

Buying your food at grocery stores and only eating at most one restaurant meal a day works too. Of course, if you go to Europe and get a Eurrail Pass, you can time it so you're on the train at night and you won't have to pay for somewhere to sleep!

Wherever you choose to go, get a Lonely Planet book for that country. They are immensely helpful, especially for planning a trip on a budget!