"Where'd they go - space?"

Darth Vile

The Man said:
The central idea of Akator is a mockery. Remember the first time we saw Indy, deep in Peru, mastering the jungle to find and better the traps of the hidden Hovitos Temple?

However, under the directions of an older Lucas and David Koepp, we're informed that the same man nearly died from typhus looking for a temple that was visible from outer-space. Didn't Jock tag along this time? In his plane? Which could fly over Peru? No maps? No eyes? No brains?

Shambles! It beggars belief that such a script could be passed for shooting. Spalko's death is merely the icing - or the cosmic fairy dust - on the rancid sh!tcake.

To be fair... I'm not sure whether that would be possible. Indy had a map for the location of the temple in Raiders, but was reliant on Oxley for the route to Akator. That part of South America is pretty vast. Small aircraft can easily run out of fuel if they are not running specific routes. Willing suspension of disbelief I know? but I don?t think it?s that big a suspension.

For example, it took Indy circa 5 minutes to run back to Jock and the plane, but we are supposed to believe he needed guides, packers and donkeys as seen in the intro???

agentsands77

Darth Vile said:
To be fair... I'm not sure whether that would be possible. Indy had a map for the location of the temple in Raiders, but was reliant on Oxley for the route to Akator. That part of South America is pretty vast. Small aircraft can easily run out of fuel if they are not running specific routes. Willing suspension of disbelief I know? but I don?t think it?s that big a suspension.

For example, it took Indy circa 5 minutes to run back to Jock and the plane, but we are supposed to believe he needed guides, packers and donkeys as seen in the intro???
Yeah. The whole "lost city" thing doesn't bother me one bit. It would perhaps make a bit more sense for the lost city to be covered over in foliage, but that's really nothing but a small quibble.

Cagefighterkip

The Man said:
It's less about realism that coherence and comprehension. I don't know what happened at the end. And neither does anybody else...

Don't you just love great screenwriting? Don't you?

ill agree RAIDERS is better than KOTCS, and TLC and TOD are better than Crystal Skull too. but I still give Crystal Skull a 9 out of 10. its funny, good action, its Indiana Jones, great music, cinematography, jokes, and i liket he B-movie feel to it. but hey; different strokes for different folks right.

DiscoLad

Cagefighterkip said:
ill agree RAIDERS is better than KOTCS, and TLC and TOD are better than Crystal Skull too. but I still give Crystal Skull a 9 out of 10. its funny, good action, its Indiana Jones, great music, cinematography, jokes, and i liket he B-movie feel to it. but hey; different strokes for different folks right.

Could we say it had "Good" action?...
- He only used his gun and whip once or twice...
- Not much punching like the others...
- I was looking for blood...

Darth Vile

DiscoLad said:
Could we say it had "Good" action?...
- He only used his gun and whip once or twice...
- Not much punching like the others...
- I was looking for blood...

Yep... good action for me. Although I'm always in the market for a little more violence ;)

weaponx24

KOTCS did seem like it was toned down violence wise...I'm hoping that when/if theres an Indy V it will go back to the old way of things:whip:

Belloq

weaponx24 said:
KOTCS did seem like it was toned down violence wise...I'm hoping that when/if theres an Indy V it will go back to the old way of things:whip:

keep dreaming...

Lucas killed the old days long ago

And the next Indy film will probably be only starring Shia and his trusty side kick Short Round's son... played by Lil Bow wow

The Man

Belloq said:
keep dreaming...

Lucas killed the old days long ago

And the next Indy film will probably be only starring Shia and his trusty side kick Short Round's son... played by Lil Bow wow

shia-labeouf-400ds0827.jpg

"Later, dudes! I gotta go save my Daddy-oh!"

lil_bow_wow.jpg

"Do I look like a sidekick-b!tch to you b!tches?!"

Darth Vile

Belloq said:

I'd like to see that movie made... just to see the comments ;)

Benraianajones

weaponx24 said:

Yes KOTCS violence was toned down - and I found it interesting though they decided to show people struggling engulfed in fire from the rocket sleigh engine. It seemed to be mainly gun usage that was cut out.

mattzilla2010

nitzsche said:
I think the average moviegoer understands what Oxley meant by "space between spaces" since he had already explained they were inter-dimensional beings earlier. "Space between spaces" is all that's needed as an explanation. If he had explained further, we'd be hearing complaints about it being too sci-fi.

As if we don't already hear complaints about it being too sci-fi...

Benraianajones

Of course - we aren't going to get a hard, detailed explination of where they went. It is meant to leave us in mystery. However it could be said that since so much was revealed anyway the mystery had been sort of ruined anyway.

James

The Man said:
the same man nearly died from typhus looking for a temple that was visible from outer-space.

Indy nearly died of typhus while looking for a city made of solid gold.

Not just another set of common temple ruins in the middle of the Amazon.

Benraianajones

To be honest - when you consider the 3 huge waterfall drops in the jungle - the ground level the temple was on must have been rather low down , plus admist all that jungle growth. Also, it is true they were looking for a city made of gold - not a regular looking mayan styled temple.

The Man

James said:
Indy nearly died of typhus while looking for a city made of solid gold.

Not just another set of common temple ruins in the middle of the Amazon.

Since the 'city' essentially was the temple, and the 'gold' was, er, knowledge, such a backstory only serves to make Indy even dumber.

The vintage, well-written Indiana Jones would have divined the truth in the riddles and discover the location without a psychic, magnetic, tooth-floss-stuffed head of an interdimensional alien telling him what to do.

Darth Vile

The Man said:
Since the 'city' essentially was the temple, and the 'gold' was, er, knowledge, such a backstory only serves to make Indy even dumber.

The vintage, well-written Indiana Jones would have divined the truth in the riddles and discover the location without a psychic, magnetic, tooth-floss-stuffed head of an interdimensional alien telling him what to do.

What you mean like finding the Sankara stones in "the basement"? ;)

Silentrascal

Darth Vile said:
What you mean like finding the Sankara stones in "the basement"? ;)

At least that kind of treasure-finding initiative is more in harmony with Indiana Jones and what he's about.....as opposed to an ancient Aztec pyramid hiding an alien spaceship.

Darth Vile

Silentrascal said:
At least that kind of treasure-finding initiative is more in harmony with Indiana Jones and what he's about.....as opposed to an ancient Aztec pyramid hiding an alien spaceship.

Not sure about that... Think about it in the chronological order that the movies were released. We went from a big, bold and intelligent 'Raiders' to a campy cartoon where Indy literally landed in the middle of the story... which centered around the abduction of kids and featured a child as one of the main protagonists. Very little initiative involved me thinks...