Where's The Love?

Perhilion

Why is it that Indy has been shafted at every turn lately? A great next gen game is in development, then BOOM cancelled. The toy line is discontinued, a new novel cancelled, virtually nothing at ComicCon, and writers can't resist making a "clever" aside about nuked fridges at every opportunity. Seriously, what the hell? Indy is nearly a joke. Does no one care about the series any more?

The Drifter

No, but seriously. Indiana Jones is a niche market. Not many normal Joes will buy anything to do with the line outside of the movies. My dad got me into the movies when I was a kid, but would he buy any novels, video games, from it? Nope.
Would he read up on the internet about it or join a forum dedicated to it? Hell nope!
There's your answer.

DocWhiskey

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Let me go grab a sandwich from the fridge real fast. . . . .
Damn, I just got 'nuked! :gun:

That's all right, Lonsome, Subway is open late so you could quit monkeying around and just swing by there.

OOOOOOh. :eek:

But seriously, I talked to a ton of people at Chicago Comic Con from Indyfans to casuals and they all still love Indy. Many adults said they weren't crazy about the 4th one (a lot said they actually liked the fridge nuking) but plenty of kids told me how they loved all the films. There was one loud mouth type that said the 4th one was terrible because of aliens and he hated as much as ToD. :rolleyes: But it didn't bug me. Everyone agreed that they could watch RotLA forever though.

Perhilion

I think if it got the same attention as Star Wars, plenty of people would play the games and read the books.

Chewbacca Jones

Well, it's always been tough to get movies of the action genre to stick to the wall the way Sci Fi and Superheroes do. For example, you've never seen a Die Hard merchandising blizt, have you? But it's still regarded as one of the greatest action film franchises ever. Add to it the throw-away habits of the contemporary audience, and it's even easier to see why Indy is already just a snigger and a shrug for most people.

And lets be honest about Star Wars. It's already overstayed it's welcome, and has become overexposed. Heck, it was almost overexposed before Episode 2 came out! Now, everytime something new relating to Star Wars pops up, I can hear groans from around the globe just by stepping outside my door. Ol' George just won't let it die.

The simple fact is, movies like Indiana Jones don't get the kind same kind of geek cred as things like Star Wars and Star Trek. These days, that gives every action hero a limited run of popularity before he needs a new movie out. Sad, but evidently true. :(

lao che & sons

Man Lonsome and Doc, you 2 are like the class clowns of the raven;)

But the sad fact is that major companies do not see much of a fanbase for indy. Sure almost everyone who has seen the series likes it but that doesn't mean they're going to buy merchandise from it. In fact a lot of people I know like Indy MORE than star wars but didn't even buy a single piece of indy merchandise, yet stock up on star wars merch. I even got a couple battle packs and action figures and man do I want that giant monster (forgot the name from episode 6 that comes with anakin) Star wars is just smacked up in your face so much that I couldn't resist. I personally LOVE the original str wars trilogy but have the prequal trilogy, but that's just me. See? I just got carried off about star wars that I almost forgot about the main topic. Well I'm tired of Indy getting the down end. I tired of indiana jones wimpering in the corner while star wars gets all the glory. It's about time that something be done about it! I'm sick and tired of everything indy being canceled: the hasbro line, the magazines, the staff of kings book. Give star wars a break for a few years, I wen't to target today and all of the indy legos were whipped off the shelf except for the venice chase and 1 fighter plane attack, all of the star wars sts were there neat as a whisle and not touched, the star wars action figures were stacking rather high with a thousand different kinds of stormstroopers that honesetly I think they just make up, I mean really who cares of it's the same figure but now green and with a bigger gun geeze. I think that a lot of people are getting sick of star wars becoming almost a daily part of life.

I also just remembered how bad the clone wars movie was and you don't hear us indy fans bashing on it, but instead star wars fans take KOTCS and nuke it then take the remains and swing with some monkeys to the golden trash can/ space ship thingy and throw it away. Man! I got myself all worked up now, I'm gonna go watch the munsters:rolleyes:

Morning Bell

It's a sad fact but those of us here are in the minority. Many people like the Indiana Jones movies but very few are devoted enough to spend time and money on merchandise and peripheral items, hence why Star Wars and other franchises get more attention. I do think in the last year we've been really fortunate, between getting a new film, another toy line from all four movies, LEGO sets, a new novel next month, a couple new video games, and more. I'm sad to see it starting to dry up but at least we got a resurgence of Indy for a brief time and if Indy V ever gets made then we'll no doubt see it come back again.

In the meantime I'm content to enjoy what we have and remain optimistic that more Indy is on the way in whatever form it may take.:hat:

James

It's always been a niche franchise. Even the stuff that has stuck around for a while (ie. Marvel comics; Young Indy) still managed to divide the fanbase.

A large part of it does seem to be that audiences view Indiana Jones as a vehicle for Harrison Ford. Much like (the aforementioned) Die Hard or Dirty Harry, this just isn't a series where the universe took on a life of its own (ala Star Wars). It's not unusual to meet someone who loves ROTLA, yet has no idea who "Toht" or "Gobler" are.

So I don't see any great apathy towards Indy that wasn't there 25 years ago. By August 1985, younger audiences were more concerned with Rambo and The Goonies than the previous year's offerings.

It just seems like Indy's fallen out of favor because we have so much more access to his criticism and awareness of the cancellations. But when compared to what fans got with TOD and LC, KOTCS was a marketing overload.

jamiestarr

It seems to me that comparing Indiana Jones to Star Wars in terms of merchandise is a mistake. Sure, they are both Lucas's HUGE movie franchises, but the Indiana Jones has always been (as people have said) more niche in terms of toys, comics, etc. Also, Indy is less kid friendly compared to Star Wars.

Even in 1981, Indiana Jones stuff wasn't selling gangbusters or as well as Star Wars stuff. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Instead of comparing Indy's merchandise sales to Star Wars, I'd urge you to consider James Bond. This franchise has been around and thriving since the 60's, but if you walk into Target it is not like you see a lot of 007 stuff to buy. Even with Quantum of Solace, there simply is not a lot of demand for 007 "stuff". Same with Indiana Jones....it appeals to a more adult consumer...one who is not necessarily a rabid fanboy type.

Dr.Sartorius

Perhilion said:
Why is it that Indy has been shafted at every turn lately? A great next gen game is in development, then BOOM cancelled. The toy line is discontinued, a new novel cancelled, virtually nothing at ComicCon, and writers can't resist making a "clever" aside about nuked fridges at every opportunity. Seriously, what the hell? Indy is nearly a joke. Does no one care about the series any more?

The Bond franchise doesn't have any of these things going for it either. Does that mean no one cares about Bond? Of course not. Most people just care about the movies. If Indy V was in active development it would have had a presence at Comic Con.

Goonie

James said:
So I don't see any great apathy towards Indy that wasn't there 25 years ago. By August 1985, younger audiences were more concerned with Rambo and The Goonies than the previous year's offerings.

But Goonies has Short Round!(y)

lao che & sons said:
Man Lonsome and Doc, you 2 are like the class clowns of the raven;)

But the sad fact is that major companies do not see much of a fanbase for indy. Sure almost everyone who has seen the series likes it but that doesn't mean they're going to buy merchandise from it.

They dropped the ball years ago. They "forced" Kenner into the IJ toys and they did the same with Hasbro. There was no real thought behind the line. Some of the stuff was cool but when you put out an Indy figure suffering from Strabismus what do you expect. Crap in/crap out.

Mickiana

Strabismus?!!! Is that really true? That's a hoot! Didn't Indy end up in an eye patch sometime? I seem to recall reading it somewhere. If so, maybe the eyepatch was to treat the strabismus!!

Ironclaw

As someone mentioned before, Indy is a niche market. Like other media of that sort, you only really see a great deal of marketing/products for it when there is an upcoming film. That's just the way it is.

Nobody mentions the real problem, though: the property was essentially abandoned between films. Sure, you had some small things here and there; a couple video games Expanded Universe books, but that was it. And don't get me started on Young Indy.

I know Star Wars also had a large gap between films, but there was always a market for it; things kept getting released to renew interest. I can't honestly say there wasn't a time when I didn't see Star Wars or Transformers action figures in a toy store somewhere. To keep a media property at the forefront of the public eye, you have to either A) Keep releasing quality products at a steady pace, or B) Keep making movies/TV shows (in the same vein as the movies).

With the slipshod quality of the "Kingdom" figures (the exception being the Lego Indy line, which while awesome, is a tad expensive), I can safely say "A" wasn't met, and given there was 19 years between times we saw Ford deck someone in the hat, "B" wasn't satisfied either. Properties like Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who, Transformers, etc. almost always have something new.

To put not too fine a point on it, most of Indy's strengths come from the old films, not what's new, because there isn't anything new being done with it. The smartest thing they could have done was 2-3 more Indy films in the 19-year gap, and they didn't. If that was the case, you'd see Indy being a little more high-profile than his current "niche" status.

Mickiana said:
Strabismus?!!! Is that really true? That's a hoot! Didn't Indy end up in an eye patch sometime? I seem to recall reading it somewhere. If so, maybe the eyepatch was to treat the strabismus!!

Lol!

Finally we have the answer to the whole eye patch ordeal!

Indy wears his eye patch because of a Hasbro Voo Doo Curse!

:hat:

jamiestarr

Ironclaw said:
As someone mentioned before, Indy is a niche market. Like other media of that sort, you only really see a great deal of marketing/products for it when there is an upcoming film. That's just the way it is.

Nobody mentions the real problem, though: the property was essentially abandoned between films. Sure, you had some small things here and there; a couple video games Expanded Universe books, but that was it. And don't get me started on Young Indy.

I know Star Wars also had a large gap between films, but there was always a market for it; things kept getting released to renew interest. I can't honestly say there wasn't a time when I didn't see Star Wars or Transformers action figures in a toy store somewhere. To keep a media property at the forefront of the public eye, you have to either A) Keep releasing quality products at a steady pace, or B) Keep making movies/TV shows (in the same vein as the movies).

With the slipshod quality of the "Kingdom" figures (the exception being the Lego Indy line, which while awesome, is a tad expensive), I can safely say "A" wasn't met, and given there was 19 years between times we saw Ford deck someone in the hat, "B" wasn't satisfied either. Properties like Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who, Transformers, etc. almost always have something new.

To put not too fine a point on it, most of Indy's strengths come from the old films, not what's new, because there isn't anything new being done with it. The smartest thing they could have done was 2-3 more Indy films in the 19-year gap, and they didn't. If that was the case, you'd see Indy being a little more high-profile than his current "niche" status.

I agree with most of this.
It seems to me that Lucasfilm could maximize Indiana Jones and give the franchise legs. Honestly, there was a HUGE gap in Star Wars visibility from 1985ish to 1991. Yes, there was a demand for Star Wars stuff froms fans, Lucasfilm worked it's ass off to put Star Wars back into the front of the public's mind. It is a bit perplexing to me that as much effort is not used for Indiana Jones.

As has been pointed out, he is matched only by 007 in terms of action/adventure hero recognizability.