Why did Indy say that?

Indyologist

In the "love scene" in Willie's room in Temple of Doom, Indy is obviously going to "get some," but then he makes that "I don't want to prejudice my experiment" comment. Didn't he know that this would ruin his chances of getting some "noturnal activities?" Why did he say this? What does this tell us about Indy's character?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Because it was in the script.

:)

Okay, Okay. This is bound to cause a ruckus, or die faster than a dart laden South American grunt.

Here is some of why Indiana said this:
  • Willie suddenly became very curious about HIM.....
  • Willie mysteriously wanted to find out more about INDY....
  • Willie (who Indy wanted) may have thought she was out of his league suddenly became incredibly fascinated in his presence.....
It was a very calculated move to demonstrate his authority over a woman.

Blofeld

I agree, it was him trying to get the upper hand on Willie. He used all those acadamic terms todo the same thing while they were flirting....

HovitosKing

Because Indiana Jones is cool in the face of excitement. He's not about to go melting into a pathetic pile of worshipfulness just because Willie is showing some interest. He was playing hard to get. Women want what they can't have. Psychology 101.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I don't mean to add fuel to the fire here, but could be potentially chalk this one up to the somewhat intolerant aspects of Temple of Doom, in which we see Indy as chauvinist?

theinfiniteweird

His pride went way over the top. He made a joke he knew he could make. His 'experimenbt' were probably other women he had 'gotten some' from before, and maybe he was joking about saying she wouldn't be good enough. She gets her pride hurt.

He just thinks he's too cool.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Attila the Professor said:
I don't mean to add fuel to the fire here, but could be potentially chalk this one up to the somewhat intolerant aspects of Temple of Doom, in which we see Indy as chauvinist?

Any thoughts on this?

Canyon

Re: Because it was in the script.

apalehorse said:

Here is some of why Indiana said this:
  • Willie suddenly became very curious about HIM.....

• Believe me. I'd be more than curious! :p

apalehorse said:

[*]Willie mysteriously wanted to find out more about INDY....

Can't say I blame her really...

apalehorse said:

[*]Willie (who Indy wanted) may have thought she was out of his league suddenly became incredibly fascinated in his presence.....

Incredibly fascinated? Well of course! *Sigh* What lady wouldn't be?!

It was a very calculated move to demonstrate his authority over a woman.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Authority eh? Noctural activities with Dr. Jones? Yes please! :)

I think that Indy was, in fact, playing very hard to get. He liked her from the moment he saw her in Club Obi Wan, and he knew that she liked him. Their relationship up to this point was not so good, but the further on that the adventure progresses, and the more time that Willie spends with Indy, she begins to realise that he is not only a great person but is in fact, an absolute dreamboat!

Just a little pic for the girls....
indianajones2_15.jpg

Attila the Professor

Staff member
theinfiniteweird said:
No. No were in any of the movies does it ever imply Indy to be chauvinist.

Sure of that? Even though it is very much of the tradition of the serial hero to be a chauvinist to such types as women, other cultures, and traditional defenders of values?
I'd like to consider this question in further depth, if you don't mind, particularly in terms of Temple of Doom. Can anyone think of instances of Indy being a chauvinist?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Good one, Thanatos.

Perhaps his whole treatment of the legend of the Sankara Stones and the "Shiva made you fall from sky" thing in the village and early Pankot scenes have some chauvinism behind them.

Canyon

Indy sexist? No way! Put it this way. If Indy was a chauvinist I wouldn't like him becuase I hate sexism.

Joe Brody

Indy-a-sexist?

This is a good issue and I've been mulling it over but I can't come to any conclusions.

In Raiders, I've always thought by leaving Marion a prisioner, IJ was treating Marion as an equal and trusting her not to betray him. Would a guy who has no respect for the fairer sex take that risk? . . .or is IJ a guy whose ego is so huge that he assumes that Marion could never betray him? Given the earlier scenes in Cairo, I'm inclined to the former.

Otherwise, I don't think Raiders offers much grist for mill on this issue -- but it would have been interesting to see IJ's reaction when Marion declares herself his partner outside the remains of the Raven. By ending the scene with that word, I think the safe assumption -- from a narrative standpoint -- is that they were partners and equals.

I'm sure ToD and LC offers more debatable content . . . .

Pale Horse

Staff member
"Since I was nice enough to let you tag along, why don't you give your mouth a rest? Okay, doll?

hmmmmm, very suspect.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
True, the entire relationship with Willie was fraught with that kind of stuff.

What about the way Indy and Henry smile at the female Nazi, as if they think they can charm her into escaping?

Coldfyre

Attila the Professor said:

I think so. This scene really lowered my opinion of Indy, both because he acted like an egotistical pig and because he was going after Willie, who by this point I was wishing wasn't in the movie at all... both this scene and the scene at the end where he grabs Willie with the whip, which somehow magically makes her more attracted to him... probably my two least favorite scenes in the trilogy.

[Edited by Coldfyre on 11-22-2003 at 10:45 pm]