Will it make a profit?

Dust McAlan

Here's something that I found interesting on wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
The film will need to gross at least US$400 million to make a profit for Paramount. Unlike other film franchises, they are only the distributor of Indiana Jones, which is copyrighted by Lucasfilm, and their original deal entailed they would only earn 12.5 percent of the film's revenue. As the $185 million budget was larger than expected,[100] Lucas, Spielberg and Ford turned down large upfront salaries so Paramount could cover the film's costs; only if it grosses $400 million will they see a profit.[84]
Wow. The movie has to make $400 mil domestic just to turn a nickel. That's....wow.

Hopefully the predictions of $160 million opening weekend will be true, as that will be the first step in the right direction.

What do you gents think? In today's age of movies making less and less post-opening weekend, can Indiana Jones do better than $400 million in the US? My guess is yes, or rather my hope is yes, but that's a lot of money.

Skipper

Dust McAlan said:
Wow. The movie has to make $400 mil domestic just to turn a nickel. That's....wow.
Where are you getting the "domestic" requirement? I think the Wikipedia entry was just saying that the $400m is in US dollars, not that it has to be domestic revenue.

Dust McAlan

Skipper said:
Where are you getting the "domestic" requirement? I think the Wikipedia entry was just saying that the $400m is in US dollars, not that it has to be domestic revenue.
Very good point. I always forget that when you put the US or UK before the dollar amount that that's what it is in that currency. Good catch.

Nevermind, we're safe then. :D

Skipper

The big question is, does Paramount get any revenue from the sale of Indiana Jones playing cards, Indiana Jones M&M's, or Indiana Jones Mr. Potato Heads?

surfengine

I dont think there is any doubt it will make a profit.
Besides it will probably gross $600M domestic and another $400M world.

Remember though, about 50% of gross goes to the theatres.

Crack that whip

Skipper said:
The big question is, does Paramount get any revenue from the sale of Indiana Jones playing cards, Indiana Jones M&M's, or Indiana Jones Mr. Potato Heads?

I believe the answer is yes, if by "revenue" you mean "diddly-squat."

donufro

It will easily make a profit.

World revenues are usually more than domestic for a movie like this. I predict $350 mil domestic, $450 mil world.

Not to mention DVDs and rentals in the future.

oki9Sedo

I don't know how the money is distributed to the different parties involved, but you can take it that the executives at Paramount aren't stupid.

Guys, Domestic is U.S. gross, Foreign is international. While I have no doubt it will make back it's $185 mil budget in the first weekend, Indy is going to have a long fight to make it to $400. Star Wars Episode I made $430 mil domestic and $600 mil worldwide.

Here's how the other grosses for the series were:

Raiders of the Lost Ark:

U.S. $206,562,121
Foreign: $141,766,000
Worldwide: $384,140,454
Adjusted: $606,416,00

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom:

U.S. $179,870,271
Foreign: $153,237,000
Worldwide: $333,107,271
Adjusted: $368,305,800

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

U.S. $197,171,806
Foreign: $277,000,00
Worldwide: $474,171,806
Adjusted: $339,985,500

Dust McAlan

rowerguy7 said:
will it make a profit?

did you even need to ask that question?
Look at the OP. It has to make $400 million US dollars before it makes a profit. It has to reach that amount and THEN sales count as profit.

It's math. Can a movie in this day and age of dwindling ticket sales reach $400 million and then much more beyond? Obviously there's DVD sales to consider, but think about how difficult and rare such a feat is for summer movies nowadays.

Tempest19

Something seems off about that, plus remember it's wikipedia. The site that everyone can edit to say whatever they want. ;)

I don't think the studio would ever run that big of a risk.

eroc

I don't want to say that's a stupid question, cause there aren't any.

You are right, this movie has to make $400mil to turn a profit, but I think this movie will make that domestically real quick. I mean, this is the type of movie everyone needs right now. Pure escapism. It may surpass Titantic...one can only hope.

This movie might be the best movie made in 20 years.(y)

Shortie

I highly doubt we'll see something surpass Titanic, if Indy does then we'll be seeing Indy V in 2010.

I think it'll do good enough to reach the top 20 Domestic & top 15 world wide.

Adamwankenobi