Will TOFE get a make over?

IndyFan89

Now that KOCS is in the can I've been thinking, could Disneyland's Indiana Jones attraction (which i have been on a million and one times) get a make over? They did it to Pirates why not Indy? Disneysea already has a Crystal Skull ride lol. I also herd that the Indiana Jones stunt show in Disney's MGM studios in Orlando is getting a new scene added from KOCS and that Star Tours is getting a complete make over.

I go to LA twice to 3 times every year for weeks at a time and i would like to see some new stuff added to the ride. Maybe a better Harrison Ford Robot because the one they got now doesn't even look like him.

Look at Johnny Depp's robot:

doubledepp1.jpg

Now HF's:

indyhang.jpg

What do you guys think?

NOTE: Please forgive me if this has been discused. :hat:

NileQT87

whoa. i didn't realize the dummy looked that much like a texas cowboy in the wrong outfit. are you sure that's one of the ones in anaheim?! because i've been on that ride a zillion times and never thought he looked as bad as that picture suggests.

but what i do wish would happen is that harrison ford REALLY needs to do a voice-over track. the voice-over artist is really obviously not him. along with rhys-davies, it would add so much class to the ride to have harrison's voice.

here's a better one:

IMG_18672.JPG

Rivers

Nothing is in the plans right now...usually refurbs and enhancements are planned very well in advance. Nothing has been planned other than regular maitenance refurbs

JimmyPSHayes

I was going to make a trip out there this past September. I hadn't been to Disneyland since I was a kid. But then I decided to wait until next year after KOTCS was out. If they did refurbish the ride, I wanted to make sure that I saw it. Kinda disappointed that they're not going to. I thought they'd do something for KOTCS and the fact that it looks like they're redoing a big part of the Star Wars attractions.

Michael24

I do wish they could have used Harrison Ford's likeness for the ride, though the Indys do look pretty good.

xfkirsten

I heard awhile back that it's up for refurb early next year for a month or two, but it's been awhile since I've heard updates on that. But you can't redo a ride that fast. The POTC makeover took months and months... and it's not like they changed a whole lot around.

It's gonna take the entire refurb just to patch up the attraction. I love that ride to death, but it's in awful shape. Off the top of my head:
-Bamboo pole in the queue that rarely works (if it's even there!)
-Lack of falling debris (yes, I know that's been missing almost since day one because of idiotic planning)
-EVERYTHING about the rat room (bad effect, rarely works, bare walls, etc.)

And that's not even counting general maintenance issues and downtime issues. It seems like just yesterday that it had that massive refurb (what was it, two or three years ago now?) and it's already falling apart again.

The bitter cynic in me wants to know how much long-term damage was done to it by Cynthia Hariss and Paul Pressler and their budget-cutting regime.

Rivers

ya ...they did a major fix for Disneyland's 50th trying to get all the effects working properly, they even put in a new more realistic giant cobra. But that was the extent of it.
If anything they will wait and see how the movie does before anything is discussed (just like they did with Pirates)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
When I was there last year, all the stuff xfkirsten mentioned was actually working, except for the funphone just outside the ride- that was torn out by someone. A refurb and a new chamber (dedicated to KOTCS as per the Snakes to ROTLA, Fire and bugs to TOD and rats to LC) would be great, but I still very, very, very impressed by the ride when I went to Disneyland last year. We don't have rides like that here.

Michael24

I was just there in October, and the bamboo pole in the spike chamber is completely gone. The last time I was there, sometime in 2006, it was still there, but not working. I hope it comes back. That's a great surprise to pull on the first timers when the line gets back up. :D

Avilos

Maybe this is bogus story I am not sure-

I read that Harrison Ford was supposed to do Indy's voice in the ride. But on the condition that his name and voice would not be used in adverting it. He wanted to do it anonymously. But the day he showed up at Disney to record his lines, some idiot handed him a script for a TV commercial for the Ride to read in addtion to the actual Ride's dialogue. So HF walked out because they broke their promise.

Indy4fan

They are, the ride was closed around September and when I asked y, it was for "imagineering". I've been on Indy so many times and when it's closed it's usually for maintenance.

Niteshade007

Avilos said:

I read that Harrison Ford was supposed to do Indy's voice in the ride. But on the condition that his name and voice would not be used in adverting it. He wanted to do it anonymously. But the day he showed up at Disney to record his lines, some idiot handed him a script for a TV commercial for the Ride to read in addtion to the actual Ride's dialogue. So HF walked out because they broke their promise.

Sounds like complete BS to me.

As far as the ride goes, I've only ridden it a couple times (I've only been to DisneyLand once, stupid Disney World doesn't have it...) and the pole you all are talking about apparently didn't work. I do remember a bamboo pole in the line that said do not touch, but when you did, nothing happened.

xfkirsten

I do have to say I liked the new snake. Much better than the old one! I'd love to see the falling debris thing come back, but I know that that involves some pretty heavy construction work to get a new machine up in there, and so there's not much chance of that. :( (That's like asking for them to fix the bullet hole in the Haunted Mansion - not gonna happen :p)

Avilos said:

I've heard that story through the Disneyland fandom as well, but I've never heard anything to show it's more than an urban legend (nor have I heard any evidence to deny it).

Niteshade007 said:
Sounds like complete BS to me.

As far as the ride goes, I've only ridden it a couple times (I've only been to DisneyLand once, stupid Disney World doesn't have it...) and the pole you all are talking about apparently didn't work. I do remember a bamboo pole in the line that said do not touch, but when you did, nothing happened.

I think you're confusing two queue effects, but you get the general idea. One is a bamboo pole in the spike room, where when you pull it, there's a loud crash and the ceiling drops a bit. The other, where that sign is, is by a small well with a rope hanging into it. You pull on the rope, and someone working below yells at you. If you pull it three times in a row, the rope goes slack and your hear a yell and a crash. :p But that's another one that's sort of off-again-on-again, although it's more consistently working than the bamboo pole (or at least it was when I was an APer)

thebacklot

Avilos said:

My recollection is that it was for the Superbowl Special that year. If you remember they had a big float with an Indy look-alike and he was handed a script for that event, and thus he stepped out.

Avilos

thebacklot said:
My recollection is that it was for the Superbowl Special that year. If you remember they had a big float with an Indy look-alike and he was handed a script for that event, and thus he stepped out.

Yep. That is the story I heard, that it was for a Superbowl Special. But I have always been dubious about whether that really happened.

If real it is similar to something that happened to Robin Williams. He had made an agreement with Disney that his voice would not be used in commercials to sell toys and other products from "Aladdin". But they did so anyway! He was very pissed off. That is why he did not voice the Genie in the Direct to Video Aladdin sequel or the TV series. Years later Disney apologized to him and he voiced the Genie in the 3rd Aladdin movie.

But even then, that is different than this Ford rumor. They used Williams voice recordings in a different way than he wanted. The idea that Disney made a promise with Ford and then was dumb enough to give him lines for a TV special is hard to believe.

Last edited:

NoCamels

I wish Disneyworld had that ride, and that I still had a reason to go to Florida if it did. The one time I was at Disneyland was a year before it was built.

The stunt show is pretty cool, though. Maybe they'll add something new to that, too.

Niteshade007

Well, we (Disney World, that is) has the Indiana Jones stunt show, which is great, and one that I really enjoy. We also have Indiana Jones in the Great Movie ride at MGM (actually, now Disney's Hollywood Studios). AND we have the Indiana Jones ride...sort of. We have the same car and general idea in terms of the ride's mechanics, except it isn't Indiana Jones, it's a dinosaur themed ride at Animal Kingdom. That one's also a lot of fun, if you enjoy the ride for the thrill effect, and not just because it's Indiana Jones.

xfkirsten

Niteshade007 said:
AND we have the Indiana Jones ride...sort of. We have the same car and general idea in terms of the ride's mechanics, except it isn't Indiana Jones, it's a dinosaur themed ride at Animal Kingdom. That one's also a lot of fun, if you enjoy the ride for the thrill effect, and not just because it's Indiana Jones.

It's also the most deafening ride I've ever been on. ;) It makes the volume of DL's Fantasmic feel like a whisper. :p