Would you have liked a fifth story focusing on the Fountain of Youth?

StockdeFerry

Although I like the idea of time travel, I think the fountain of youth would have been better.
The part about Indy's facial rejuvenation could have been used for the final part of the film, when he drinks a bit from the fountain. And I can even imagine the villain dying as some of the legends tell - because of his ambition and greed - he drank too much water and became a baby. Ending up drowning in the fountain itself because he couldn't swim.

It would even have the factor of time, of rejuvenating or accepting your age. At one point, I can imagine Indy and Marion deciding to accept their age as life is only a one way journey.

The Lone Raider

It's a great idea - the only trouble is that the Fountain of Youth is really similar to the Holy Grail, and On Stranger Tides also (fairly) recently used the Fountain of Youth as a treasure/MacGuffin. So I don't know...if it means bringing Indy to the Caribbean circa thr Bay of Pigs Invasion, I'm all for it, though.

Spiked

It's a great idea - the only trouble is that the Fountain of Youth is really similar to the Holy Grail, and On Stranger Tides also (fairly) recently used the Fountain of Youth as a treasure/MacGuffin. So I don't know...if it means bringing Indy to the Caribbean circa thr Bay of Pigs Invasion, I'm all for it, though.

Walecs

It would feel like a retread of The Last Crusade, as The Lone Raider said. Plus, I fail to see what the stakes for this quest would be... A villain gets younger? Right, he's still not invincible and can be easily killed/arrested. And Indy doesn't strike to me as the kind of person who would care about extending his own life either.

Dr.Jonesy

I find the idea of a 'Fountain of Youth' Indy film almost trite, at this point. I've heard fans propose it so many times that it just sounds boring and played out, as far as ideas go.

It's almost too obvious of a MacGuffin.

Spiked

I find the idea of a 'Fountain of Youth' Indy film almost trite, at this point. I've heard fans propose it so many times that it just sounds boring and played out, as far as ideas go.

Right but I guess if it were ever to have worked the fifth film with Harrison's age would have been the time to explore it.

Spiked

I remember back in the 80s when I first heard the Holy Grail was the MacGuffin for LC I was underwhelmed (and not alone) as it was already well associated with Monty Python. But LC put their own spin on it. That could have been done with the fountain as well.

Lance Quazar

It's absolutely a trite and very hokey concept to build an Indy movie around for sure. ss

As others have said, the "immortality" angle of it was well-trodden by Last Crusade. So a big, fat no from me.

My_Pet_Snake-Reggie

Tbh the Antykithira is way more ingenious macguffin. Now, I wouldn't say a complete no to the fountain considering everything Indiana Jones. I think it could make for a fun comic maybe. Not good enough for a full blown IJ movie though. It still is a superior idea to whatever was that elixir of life business in Marvel's further adventures...

FordFan

Yes... but it's almost so on-the-nose for an Indiana Jones artifact, that I wouldn't trust anyone other than a committed Spielberg to do it. There would have to be a deliberate decision to not channel LC in any way. No Nazis, and Ford and Spielberg (through Indy) reflecting on aging in a way that is personal to them. And released closer to 2008 than 2023... yeah, I'd be down.

But if it's Spielberg phoning it in, or Indy by Disney committee, we're just getting reheated LC leftovers.

The Lone Raider

I'm actually working on a hand-drawn comic that takes place in the Caribbean in 1964. But the relic is a Taino idol that causes the strange phenomena within the Bermuda Triangle. I'm still trying to nail down themes and character motivations, but if there was to be another film between Kingdom and Destiny, this is the direction in which I would personally want it to go (at least in terms of geography and MacGuffin).

Dr.Jonesy

I'm actually working on a hand-drawn comic that takes place in the Caribbean in 1964. But the relic is a Taino idol that causes the strange phenomena within the Bermuda Triangle. I'm still trying to nail down themes and character motivations, but if there was to be another film between Kingdom and Destiny, this is the direction in which I would personally want it to go (at least in terms of geography and MacGuffin).
What's crazy to think about is a Bermuda Triangle Indy film would've or could've had a similar finale that the actual final film did - with a plane getting sucked into the clouds into some other time/space.

Lance Quazar

What's crazy to think about is a Bermuda Triangle Indy film would've or could've had a similar finale that the actual final film did - with a plane getting sucked into the clouds into some other time/space.
Yes, but there have been untold (generally bad) movies/shows with the Bermuda Triangle and none with the Antikythera mechanism The concept of the Triangle for an Indy film is just as bad/corny as the Fountain of Youth, if not moreso as its real-life lore is basically just pseudoscientific crapola.

StockdeFerry

When I saw the film with Indy in 1969, I had the impression that he had been 10 years or so without getting involved in a new adventure.

Spiked

Yes, but there have been untold (generally bad) movies/shows with the Bermuda Triangle and none with the Antikythera mechanism The concept of the Triangle for an Indy film is just as bad/corny as the Fountain of Youth, if not moreso as its real-life lore is basically just pseudoscientific crapola.
In the 60's and 70's the Bermuda Triangle was a big deal, especially that squadron of military fighters that vanished. I read everything I could about it.